living in: julie & julia

Still 1
Roundup 1
It’s that time of year when people start resolving to do a laundry list of things they perhaps will not even remember come February. Want to know one of mine? To eat better. To stop grabbing slices of veggie pizza on my way home from work and actually cook a real dinner. And when I say I want to eat better, I’m not talking about eating healthy, per se, so much as eating things that taste really freakin good and home made. 2010 is all about Julia Child and butter, which brings me to my point. Julie & Julia . Actually, this post should be called simply Julia, cause that Julie chick got on my nerves.

tea kettle $40, wisk $5, rolling pin $13, marble mortar and pestle $65, pearl necklace $280, rubbage bin $47+, spectator heels $76, viking stove, bistro cutlery set $51, blue willow dinner plate set of 4 $80.

Still 2
Still 3
Roundup 2

What could be more wildly inspiring to a novice cook that dreaming about Julia Child’s perfectly perfect Paris kitchen? Tons of shiny copper overhead, well worn butcher blocks, simple and functional tools and striped linens, plus charismatic and kind host. It’s enough to make even the most timid of cooks want to get in the kitchen and get going with the beef bourguignon, already.
amy m.

Mauviel copper cookware set $1000, butter dish $25, Mastering the Art of French Cooking $19, egg crate $12, antique butcher block table $3500, basket $62, rice straw broom $27, denim apron $60, tea towel $9.

1. katie says:

thank you so much! what a great post!!!

2. julieta says:

i love this post and the movie and french food

3. stacy di says:

I think I might be the only person that Julie didn’t annoy!! Just watched the movie last weekend, and thought it was adorable…especially Julia! Love your finds.

4. Simone says:

I confess I am starting to wonder why they make alot of modern woman characters whiny, loud and annoying these days. However the art direction and Meryl made it. I saw it just before lunch and came out RAVENOUS. Since then i have tried to mimic the odd meal seen on that movie, with varied success!

5. Loved the book, loved the movie, LOVE those heels!!!

6. Vanessa says:

I just watched J&J this weekend and am now completely inspired to cook! I loved Julia’s story and agree that Julie was annoying. The movie was romantic, inspiring and made me so hungry! Thanks for putting this post together – Going to link from my blog!

7. susan says:

just fabulous amy… loved the movie to bits…. read both books, and well, had read the julie blog, but julia has always captured my heart…. my life in france is one of my favorite rereads to just feel the love! (of butter, cooking AND my husband) these posts are so good.

8. Tessa says:

Fun movie, great post!

Would love to see a living in: sherlock holmes next!!

9. Tessa says:

Great movie & great post!!

would love to see a living in: sherlock holmes next!

10. Liz says:

Great post! I enjoyed the movie, though it made me crave butter for some reason… (but not lobster!). If you’re feeling “Julia” and you want to impress your friends try making this Cranberry Cinnamon Clafoutis. It has all your basic food groups: butter, eggs, milk (substitute 1/2 & 1/2 – better), sugar, liquor. Oh and cranberries! Eat it while it’s still warm. Oh, yum.

11. Marna Elizabeth says:

I love this movie and I love this Living In…..great job!

12. d'Auria says:

Well, I’m not surprised that I’m comment number 63! A SPOT-ON “Living In” – nigh I say the others weren’t, this one is just my préféré! Maybe it’s my parisian mother with country b&b owner roots, or maybe it’s my love of Meryl Streep harnessing one of the most influentially bold characters of our time, but I am absolutely smitten with everything here. Thank you, Amy, for once again motivating me to design better. To be more precise and know what I love. Happy twenty-ten to everyone!

13. i absolutely love these posts! and what a fantastic resolution :)

14. Stephanie May* says:

I have to say that ‘Living In’ is my favorite part of D*S! Such a simple concept, yet it thrills me to find that someone else felt the exact same way when they watched a movie!

A few movies I’ve been ‘Living In’ since I first watched:

Clueless (No, not a typo)
    Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson)
    Anne of Green Gables
    The Brothers Bloom

I would LOVE to see ANY of these in this category! :)

15. Sarah says:

This is my favorite Living In so far! Please do Practical Magic and . . . Gilmore Girls!

