sneak peek: heather frazier of frazier and wing

photo above: jon jensen photography

here at design*sponge, we’ve been following the work of heather frazier since 2007, when we became completely captivated by her ethereal mobiles. four years ago – after 20 years in san francisco – heather and gallery owner husband charles hartman moved to portland. daughter elizabeth was just about to head off to college, and the couple felt ready to pull up stakes and make their own move. they settled in this light-filled craftsman home where heather now spend her time making gorgeous paper arts! (i have to admit to a little envy looking at all that built-in storage!) {thanks heather and charles! and many thanks to jon jensen for the lovely photographs!}amy a.

[Our home is a 1923 craftsman bungalow located in a lovely Northeast neighborhood of Portland. One of the things we love the most about our house are the high ceilings, large rooms and lots of closet and storage space. The original built in bookshelves and cupboards are pretty great too. The huge picture windows in the dining and living rooms are a daily source of pleasure. We try to spend a little time everyday just watching the world go by – neighbors, animals, kids and nature.

The photo above is one of the 4 bedrooms in the home. We use it as a sitting room. The sofa is from Mitchell Gold, the gold branch is a vintage piece from one of my old haunts in San Francisco. The lamps are also vintage – found at a Portland antique mall.]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: We bought the Knoll Womb chair many years ago when Knoll used to have their amazing 40% off sales. The sofa is the Neo from Bensen.]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: I started collecting vintage colored glass quite a few years ago. I used to go to the Alameda flea market in the Bay Area regularly and that is where I found some of the first pieces in my collection. It is one of the few things I miss about living in San Francisco.]

photos above: jon jensen photography

[photo above left: The kitchen was the only room in the house that we had to renovate. The previous owners had put in Home Depot cherry wood cabinets which I felt were completely wrong for the house. I have always loved open shelves and simplicity in a kitchen so we had open shelving made and refaced all of the bottom cabinets and painted them white, which makes a nice backdrop for more of my vintage colored glass.

photo above right: The dining room table is a well-loved (and well-used!) spot in our home. Charles and I spend a good deal of our time together here, reading and eating, talking and watching the day unfold. The table is a marble Saarinen that we purchased from Hive in Portland. The chairs are Eames Eiffel chairs.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of Heather’s peek (and all the images on one page)!

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: I bought these vintage country Thai doors many years ago from an antique dealer in San Francisco. I just love carved motifs and the colors revealed by the peeling paint.]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: Love these tree trunk side tables from West Elm!]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: These lacquered shelves lining the hallway are also from West Elm. I use them to display some of my little vintage treasures.]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: This is Charles’s office. He worked from home for a couple of years while his gallery was being built. He started his career as a rare photography book dealer. As the bookshelves hint, he is an avid reader and book lover. We built these shelves to house his collection]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: Hanging behind the bed is a vintage Japanese obi. I like to use them as wall hangings. (I made the pillows.)]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: This is Elizabeth’s room when she is visiting. The Parsons desk is from West Elm. The mirror is vintage. The mobile is one of my designs: frazier & wing. And the bedding is Chinoiserie from DwellStudio.]

photo above: jon jensen photography

[photo above: The green and white mobile is part of my current collection. It is hanging in front of a collage by Rex Ray, which was a birthday gift form Charles.

The mobile on the right is from my debut collection of magazine mobiles, which are no longer in production. Rex Ray’s use of cut paper in his collage work was an influence when I first started making mobiles and garlands. That was in 2000 (well before the current trend! ) when I was making mobiles and garlands to use in my window displays in my retail shop.]
  1. saers says:

This is amazing – the sheepskin rugs are to die for!!

2. li says:

i’m always in the look for nice white frames. Do you remember where you got yours?

3. Caroline says:

Love the mix of purple glass vases.. Seems like were seeing lots purple AND lots of of little groupings of pretty vases on various home decorating sights.. very nice!

4. Bonnie says:

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You for your beautiful home! It gave me so many ideas. I have been saving glass vases in all colors for many years in hopes of display them similarly as you have done. I also have a Obi I found at a thrift store for $2.00 (what a steal right?) and I hadn’t figured out how to use it my decor. Thanks you are brilliant! Also that first picture of with the sun coming in on the furry furry rug just made me sigh for warmth and sunshine. Looks divine!

5. Big Kudos on the glass selection. I consider myself a bit of a glass snob and I was very impressed. Of course it helps that her paint color selections were superb.

6. Sharon says:

I love the colours as it’s a palette I’ve been toying with, this is so inspirational.
    Gorgeous home, thank you for sharing.

7. the light colors and modern furniture completely transforms the traditionally dark and moody craftsman style homes typical in portland. beautiful!

8. jennifer says:

good heavens i adore chunky white woodwork.

