sneak peek: raina kattelson

raina1
when stylist and designer raina kattelson shared her experiments with colored chalkboard paints this summer, we all knew that we wanted a closer look into the beautiful hudson valley home that she shares with architect husband robert butscher and two daughters. (if you’re planning a visit to the hudson valley, be sure to check out raina’s guide to the area!) with two such aesthetic-minded people, the home is all about compromise! robert loves saturated color while raina gravitates more towards whites. the resulting palette of white with pops of color definitely works. however, the couple’s eight-year old is beginning to express her own aesthetic sensibility – she requested a panton chair for her eighth birthday! i guess that’s what happens when you have two stylish parents! watch out mom and dad! {thanks raina and family! and many thanks to john gruen for the lovely photographs} -amy a.

[The house,which is in Tivoli – a village on the Hudson River in upstate NY – is about 150 years old.  When we bought it, it had been gutted and then abandoned for 15 years.  My husband, Robert Butscher, is an architect.  Together we essentially rebuilt the house.  We tried to keep the overall look in keeping with the age and style of the house while adding some modern touches, doing most of the work ourselves.]

raina2
[photo above: The lounge in the living room corner I found at the town yard sale day. It is supposed to be upholstered but I love the raw quality of it so I left the stripped frame and just made a wool felt cushion and marimekko pillows.  We like to travel and bring back interesting pieces from the various places we have been, the living room rug is from Marrakech, the black basket from our recent trip to Istanbul.  My father is fine art photographer Sy Kattelson and in addition to many of his photo’s we have work by Lewis Hine, (over the lounge), Tanya Marcuse, (the large tree over the couch) , and others.]

raina3
[photo above: I collect pottery, both old and new and use it both for styling gigs as well as our daily use.  The Emeco chairs at the dining table had vinyl seats and I replaced them with industrial felt pads.The table is an Ikea table that I sanded down and then whitewashed.  The orange chairs are vintage Herman Miller. The light fixture is from Ikea. The picture is vintage NY by my dad.]

raina4
[photo above: We have raised platform in the kitchen that was left over from the original house that is now our sunny breakfast nook. I love the graphic quality of old signs and have collections of them throughout the house. I also have a weakness for chairs, the green thonet chairs in the kitchen are the first I ever owned and have been painted various colors over the years and now look great with the Saarinen table which at the moment has a chalkboard oilcloth cover on it – the base is original but has a temporary top which at some point I am planning on replacing with a white marble one. The light is a vintage shade originally used in a dentist office.]

CLICK HERE for Raina’s full peek (and all the photos on one page) after the jump!

raina5

raina6
[photo above: My office is the only all white room in the house but is so filled with books, magazines and craft projects and props it is sometimes hard to tell! I am a magazine junky, so in addition to shelves of them I have them piled in vintage, industrial metal boxes. I have lot’s of collections; vintage knitting needles, old camera’s, tray’s, bottles-all stuff that will end up on my work at some point. The chair is one of a pair that I found at the Brooklyn Flea and reupholstered. . The sign is an Anthony Burrill print- shouldn’t we all!!]

raina7

raina8

raina9
[photo above: I love Tord Boontje’s work and own several of his lights, for our daughter’s room i did my own version of his style on her floor. She is a future style junky in the making as she requested the Panton chair for her 8th birthday. She also asked that her dresser be silver. She loves to draw on the chalkboard paint wall (Hudson Paint).]

1. Alissa says:

So happy and cheery!

2. ninainvorm says:

Wow, that pottery/enamel collection is so well displayed!

3. casacullen says:

oh my goodness, that is some bright and fun goodness, indeed! a bit too daring and not my color palette but so fun, fresh and lovely for sure!!

4. The dining table light and my desk are both from Ikea.
    The letters- I glued nails on the back with epoxy, pre-made the holes in the wall and gently pushed the letters onto the wall. My brilliant husband came up with that one.

5. I love the graphic nature of this decor. Inspiring!

6. Carol says:

I have been to this home and it i s as beautiful and bright as the home owners and kids. Very Very Special

7. sorry for being soooo late with this- I was looking for a gallon container and it was in a quart in my basement. The wall color is ben moore 2027 grape green I used the aquavelvet finish.

8. i love the bright colour as a background to black and white decó. very nice.
    love the big print “work hard and be nice to people”. i’m printing the photo to put it on my life moodboard. thanks for sharing

9. mary pat davies says:

your home is absolutely lovey! a whimsical yet sophisticated mix of both old and new. love it

10. Eva says:

nice! love the dinnertable and the display of ceramics :-)

11. Jill says:

love the color and playful sophistication in this home!

12. What a happy home! Thanks for the wonderful tour. :)

13. jessica t. says:

just seeing this fun house now! i’ve been looking for felt pads for my bertoia chairs, and am wondering where you purchased the felt for your emeco chairs? would love to do the same. thanks!

14. Just thought I would comment on your pics, since it was my great Grandfather Pietro Ritrovato built your house. I remember living in the home from 8 to 10 years old. My mother, Lorraine Adele Ritrovato was born in America in the house in 1940. Unfortunately, when I lived there, my mother was newly divorced and could not afford to heat it in the winters. We had to leave. We were all ver sad about that. Mygreat aunts, Helena & Theresa owned it at that time. I really feel blessed that you and your Husband are taking excellent care of my Great Grandfathers home. I wonder if you still hear him in the house like we did when we lived there and if you can still smell his pipe.