Ski trip anyone?

053B-510456
I was really honored when Design Sponge asked little old me to be a guest blogger.

No one has ever asked me that before.

But then it hit me, what do I blog about?

I was thinking about this for several days, ideas came and went.

It wasn’t until I one day looked blank out the window at the snow drizzling down that it came to me.

Winter of course.

I will blog about the winter.

After all, I am Norwegian, winter is in my blood.

(I would much rather have sand and palm trees, but what can you do?)

When I was a kid my parents loved taking me and my sister on these long ski trips.

I totally hated it.

The only thing I looked forward to on these trips was the lunch my mother would bring.

Homemade cookies, hot chocolate and great sandwiches

It was the though of the lunch that kept me going.

056-510456

They say all Norwegians are born with skis on their feet.

Well honey, not this one.

They must have been sold out when I came along.

Anyhow, my mother always made the best sandwiches filled with greens, chicken, avocado, tomatoes and always aioli.

But the best thing was her oatmeal walnut cookies.

So I would like to share the recipe with you guys.

Enjoy!

055-510456
Mom’s oat and walnut cookies

Makes 36

2 sticks salted butter, soft

1 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons milk

1 tablespoon vanilla

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 teaspoons baking powder

3 cups oats

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F

Cream butter and both sugars light and creamy.

Add milk and vanilla and mix well.

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each egg.

Add flour, spices and baking powder.

Stir until just combined.

Stir in the oats and walnuts.

Use about two tablespoons of mixture for each cookie.

Roll it into a ball and place on a baking paper lined cookie sheet.

Make sure they are placed well apart.

Press the balls down with the bottom of a glass.

Bake until golden, but still a bit soft, 14-16 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.

Photos by Studio Dreyer Hensley

1. these pictures are beautiful AND yummy!
    can’t wait to try those cookies.

2. Tina G. says:

What a wonderful surprise, I was just looking at Paul’s website yesterday. His ideas for simple Christmas decor were brilliant! I’m really looking forward to his posts this week.

3. Karen says:

I now feel very hungry.

4. Karen says:

how delicious

5. Amy Cox says:

These sound lush – can’t wait to try them! Thankyou!

6. Ava says:

Beautiful as always, Paul! Lykke til som bidragsyter til Designsponge!

7. Kristina says:

This post is so dreamy. Love the photography, and it makes me want to tramp through some snow so as to earn the sandwiches, hot cocoa, and cookies. (Confession: my family lives near DC, and since we’re German,we would head into town and have hot cocoa or gluehwein with cookies at the vietnam memorial, or the korean war memorial. The place was always deserted, and since we’re a military family, it felt like we were honoring the war dead by sharing a little of our living with them. This post reminds me of those experiences a lot.)

8. Cyd says:

Oh gosh, I am so excited you’re guest blogging this week, Paul! I am such a fan and can’t wait for all of your winter inspiration.

9. I’m Norwegian too and don’t ski… but a Winter picnic lunch sounds good to me!

10. Oh this sounds like a great snack all year round!

11. Susan says:

I made these last night and they’re awesome! I experimented with adding raisins to a few, but they really taste better when you stick to the recipe as written — the flavors are kind of delicate and the raisins just cover them up. Thanks, Paul, this recipe is a keeper!