sneak peek: sanna annukka and jasper goodall

i’ve always loved the work of illustrator sanna annukka for the way that it weaves her finnish roots and interest in nature and folklore into her style.  today we’re so pleased to share with you a look into her 3-story victorian house that is a 15-minute walk from the brighton seafront, which she shares with her equally as talented graphic designer husband, jasper goodall. don’t miss all the images after the jump, and click here for additional, full-sized images. {thanks sanna!}anne

[above: Vintage wallhanging above bed is made by Kainuun Pirttu. It was made in the region of Finland (Kainuu) where I spent most my childhood summers. African mask bought during recent travels to South Africa. The little woven rug is from Sweden, purchased on ebay.]

Victorian marble fireplace with original tiles. Above the fire place is an old Whiskey advertising mirror that would have originally been situated in an Irish pub. The scary mask is from our travels to South Africa.

Walls are covered with framed vintage travel posters. A mexican rug with Aztec motifs covers the sofa. Reindeer rugs we pick up from the harbour market in Helsinki.

The kitchen is awaiting a complete renovation. Plan is to build a double story height glass roof to bring extra light into that part of the house. Jasper and I want to custom design all the cupboards and work surfaces too. Currently the kitchen is an eclectic mix of free standing kitchen furniture.

CLICK HERE for the rest of sanna and jasper’s peek after the jump!

Some more Finel items on display.

More vintage prints cover the walls. Above fireplace is my Maidens of the Midnight Sun print. Reindeer seat pads are from Lapland.

Jasper and I love this copper boiler, the hot bath water spurts out of it’s nozzle and is quite a novelty feature! The penguin we bought from an antique shop in Brighton. It used to be part of a fountain at a zoo.

I have a strange marble basin in the bedroom. It was there before Jasper and I moved in. I tiled it with a mix of different vintage tiles to bring color to that corner of the room. The lampshade is vintage enamel made by Finel. I like to collect decorative tins/canisters and stick houseplants in them which is what you can see on the table.

The lampshade is made entirely of corrugated cardboard by talented designer Tabatha Bargh.

My studio has a mezzanine floor which i’m supposed to use as a relaxing reading area but it currently filled with boxes! The chest of drawers was bought from ebay, perfect to hide lots of bits and bobs in although I can never remember what drawer I put what in and so end up having to open a dozen of them before I find what i’m looking for :D I like to keep visual moodboards so I pin anything up that triggers some inspiration. The print behind my computer is one of my latest screen prints ‘Spirits of the North.’

1. Alison says:

I love it – I have been coveting those enamel Kaj Franck lamps, and am so happy to see one in such a beautiful home. You display your collections and integrate them into your home so effortlessly, and the result is a beautiful home that feels really loved.

NB: I am a little surprised at some of the comments about the pelts, since there have been a lot of other sneak peeks featuring sheepskins, and no one has made a peep. At least the skins featured in this home carry cultural significance, and weren’t just purchased out of a bin at Ikea.

2. Sukh says:

Loved everything about it. The colors, the combinations. every nook and corner of the house gives such a cozy look. The bold colors really do make a definitive impact.

3. jordan says:

My husband and I are huge fans of Sanna’s work… and her home is lovely to boot. Cozy, personal, and full of wonderful things to look at!

4. michelle k says:

i love the shoes in the first picture. does anyone know where to find something similar?

5. Ava says:

Ahh! I love Jasper Goodall, so it was amazing so see where he lives (:

6. Amandita says:

Bar far my favorite sneak peak to date!
    I love the way there is so much color playing off of the white backdrop so that everything is both light and cozy.

LOVE all the prints on the pots, tins and tiles around your home.

When can I come visit?

7. Sanna is one of my ALL time favorite artists/illustrators. It’s wonderful to see Scandinavian heritage, craft and folk traditions reflected in her home as well. THANK YOU Sanna! I’m so inspired, and would like to bring more of my home country Sweden into my home as well.

8. Anna says:

I know I am very late but I would love to know about the big gray tiles in the bathroom and where you got them. Beautiful home…love all the patterns and tile.

9. Mel says:

This is a gorgeous home with a huge exception of the fur/skins. It is disturbing. I could not agree with Jessica more in her original posting. Many people have gorgeous homes without incorporating and supporting the very dark industry of buying furs/skins. It does bring a negative energy into the home. I love everything else about it though.

10. Leanda says:

I adore her work… her house is no surprise at all. Perfectly gorgeous!!

11. Yet another wonderful sneak peek. Love the colors in the top photo, love the enamel pots in the kitchen, love the vintage bathroom tiles, love, love love! :)

12. Julie says:

i LOVE sanna annuka’s designs! i am a huge fan. i have her marimekko towels in my kitchen too :)

13. Jewel Weeks says:

Horray for fur! Mmmm… fur…

14. rachelle t says:

I want to lend my support to this beautiful home and the couple who have shared their home with us. I am surprised and a bit shocked how harsh people are being. How petty. I too have seen lots of cow hides and sheep skins all over the place, no one objected those. I can’t stand people politicking and getting legalistic regarding their own personal values when someone has been very generous and shown their home.
    All the haters should be deleted. I live in a cold climate. Sheepskins are a must in our home. I love this website. I can travel and view beautiful homes and dream about mine one day. Thank you.

15. ems says:

lovely home except for the fur.

16. Love this!! Such a cute and lovely home!

17. Hannah says:

Ah such a beautiful home! I aspire to have a place like this in Brighton one day.

18. sandra says:

i love the unique collections in this beautiful den of life’s loves. who has a copper boiler in their bathroom?

19. Laura Harwood says:

The bathroom! Oh, the bathroom!

I have the world smallest,scariest, dampest bathroom. The house didn’t have one originally,its an afterthought on a Vicky terrace. I’m hugely envious of nice day!!

20. Hannah says:

Beautiful home! – minus the deer skins!! As for some people’s comments re sheep skins/cow hides, and how no one ever complains about them- I personally don’t see any reason, culturally or climatically, in this day and age that the use of animal skins/furs for floor embellishments is necessary or even warranted. That being said it is a gorgeous home in every other way.

21. Julia says:

Its a lovely interior. But i would say its only Sanna’s place, nothing recalls J.G.

22. orlando says:

Let’s remember that furs and leathers may last many generations. Inheriting or even buying them second-hand doesn’t directly support the fur industry and investing in them first-hand often eliminates the need to consume future replacement items. Considering the fact that the plastics industry, as well as others, are arguably dark and “evil” (I bet the fur-sensitive have plenty of plastic in their homes), it seems silly and easy to evangelize about fur versus the many dark energies we come across every day inside and outside our homes. I’m not saying there are no lines to be drawn, but such lines are personal, subjective, and it comes off as tactless and/or needlessly confrontational to phrase your preference in any way other than strictly personal.

23. orlando says:

I’d like to add that the energy in this home seems GREAT!