before & after: riley’s striped entryway

lord knows i love a stripe, so i was happy to see d*s reader riley’s stripey entryway makeover. deciding that her entry hallway “lacked personality”, riley decided to make a statement with gray stripes and a chandelier she decided to paint red. the rug was handed down from riley’s mom and added the final touch. i personally love the little nook by the door with the table- i would love to have a little nook like that for keys and such. great work, riley! click here to read more about her makeover.

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images (low res, please).]

1. Donna says:

I love this makeover. The after is so chic and inviting. I don’t have as much of an entry but I’m going to do something similar!! Thanks for sharing, Riley.

2. MK says:

What a wonderful before & after to start my morning. I have been dreaming about painting our 25′ foot long hallway ever since my sister and I moved into our apt four years ago and this is definitely an incentive. Simply gorgeous!

3. Sasha K. says:

Wow! What a difference! Very nice. I particularly like the red chandelier against the gray.

4. Elizabeth says:

Great makeover the space has so much personality now.

5. nevis says:

Gorgeous! i totally love it!

6. Holy crud this is amazing! Every time I visit D*S I grumble more and more about renting instead of owning…one day I will have a run-down little house that I can buy with the sole purpose of making it a before/after! ;)

7. Oh my. Isn’t that so fabulous!

8. ladyloo says:

Love it all! But really diggin’ the umbrella stand.

9. Alison says:

I especially love that they extended the stripe into the inside of the archway. Fantastic.

10. Pat says:

A really terrific makeover with lots of personality. love the hit of red.

11. greybreaks says:

amazing. what a difference paint makes! huge fan of the mirror and lamp as well.

12. james says:

was the chandelier recently purchased? if so from where? what color was it before.

13. Carole says:

Not normally a lover of stripes but these work totally! Must be the depth of the strips making the space look so much bigger?

14. wow, that looks awesome!

15. Nita Stacy says:

Love this striped entry. The red chandelier, perfect. But my favorite is the mirror and the mercury glass lamp..love that. Great work!

16. visualingual says:

Hmm. There is something about the colors used for the stripes that really reminds me of concentration camps. I can’t get over that. I really like the concept, and even all the colors together, but I would prefer to see the stripes in different colors, or these colors but not as stripes.

17. So sophisticated, I love it! I painted vertical aqua and white stripes in my office b/c I thought it would look sophisticated. Unfortunately it now looks like a baby boys room, HAHA

18. Lovely! I have a soft spot for stripes, but have yet to find a place for them in my 1950s rancher. I need to get on that.

19. Jennifer says:

LOVE the stripes and red chandelier!

20. Katherine says:

Entryways are tough and set the tone for the rest of the living space – this is adorable, Riley!

21. Amy Cox says:

I’m doing my hallway this week – well clearing it anyway – maybe I need to think about a facelift as well…..Love these stripes

22. Emily says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! that side table is to die for!

23. Kim says:

I love that these stripes are bolder than some I’ve seen – it looks so warm! This sounds weird, but it reminds me a bit of a really classic sweater…maybe it’s the warmth, maybe it’s the way it envelops the space, either way, I mean it in a good way. :)

24. Suzette says:

Fantastic job!

25. this is my fantasy. i’ve been dreaming of doing this; always impressed when i see someone who did it!

26. Stella says:

I love that the entryway has personality now, but I don’t love the stripes! I think the greys were taken from the rug, but there isn’t enough burgundy in the room for me to feel that the rug belongs.

I would have painted it the lighter gray but a thick thick stripe of burgundy (or another color from the rug) around the room, to base all the new hooks. Or red like the chandelier with a darker burgundy stripe. Oh well, different stripes for different folks!

Great job though on taking really a horribly blah entry and making a strong design choice that is also functional!

27. Janet says:

JUST LOVE!

28. Oh snap! I love a horizontal stripe! Unfortunately, my husband does not. I have tried to explain it’s wonderfulness, but he’s so uncool he can’t grasp it’s power. :-)

29. Kelli Taylor says:

Love it! That must have been a lot of work!

30. Lila says:

Holy Moly- LOVE! Makes me want to hit the garage sales this weekend to find an old side table to refurbish. Can that chartreuse number be any cooler?

31. jen says:

wow! this looks amazing! so inspiring!

32. Gosh, I love stripes. I LOVE stripes–on clothing, furniture, walls, it’s all good. If I wasn’t so lazy about taping off the lines I’d try it myself.

A+

33. sarah says:

i love gray stripes! we did this for our daughter’s nursery:

34. love all of it! the stripes, the mirrored nook, the red chandelier – of course! You may want to update the rug…maybe something that covers more floor surface. Everything else is so clean and relaxing! great job!!

35. Eva says:

do like the stripes, but i think the doors are a bit too much now…

36. Jane says:

Love it! The grey stripes are so elegant and the red chandelier looks great and completes the overall look

37. Ann Marie says:

Awesome job! I’m loving that lamp. Where’s it from?

38. kelsey says:

This is completely gorgeous! I am so in love with grey lately and mixed with the stripes…oh it’s love. beautiful.

39. Harp Lounge says:

I love that effect! Wow. My mum has a Jocasta Innes interior design book from about 1980 that features a whole tiny studio apartment that was transformed with horizontal stripes like that. (I used to read it a lot.) They’re wizard in the right hands.

40. Andrea says:

Super cool – I love the chandelier!

41. Trica says:

Imagine if these doors were painted black…what a difference that would make.

42. Chichichick says:

Looks great, those stripes are hard to do, I know from experience. :)

43. San says:

Wow, just wow.

44. Steve says:

What a bog difference. The after looks amazing.