diy project: kate’s grocery planner

unfortunately, the beginning of 2010 has me battling an epic cold, so the first few diys are going to be simple, mellow projects that you can do on a sick day or in front of a movie. i know that resolutions are kind of overwhelming, but i find that taking the time to complete a couple organization projects early really helps things go easier throughout the year.

i purchased one of those grocery list pads one year and while it was very cute, i found problems with it. it had a lot of things i never buy and not enough space to add things i always buy (like soy sausage and earl grey tea). plus the pad was so heavy it ripped and fell of my fridge…bummer. so i thought it would be fun to make a personalized grocery planner that i will always want to use because it is specific to my needs. i made a menu format and a simple list format; i plan to try out both. the majority of time spent on this project was on the computer, typing up the right list. after that, the cute clipboard and matching pen box are a snap. the pen box also holds all grocery receipts to help with budgeting: an organizational bonus! here’s to a healthy organized 2010! (as i cough and blow my nose for the hundredth time…) have fun! -kate

*DOWNLOADABLE versions of kate’s lists have been added below!

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

materials:

1. clipboard
2. magnetic pen box (available at office supply stores, or you can make one out of a tin soup can or tin spice box, etc.)
3. pretty paper (mine is from the paper source)
4. spray adhesive
5. exacto knife
6. scissors
7. adhesive magnet tape (these come in dots and rolls, i recommend the roll that you can cut)

grocery planner materials

cost:

(you probably have some of this stuff on hand)
clipboard: $5
paper: $2
magnet tape: $4
magnetic box: $2
spray adhesive: $7 (this stuff is pricey but it is very useful and a can will last you a while)

time:

1 hour (unless you obsess on the list making, like i did)

instructions:

for the grocery list:

1. plan out the most useful grocery list format for your lifestyle. do you need a menu planner section? do you buy the same stuff all the time and eat a lot of the same meals (that’s me)? do you have a list of weekly staples and like to keep the rest open? design a grocery list that makes sense for you and either hand write it or type it up. when you are happy with it, make a few copies.

DOWNLOAD KATE’S LISTS HERE:

-grocery list
-menu grocery list
-grocery list items

gp list format
gp menu format

for the clipboard and pen box:

1. trace the back of your clipboard on the back of the paper. cut out the shape leaving a half inch border around the tracing lines.

2. spray the paper with a thin, even coat of spray adhesive and carefully smooth the paper glue side down onto the front of the clipboard. hold up the clip and smooth the paper underneath. then use the exacto blade to cut off the excess paper around the clip shape. if you mess up or rip the paper, you can cut a small patch out of your extra paper and glue it into place.

3. cut small slits in the corners of the paper that is hanging off the edges of the clipboard. this will allow the edges to fold down flatter around the corners. wrap the edges of the paper around the edges of the clipboard and press against the back to adhere. add a little glue if necessary.

4. wrap the magnetic box or tin can like a present so you can see how much paper you need, but don’t adhere it. cut that shape out of the paper and then spray the can or box with the spray adhesive.

5. re-wrap the box or can with the paper, making all seam neat and in the back of the box. trim any excess paper.

grocery planner pen box

6. if you need to add a strip of magnetic tape to your pen container, cut a small strip form the magnet roll and peel off the paper backing to reveal the sticky adhesive side. press against the back of your container.

7. cut three or four strips of the magnet tape that are an inch shorter than the width of the clipboard. attach three strips near the top of the backside of the clipboard, and one strip near the bottom on the backside.you need multiple strips because the clipboard is too heavy for just one strip. four holds it quite firmly.

8. position your clipboard and box and clip in your grocery planner sheets.

YOU’RE DONE!

grocery planner list

1. Kim says:

I love these lists! Thank you so much for the help with my menu planning. I’m a newbie to it and need all the help I can get. You are awesome!

2. Debbie says:

I would love to have a copy of the grocery and menu lists. I think they would be very helpful. They would be easy for mu husband to use since his memory has been affected by a stroke. Thanks,

3. Sarah says:

I do this too! Great to see that other people are on board for it too!!! They are really simple to design yourself (the menus) and you can personalize it just the way you like it!

4. casey says:

thanks so much for the great idea! your template is awesome!

5. Dona says:

Great menu and grocery lists. Love the menu/grocery list combo

6. Leslie P says:

I just ran across this on pinterest and LOVE IT! Thanks so much for not only a great organizational tool but one that is SO CUTE!
    Because I am not familiar with your site (yet!) I thought you might be able to save me some time if I just asked you real quick- Do you have something similar to this for household chores, organization, cleaning checklists, etc? If so I’d LOVE it if you could point me in the right direction as that is what I’m working on today. Thanks so much! I can’t wait until I have some time to sit down and check out what other things you have on here!

7. marilyn says:

I LOVE this…you are so clever! Thanks for sharing! I posted a link to this post on my blog! This is so good…it needs to be shared! :)

8. My first visit to your blog ever and I am IN LOVE! Can’t wait to start getting your posts in my inbox.

9. Leilani Richards says:

I can’t seem to get the links to work so I can download them. Is there any way you can send them to me?

10. Angie says:

Great idea! Thanks for the printable Menu Grocery list :)

11. Mary Delaney says:

I will be making my own Word versions of your lists – customized because I’m a FREAK about having my grocery lists organized by the aisle in which the products are placed in the store!!!

12. Jill Evangelsita says:

I’d love to have these lists but I can’t find the links to download and print? Please help me or email them to me? thankyou and I love your site!

13. Sara Reed says:

I LOVE this and just downloaded your lists. THANKS! It is my mission to become organized in my life by 2013!!!!!

14. dawn says:

i have had these lists downloaded for years now & would really like to be able to edit the pdf files. any help? besides purchasing a pdf converter for $60 on the app store?

15. Ashley says:

Thanks so much for sharing! This will be so helpful as I go back to work after being on maternity leave!
    Bless you and Merry Christmas!

16. Michelle says:

My husband always re-writes my lists and categorizes our items by “sections” based on the grocery store aisles to make his trips quicker. :) Think you could make a similar print out (in word format) that is section-friendly for the grocery store? (freezer foods, fresh fruits and veggies, dairy, etc.) You are AWESOME!!!

17. Cyndi says:

Thank you for putting up downloadable documents. That was so nice of you to go out of your way!

18. bunnyfizzness says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

19. Karen says:

These are incredible!

20. Laila Jordan says:

Truly thankful for caring individuals like yourself to share tools that help keep our sanity!! THANK YOU!!

21. Amy says:

This is awesome! Such a cute idea! I wonder if after a few lists, I could even revert back to my past ones to rotate, so to speak, my menu plans (recycle)! Thanks so much!

22. robin says:

I have to say Kate you are a GENIUS!!! these lists are so helpful and oh so adorable as well… I’m a big recipe cooker so your menu planner is brilliant! thanks so much for sharing and i will make sure to pass this on to everyone i know…. <33

23. Oh Kate, this is so cool. I have to pin this and add it to my face book account. Its so cute.