16. hrhkat says:

havent seen it yet….but im planning on it…

i would die and go to heaven for that viking stove.

17. hrhkat says:

Is it just me of is anyone else getting a message after posting that they have a duplicate comment?

18. This movie combines so many things I love: food, cooking, blogging, meryl, never giving up, do what you love… the list is infinitive! It’s indeed on my favorite movies list.

I cook absolutely every day for myself (I live alone). Love it. It’s the way I can relax after a busy day. I love to combine veggies and come up with new dishes…
    Yesterday I was cooking a new soap recipe and wondering to myself: to cook is like to design, if we combine the right tastes we get the best dish, no matter what. They both operate on the creative essence, don’t they?

Btw, the soap’s name is “chocolate soap”.

19. Once you start cooking for yourself and really put effort into it….soon you will resent paying high prices for half rate dishes.

20. Betty says:

Living In is #1 on DS! Love the style elements you pull out and highlight. Like souvenirs from a vacation, they reignite the inspiration and delight.
    Loved the movie, MS could make reading a phone book fun.

21. Martha Louise says:

Such an inspirational post; love it! This reminds me of my mom’s annual new year’s resolution: To eat well & not start smoking. I’ve made it mine for 2010 as well :) Good luck to us all in the new year!

22. Teresa says:

Thanks for the post, it reminded me that I wanted to get the DVD (yes, one of the things from my list) I loved the film and could not stop thinking about Boeuf Bourguignon FOR DAYS! Hurray for butter!

23. Katie says:

There is a new, hard-bound edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking which has a decidedly vintage aesthetic. I’ve just ordered it and thought others might appreciate it. Available on Amazon:

24. LD says:

I just received that hardcover edition of Mastering the Art of Cooking! It’s beautiful and I’m anxious to dig in and test the recipes!

Great post, so inspiring…takes me right back into the movie. My favorite parts were with Julia too…Julie, not so much!

25. Fran Ginn says:

I was fortunate to meet Julia five times and to sit in on the filming of “Julia and Graham (Kerr), Cooking Together”. She was a very gracious and generous woman, always interested in the world around her. For beginning cooks, get the DVD’s of her shows….then the books. FYI, Cooking with Julia is a much easier book to follow that either of the “Mastering” books. Bon Appetit!

26. Autumn says:

Oh so lovely. I love copper pots and I love how natural the kitchen items look. I love that stove from the first image!

27. ink and post says:

what a great post. i loved the movie much more than i thought i would… and her heels in the movie were to die for!

28. Annika says:

You always pick the best movies. Bravo!

29. competitivemum says:

I’m totally with you. I’m English and didn’t even know who Julia Child was until the Movie, but now I love her. She and her pearls are genius. Julie on the other hand needs to work on herself a little.

30. Jessica says:

Add a Le Creuset Round Dutch Oven (|ckwlceflmdut),
    and then this post is perfect.

I’ve watched “Julie & Julia” so many times already. It definitely changed my cooking habits. Thanks for doing a “Living In” on the film, for I certainly wish I was Julia, living and cooking in Paris.

31. Frenchie says:

Actually, it was that dashing Paul Childs who designed the Cambridge kitchen, outlining the knives etc. He was an artist, Latin scholar, jujitsu expert, and fencing instructor. He had a long time mistress 17 yrs his senior in Paris before the war. She died of cancer in 1940. He had been living and working in Paris since the 1920’s. I first saw Julia Child on PBS in about 1962 when I was home sick in grade school. Only 4 channels anyway, I was just flipping channels when…..i saw this really big lady with a funny voice making omelets. She flipped one that didn’t make it. She just rescooped the whole thing into the pan and said that she had not the courage of her convictions. ha! never forgot her. Her life nad Paul’s could have carried the film.
    Why they had to muddy the story with that other woman does not compute at all. Bon Appetit! everyone! Paul and Julia’s love story lives on. MFR

32. Frenchie says:

Another thing, Julia says never be afraid of butter…you must have it in your diet everyday or you just turn into a big ball of dandruff! Ha!

33. Ryan Waldron says:

I think this is more along the lines of the range you were looking for