under $100: bookends (and a few splurges!)

lately i’ve been spending more time with books, as part of an attempt to back myself away from all of the screens i seem to live in front of 24/7. now that i’m picking up more things to read, i’ve found myself looking for better ways to store my “currently reading” books. i always get about a third of the way through something and decide to dive into something else, so my collection of “need to finish reading” is pretty extensive, so i thought perhaps displaying my books on my desk or spare counter space would inspire me to pick them back up (rather than getting lost in our sea of books on the shelf). i’ve got plenty of room on my desk, so i decided to find the perfect set of bookends to keep things tidy- and during my search i came across so many i thought i’d turn them into a roundup. so here are my favorite designs, all under $100. if you’re willing to up the budget a bit, i included a small splurge section after the jump, for beautiful designs that might warrant an extra trip to the atm. enjoy!

looking for more product guides? click here to check out our archives, including office accessories, lanterns, doortstops, bar stools and more..

[image above, clockwise from top left: alpha bookends $29.95, fishbowl bookends $59.99, brass bear bookends $49.95, standard issue bookends (fit onto shelves) $55, pear bookend $35.95 each, owl bookends $100, scissor bookends $45, gold brick bookends $75, fu dog bookends $49.95, klaus hackl bookends $87, fleur de lis bookends $35, agate bookends $99.95, quote/unquote bookends $89, owl bookends $79.91, birds on branches bookend $49.95]

CLICK HERE for the full 35+ bookend guide after the jump!

[images above, clockwise from top left: salvaged wood bookends $31, hand-stamped bookend $34, pig bookends $98, “book end” bookends $30]

[images above, clockwise from top left: silver apple bookend $20, vise bookends $69, corbel bookend $69, recycled wood bookends $52.80]

[images above, clockwise from top left: patio bookends $39, jax bookend $25, sparrow bookends $100, blob bookends $29.95]

SPLURGES: Bookends $100+

[images above, clockwise from top left: roost carved wood bookends $150-$170, bull bookends $120, fornasetti bookend $277]

[images above, clockwise from top left: dachshund bookends $150, fornasetti bookends $277, acrylic dachshund bookends $265, owl bookends $112, fornasetti bookends $277]

1. Christen says:

FYI the link for the fu dogs is taking me to the gold bricks…

1. grace says:

should be fixed…

2. tandy says:

these are all beautiful, and now I’ve got DIY on the brain. thanks, DS!

3. jennifer says:

These are great! If anyone is looking for more mineral bookend options, this little shop in Santa, Fe has some beautiful ones for super cheap: http://tinyurl.com/yaomjj2

4. Keli says:

I do think the fishbowl bookends are a terrible and inhumane idea.

5. Sasha K. says:

Love the jax and the geodes!

6. hampton says:

jonathan adler also has his mini home line at barnes and noble and there is a more affordable ($40) version of the dachshund bookends there. it’s sold out online but some stores still have them. http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Jonathan-Adler-Dachshund-White-Resin-Bookends/e/9781615560479/?itm=66&USRI=jonathan+adler

7. i love the scissor(s) one.

s or no s? what is the correct way to refer to a pair of book ends made from scissors? time to go back to school. i’m forgetting grammar + spelling.

8. Karl T. says:

Wow! Thanks for including my bookends! I think the links may be a bit messed up though–the Love “hand-stamped” is missing a jump link, and the ones to the left (my bookends) are missing a link title. However, the current “hand-stamped” link jumps to my shop. Hope that makes sense…thanks again!!

9. Jody says:

Love the little sparrows! FYI, I think the bookends shown just after the jump got a bit jumbled?? There is no link for the first pair (the vintage/salvaged bookends from halfpintsalvage), but the’hand-stamped bookend’ link takes you to them rather than to the actual hand-stamped pair ;)

10. I really love the quote/unquote one! Such a great find!

11. jessica says:

these are all great!

thanks for sharing!

12. Nadia says:

I though the fish tanks were great until I realized that those are real fish in there! Perhaps a more humane and practical alternative would be to get plastic fish and fill the bookends with some sort of clear liquid-turned-solid substance. Any ideas for what could work?

1. grace says:

quick note- you can easily use the glass bookends for terrariums for plants :)

13. Jessica says:

I just love the little birds on the branches- how cute! And I also like the quirkiness of the scissors!

14. Sarah says:

I’ve been trying to find the perfect bookend (within my price range) for ages. I’d seen the jax on eBay but they always go too high–good to know they’re being remade!

I’m also thinking that it wouldn’t be too hard to get a similar effect to the fornasetti bookends with some standard plain ones, paper, and mod podge. Hmm.

15. sara says:

those bears!! so great!

16. jaeve says:

these are all freaking amazing bookends. I am in need of two sets and I’m sure I’ll be choosing from one of these! Thanks for the post!

17. Barbara says:

I love these! Thanks for sharing!

18. oh, love! this wonderful post is tailor made for bibliophiles like me. the jacks, blob, korbel and book/end ones are impossibly cute.

19. Abby says:

Love all the options for this often-neglected home accessory. My favorite are the gold brick ones.

20. Amy Cox says:

I need the apple ones – they go with my name. Cox. The pears and the scissors are lush as well!

21. These are all great!! Love the vices especially. There are some cute ones on etsy too.

22. kiki says:

oh the bears! the bears! so much fun :)

23. Rosemary says:

Thanks for this Grace! So many good ideas!

I was considering Jonathan Adler’s dachshund set, but the idea of doing little terrariums in those Target bookends is genius/adorable and perfect for my house!

24. derek says:

I really like those gold bricks…great post.

25. lin says:

Friendly tip:
    I’ve seen geode bookends at Marshall’s Home Goods from between $12-30 (or so). Check out your local store before hitting up Anthro! :)

26. evelyn says:

The “fishbowl” bookends would be awesome terrariums, or even vases or filled with little things, like tiny origami cranes or old buttons. Just please don’t use these for fish! 10 gallons per goldfish, if you would like them to stick around for any length of time.

27. You have no idea how long I’ve been looking for the perfect bookends! Thank you for the wonderful selection.

28. Morgan says:

I love those agate bookends. so gorgeous.

29. Teresa says:

whoa!! What an amazing selection!! I’m in love with the bear bookends… and then the vise bookends… and then the sparrows… oh my. I may have to start a new collection…

30. Dodi says:

I’ve been looking for bookends, too. What a fantastic selection; how will I choose?! (When I clicked through to Target for the fishbowl bookends, I had a better time reading the comments than looking at the product. I see the discussion continues here.)

31. Kelli Doussan says:

Thanks for including the sparrows I suggested! I just fell in love with them when I saw them!

32. Mariss says:

I love the jax bookmarks! And they’re quite affordable. Thanks for the link!

33. linda says:

i got a gorgeous pair of onyx bookends at 10,000 villages: http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/triangular-onyx-bookends they are cream, green and have a little orange in them. they are quite inexpensive too. the pic doesn’t do them justice at all. i covet all their onyx products. speaking of justice 10,000 villages is fair trade shop.

34. lauren says:

another 10000 villages plug. i really like these owl bookends.
    also really nice inexpensive (yet still fair trade!) solution.

35. Ander Lopez says:

Found some at a Pipe & Pepper’s ETSY site today: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36545761. These are some bronze beauties!

36. Debra says:

I was absolutely ecstatic to see my handstamped “love” bookend included among all your beautiful finds. Many thanks!

37. karoline says:

nice page, I love it!

38. We use bookends to be more organized at books. It is appropriate to the person who loves reading books. It is easy to manage and looks clean when it’s used.