living in: gosford park

by

Still 1
Roundup 1
There is one movie, despite 20+ viewings, in which I consistently catch previously unheard funny quips or whispered gossip (and that’s no small feat considering I pay pretty close attention when it comes to movies). Gosford Park never ceases to amaze me. Layer after layer of characters, plot twists, affairs and insanely decorated 1930s rooms fill up one of my absolute favorite murder mysteries.

Gorham candlebra $40, bell $52, air rifle $56, coral necklace $1080, chandelier $599, poison bottles, antique telephone $1500, antique sofa, adoptable brussels griffon, printed portrait $35+, stone mantel $2290.

Still 2
Still 3
Roundup 2
I’m a sucker for a classic English country house, but even more so for the dynamic between the servants and upstairs guests . Gosford Park spends equal time focusing on the drama both upstairs and down, and more excitingly, when the two worlds collide. When it comes to decorating, I’m a “downstairs” girl myself. But when it comes time to, oh, I don’t know, being served breakfast in bed, all bets are off.

amy m.

sampler print $26, kitchen knife $145, vintage apothecary bottles $69/ set of 4, antique pitcher $325, iron bed $499+, carraroe heels $80, umbrella $10, vintage train case $44, antique copper pot $750, wool throw $188, bristle brush $96.

1. la femme says:

One of my favourite films. Thanks – this is great!

2. Liz says:

I just watched this movie and enjoyed it very much. I need to watch it again, and subtitles sounds like a great idea.

If you liked this movie you might like a book titled “The House at Riverton” by Kate Morton. It has a similar setting and is also from a downstairs perspective. It even has a little mystery/crime in it too.

3. Meira says:

I own that train case. My grandma gave it to me. :-D

4. Sarah says:

Love this movie, love this concept, HUGE FAN of the site!

5. Julie says:

I love that you did ‘living in’ Coal Miner’s Daughter! Such an expected and wonderful choice. It’s one of my favourite movies. Thanks d*s.

6. The film is so realistic. It’s like you are devoured into it and you’ll experience the royalties of the past. Highly recommended.

7. Kat from Jersey says:

I realize I’m a bit late to the party, but thanks so much for this one! One of my all-time favorite movies! Altman was a true genius. This movie just feeds into my whole Anglophile thing in the most delightful way! And didn’t you think the downstairs people were having way more fun than the upstairs people? Also, this movie was my intro to the gorgeous Clive Owen. If you have the DVD, watch it with the commentaries if you get the chance. The one with screenwriter Julian Fellowes is great.