9. nazmin says:

so how am i suppose to get in contact with you. so you can redo my house? lol

10. Brandee says:

BIG fuzzy rugs on hardwood floors are my favorite! We have one in our (recently moved into..) bedroom:

But not as big and luxurious. :)

11. kiki says:

wow! this is so beautiful! i love portland, sometimes when i’m walking around i try to (discreetly) peek in the windows, hoping each home holds as much inspiration as this one…i’m rarely disappointed :)

12. Jesse Lu says:

Okay, that glass collection is amazing and makes me feel less ridiculous for my own glass collection…

13. hrhkat says:

me like this alot…me like lime green, white and blue…I want to go to there….

I love this alot…

14. Eva says:

beautiful! and love your collection of vintage glass!

15. Amanda says:

I could totally just move straight in to this house and live there very happily!

16. Kate says:

Gorgeous Sneak Peek! …And those lacquered shelves would make a great DIY project.

17. We’re such huge fans of her work and what a privilege it is now to envision where she’s doing it all. What a beautiful home. We only dream of the day when our kids allow us to have such place!

18. Golly Bard says:

The house is lovely and the glass collection is enchanting! Thank you for giving us a peek!

19. Marsanne says:

I love this house! The aqua color is excellent, and the glass pieces are so beautiful! I want to add them to my collection :)

20. Morgan says:

what an amazing house! I am in love with that living room. So many wonderful built-ins.

21. I love nearly everything about this home. It’s so comfortable, stylish and eclectic. Amazing.

Thanks as always for sharing it.

22. holly says:

What a great home to wake up to…An inspiring place to create ..And a soothing place to live….Thanks for the peek inside your home….Enjoyed it!

23. The lacquered shelves are the best part of this home. I will check out West Elm to see if they have them in different colors.

I’ve just set up a studio space that could benefit from a visually engaging piece like this.

24. Em says:

Love the mix of style, old and new and the lovely soft tones. A peaceful, beautiful space.

25. Zeba says:

This is an amazing home. I love all of the colors, and am so jealous of the glass collection! I aspire to have a home like this some day.

26. Sandy says:

Your paper art is beautiful and your collections are wonderfully shown. I was sad to see all of that beautiful Craftsman wood trim painted. Sorry, I’m a Craftsman home purist.

27. Beautiful home….Really lusting after the huge sheep skin rug!!

28. N. Bassett says:

Wow! I am so envious of all the space you have! And of course it probably looks so big because you have everything organized. (Books take up so much room, but how could a book lover live without them?) Anyway, I bet you relish the space yourself, having come from living 20 years in San Francisco.

29. Lydia says:

Wow…those rugs look comfy enough to sleep on.

30. Mona says:

The political ad is gone. It was for Martha Coakley.

1. grace says:

thanks mona,

i’ll send this to our google ads contact and let them know. we had this happen during the VA race, too unfortunately. stupid political campaigns (on both sides) lied when categorizing their ads, so instead of being IDed as political, they were categorized as something else non-political. so annoying.

31. Kristin says:

Sandy, painted trim became more common in bungalow homes in the 1920s, many had fir trim never meant to be stained. I can’t pretend to know what was original to this lovely home but it isn’t in any way out of context. I almost drove myself mad with our bungalow until I learned the wood had been painted from the beginning! It took quite a bit of digging to learn so I thought I’d pass it on.

32. Mara Capili says:

It’s refreshing to know that Interior Designers/ Decorators need not to be limited to a particular design concept when working on the whole house. This house is a perfect example of incorporating different design touches and color schemes on diff areas of the house. Beautiful!

33. Susan says:

The gold wall sculpture in the first pic appears nearly identical to a white one currently being sold on the Urban Outfitters website (the UO one might be a little smaller, and image is reversed). Just grab some gold spray paint and you’d be good to go!

34. Mini Kurhan says:

Amazing. Love every photo. What an fantastic home.

35. Mark says:

You have a lovely home Heather, and some wonderful collections. It’s nice to get a glimpse of the inside of your studio, to see you working on those pretty mobiles.

36. Penny says:

I’m so sad you don’t know the paint colors! If you ever come across them, please post them! I’ve only seen this shade of green in the living used a couple times and can never find the color.

I love every room in this house! I am so glad you tore out the cherry cabinets, ick. Why do people just stick those in any home without a thought as to if they fit the style of the home. I despise cherry cabinets and I love what I can see of your kitchen.

37. Savannah says:

I usually just like things ‘here and there’ in the sneak peaks, but every once in a while, there’s a featured home that I would happily just move into tomorrow. This is one of them. It’s simply gorgeous!

38. Kate says:

Perfection! That is the most gorgeous fireplace I’ve even seen!

39. Mercedes says:

Thanks for sharing! Love the fireplace and your vintage colored glass collection!

40. Suz says:

This is one of the most beautifully curated houses I’ve ever seen. I love everything about. I look at all of these beautiful places and wonder how I can make it happen in my home.