made with love: stamped business cards

by

stamp1
If you’re anything like me, you have a hard time with business cards. I never know exactly what I want them to say, should I just use my name or put a title, too? When your career forces you to wear many hats, sometimes it’s nice to have multiple business cards that speak to each of your different jobs, but I can’t bring myself to get individual letterpress cards. This is a trick I learned at Saipua that makes amazing and special little cards, perfect for when you need them ASAP and have no particular photoshop skills, a letterpress, or a ton of money handy. One trip to your local Staples is it!

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

What you’ll need:

– Small manila shipping tags, like these .
– Custom stamp kit, like this basic one available at Staples

– Ink pad

stamp2

– Using small tweezers, place each letter in it’s place

stamp3

– Make sure to spell each word backwards, it takes some getting used to but if you start each word on the right moving left, it’s significantly easier.

stamp4

– Test the placement of your spacing by stamping a few tags and shift them accordingly!

1. I made a similar business card and always receive compliments when passing them out. I purchased a custom rubber stamp with my etsy shop name at my local stationery store for $9 and hand print on manila shipping tags.

2. I LOVE this idea !!! Great great great !

3. marisa says:

I love these stamps, I made cards with them as well! They really make a great impression. I love the hand-made quality and the ability to change your info at any time.

4. A great idea for seating name cards too – we’re going to do this for our wedding.

Jetsetting Joyce

5. lasergirl says:

That was exactly the look I was going for, only my Staples didn’t have small-sized shipping tags, and also didn’t have the option of a make-your-own stamp kit. They did offer a service where you could order a stamp to your specs, but they were VERY expensive.

Now, of course, that I’ve seen them on this blog I know how to do them, but I have sort of lost the excitement because now it’s not a novel thing anymore. :(

1. grace says:

lasergirl

even if we’ve posted it, i hope you’ll still pursue the idea. not everyone who takes your card will have read this post so i think the idea is still fresh and exciting to a lot of people :)

g

6. Mini Kurhan says:

This was the EXACT idea I had. I swear if I end up doing this, it’ll still be from my own creative process; I’m not copying! Funny to see so many great minds think alike on this one. ;p

7. Marcia says:

A friend in NOLA sent me a link to this site because I need to stamp the back of cards I will be making for a “Card Party” in March. I, too, will be running to Staples this weekend to find this handy kit. Many thanks for the idea!

8. Marcia Peck says:

9. lasergirl says:

grace,

I do like the idea! I was attempting to make my shipping tags into 2-sided cards, one with the business, and one with “your appointment is” (because I do couture alterations and theatrical costumes).

I did make a bunch of christmas decorations (partridges and pears for a bare branch-tree) and I used the tiny sized ones and hand-wrote on them. Not sure if I have photos…. the branch thing was awesome.

10. sawokecik says:

I love it … great idea thank you for sharing .. :-)

11. Veronica TM says:

thank you for posting this tutorial! i made my own cards and i love how they look. you can see them here http://petunia.typepad.com/petunia/2010/01/still-starting-sigo-empezando.html if you’d like.
    thanks again!

12. Thanks for this! I happen to have recently bought a box of 1000 blank tags for just such a purpose! On a side note, if you’re looking for a bit of a laugh: I went on and read the reviews of the linked stamp on the Staples website and they were pretty hilarious.

13. marcy says:

started almost the exact same thing with my cards a few months ago:

i had a pre-inked stamp custom made at vista print for under $20 instead of buying the kit.

14. efia says:

best idea ever. I’m trying to get some right now.

15. Sarah Rusin says:

I did something similar recently and I lovelovelove how they turned out! I combined letterpress and a stamp. So great and fun to stamp them all up. And they look like they cost a ton but we’re actually totally within the budge.

16. I was so inspired by this idea that I immediately rushed to Staples and made my own version also… thanks Design*Sponge! Here they are: http://designfixation.blogspot.com/2010/01/business-cards-with-twist.html

17. I had the same thought as lasergirl — that it wouldn’t be as cool now that lots of people will have seen this post — but I went ahead and made some of my own anyway! So far no one has said it’s cliche. :-)

I blog about my crazy house renovation, and this is something cheap, easy and fun that I can give to someone when they inevitably ask, “So how’s your house coming?”

18. Maureen says:

Cute! I remember i had those rubber stamps when i was a kid. I guess they come in handy when making instant business cards. Nice idea :)

19. attalie says:

thanks for this post! I bought the kit and attempted to create my own custom stamp but ran out of the letters i need! Has anyone seen the letters without the kit for sale? I have tried finding them online, but am failing so far!

20. Sara says:

My roommates just got me the rubber stamp for my birthday and I’ve already made my first cards! I handed one out to a potential client the other day and he was very impressed with the originality of the card! Thanks for the idea!

21. matt says:

This is an amazing idea. I decided to take it one step further and call local college and public libraries to see if they had any old catalogue cards taking up space. I’m planning on cutting them in half and using the clean side to stamp my info. So old book info on one side, my info on the other.Thanks for the inspiration!

22. Gosh, I love this idea. I am thinking of doing for my own. It goes so well with design, yet personable and simple too. Please, keep sharing more great ideas!!! I love design sponge!!!!

Just started my own blog too =). Please read and comment too =)

23. tremundo says:

great stamp kit and glad you shared! will work well with my ATC biz cards to add contact info.

24. katie says:

I followed your advice to create a bookmarks to give away with my info on the back…l@@k here for pics…2010-08-04

25. Hi there! Great idea. Does Anyone know if I can get the gear in Holland as well?