we like it wild: citrus and rosemary

bedside1
In honor of the new year we’ve decided to redouble our efforts to use locally grown flowers and produce in as many as arrangements as possible. This week was the perfect week to get started again: a little bit of rain and a little bit of warm sun meant that the fields have been pushing up new blooms all over our favorite local flower farms. Thanks to Northern California’s mild seasons and fertile soil, we’re blessed with amazing fruits and flowers throughout the year.

citrus2
During the wintertime California’s citrus fruits reach their peak meaning that we have a huge assortment of bright and tasty oranges, tangerines, and clementines to add some zest to our arrangements and our plates. While shopping the market we came across an oft overlooked member of the citrus family, the kumquat, and decided to make these little guys one of the featured players in this week’s post. Alongside some farm fresh ranunculus and rosemary from our backyard, we’ve put together a few ideas that are both fanciful and fragrant.

nest3
bouquet
Rosemary and citrus seem to go hand in hand. Rosemary’s pine scent compliments the clean and fresh sparkle of the citrus’ bouquet. Winding and weaving a few long switches of rosemary together makes a perfectly sweet-smelling nest to protect a few choice kumquat “eggs” on the dining table. Similarly, rosemary and kumquats are the perfect pair when added to bouquets and boutonnieres of citrus-colored ranunculus, leaving marvelously subtle smells in their wake.

marmalade4
Of course, there were so many lovely members of the citrus family calling out to us at the farmer’s market, we couldn’t leave anyone behind. We gathered a good armload to make some of Alethea’s Four Fruits Marmalade. The recipe is after the jump below!

CLICK HERE for the rest of studio choo’s post and the full recipe for their four fruits marmalade!

Four Fruits Marmalade

Juice and flesh from 2 blood oranges
10 thinly sliced kumquats (discard ends)
Juice and flesh from 1 large grapefruit
Juice and flesh from 2 Meyer lemons
2 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup water

1. Remove rind from all fruit with a vegetable peeler. (Set aside small piece of rind from all fruits to add in later)
2. Remove all of the white pith from the fruit. If left on this will make your marmalade very bitter!
3. Very thinly slice reserved rind into strips.
4. Add all ingredients including juice to a non-reactive (no metal) saucepan.
5. Bring to a boil and simmer until mixture begins to thicken about 45 minutes.
6. Once mixture has become thick and has been reduced by a third remove from heat and transfer to a heat-proof bowl and chill, covered, until cold, about 2 hours.
7. Marmalade will keep for two weeks, covered and chilled.

bouquet2
bout
market

1. These arrangements are so warm and happy! I love that little rosemary wreath.

2. Sarah says:

These are gorgeous little bouquets. Too bad there is little growing locally in MN at the moment (and never citrus).

3. bettye says:

oh! these pictures are keeping me warm on this chilly new york day!

4. Shannon says:

Those blood oranges look so yummy! What a way to brighten a cold winter day.
    Love the textures in the bouquet as well, bet it smells even better though!

5. How totally wonderful and amasing – here in the Northern Scandinavia we have a winter colder and snowier than in decades. So thank you for the orange-sunshine spread over the oceans today through this 10-p blog!
    Anna Bjornstrom, Sweden

6. julianne says:

thank you for week after week of beautiful, original ideas!! i love this!

am thinking of how to incorporate sage into a citrus-y arrangement now…

7. julianne says:

thank you for week after week of beautiful, original ideas!! i love this!

am thinking of how to incorporate other herbs like sage into a citrus-y arrangement now…

8. Bess says:

oh how I long to live in California… and long to eat that beautiful marmalade, what a gorgeous colour…
    thanks for adding a little zest to my day ;)

9. Love the combo of fruit and veggies with flowers. I never thought about putting herbs, but it gives the arrangements a whimsical flavor.

10. Katherine Duvigneau says:

Pure loveliness.

Thanks for the recipe!

11. Megan says:

How beautiful! I absolutely love the rosemary nest and the little lemon “eggs” — I can practically smell that photo. Thank you for such a lovely and inspiring post!

