ice lantern how-to

016Bny-510456
good morning! it’s pretty chilly here in brooklyn so i thought it was only fitting to start the day with our guest blogger sweet paul’s fun how-to for winter ice lanterns. if you’ve got 2 buckets, some water and a few sprigs of something green you can easily create a great homemade lantern that will melt away when the weather warms up! click here for the full post and how-to!

1. Cerise says:

I wish I lived in a cold enough climate to make these. They are so beautiful!

2. Ziggi says:

You don’t really need 2 buckets, one is enough. Just fill it completely and let it to freeze – but not completely. That’s the trick. The freezing starts from the sides and once the “wall” is thick enough, empty out the rest of the water, turn the ice lantern over – that’s where the hole will be and enjoy. (If you want greens, they will need to be long and stiff enough to keep to the walls by themselves)

3. Pauline says:

How pretty would these be for a winter wedding?!

4. I’ve seen these at weddings as serving bowls for ice cream, they were beautiful.

5. Jeska Hearne says:

These are just so beautiful.

6. Eva says:

my mother-in-law made these for christmas and put them in the garden at night. Really lovely.

7. Kristen says:

My uncle makes some of these every year for his garden, without the greens. They’re so gorgeous lit up! Makes me wish I had a place in the city for them!

8. cathy says:

This diy is also in the new issue of Fresh Home Mag.

9. Kate says:

We did this for Thanksgiving and it the results were great! You can do these on a smaller scale using tupperware instead of buckets. (This is especially nice if you don’t live in a super cold climate because the smaller luminaries will fit in a freezer). Check out our results: http://katopia.com/photogallery/index.php?page=18

10. Marija says:

I made ice lanterns last year and loved it. Thanks for reminding me how cool this project is.
    I really like the leaves and berries. Nice touch!

11. Amel'Caramel says:

I’m living in Hamburg in Germany. It’s snowing right now! I love this cool project and I’m looking for buckets. I want to make these lanterns immediatly!
    Thanks for sharing!

12. Ron Nadel says:

That is brilliant. So full of atmosphere and style. So natural. I wish we had snow in Tel Aviv :(

13. Maid Mirawyn says:

Totally gorgeous, but that would require FAR more cold weather than I would be comfortable with. We don’t have very many days in Metro Atlanta that are freezing ALL DAY.

But if I lived somewhere really cold, it would be a beautiful silver lining to the incredible cold…

14. hess says:

FYI you can do the same with snow balls, and freeze the balls for use when needed.