12. I absolutely love these bouquets! I love the idea of incorporating the rosemary. They are so warm and inviting – Perfect!

13. Tara says:

I can’t wait to try some marmalade! Sounds so yummy – and simple to make! Thanks!

14. Emma says:

This is lovely! Great concept.

15. Mouse says:

Blood oranges rock.

16. Nina Kincaid says:

so charming!! especially the kumquat nest. such a fun idea. your designs are always lovely…

i have been craving marmalade lately, so might just have to give that recipe a try!

17. Pins + Paper says:

The photographs are just as yummy as the fruits and veggies that are in them :)

~ Kristen

18. Sarah says:

Can you give us a how to for the rosemary birds nest? would make a lovely centerpieces for my wedding!

19. diana says:

delicious or gorgious or both! Love that nest! Nothing like that growing ere in Munich at the moment ;))

20. kelly says:

Your creations always hit the perfect note. I wish my computer was scratch and sniff, but I think I can already smell the photos. Thanks for all your gorgeous inspiration and cheer, always perfectly executed!

21. Novi says:

Love love love the kunquats nest! Yay for yummy marmalade!

22. Lauren says:

I LOVE the nest. It’s so very pretty!

23. artnek says:

excelent pictures, great colors for these bouquets.

24. The little nest is too cute. I’ve been eating clementines all week- Olsen Farms grows the best!

25. Karen E says:

California dreaming!

26. Tracey says:

Citrus and rosemark, two of my most favorite things! I love the kumquat rosemary nest. Adorable!

27. yen says:

these are all very lovely. lovely. :)

28. visualbenz says:

LOVE THE NEST!!!!!!!

29. OMG – I’m throwing a party to celebrate a BIG birthday tomorrow night and have been struggling with the flower arrangements. I knew I wanted to do something with citrus (we have mandarin and lemon trees ready to be picked in our garden), but the flowers at the market were just too sad looking. Matching with rosemary is genius and I’m lucky – I have a garden full (+25 plants). Yea!

30. Sarah says:

While this doesn’t go with the whole ordering locally thing, I’d love to plan DIY flower arrangements like this for my wedding next December–in Detroit (locally grown flowers in December aren’t really an option in any case). Some quick google-searches show that I couldn’t order them on branches due to regulations. Any ideas for replacement fruit to include, or other ways of showcasing this combination?

31. Sarah says:

(by “order them” I meant “order kumquats”)

32. Marie says:

Your photographs are always SO lovely! However do you do that?!? And I’m loving that bouquet. It’s so perfect. Thanks for this post. It really cheered me up.

33. Emilia says:

mmm! those blood oranges look amazing… my cousin has a grove of them in back of her house :) so yummy!

34. Sarah says:

This post made me so happy. I just had blood oranges in a salad tonight and now I have some great ideas for other ways to use them. Thank you!

35. adwoa says:

thank you so much: today has been awful, but this was exactly what i needed.

36. Jesse Lu says:

oh these arrangements are beautiful… I’ve got to try some of these soon. You ladies always have such lovely ideas and you make them seem so practical. So funny that the theme is citrus and rosemary. What a lovely combo, today my friend posted a recipe for rosemary lemon shortbread that I’ve got to try… Maybe I’ll do both!

37. Katharine says:

Wow! What stunningly beautiful arrangements. I only wish my rosemary grew as robust as yours! Just beautiful. So cheery.

38. J. M. Hunter says:

This is beautiful – thanks for sharing this! I wish we could get the types of flowers you used in Louisiana without having to import them.

39. Studio Choo says:

Sarah- you might want to check in with a local florist and see if they are able to special order any for you. You could also use small skewers or wire to place single fruits or small clusters in your arrangement. Feel free to email us if you have other questions :)

40. Sarah says:

Studio Choo, Thanks for the response… I’ll see what I can find out but might be emailing you later!

41. Donna Delfino says:

I would like to have seen these colors on walls instead of food. I would also like to do my beadroom suite in a soft gray , with white trim. Any pictures you could show me?