behind the bar: gin & ginger

This month’s drink comes to us from the incredibly talented husband and wife duo, Andrew and Carrie Purcell who are co-creators of the food and photography blog pictures & pancakes. Carrie, a food stylist, and Andrew, a photographer, sure make quite the creative power couple and we are very honored to be featuring their recipe, photographs and styling of this delicious drink. We hope you enjoy! [Alissa + Ryan]

“Gin and Ginger is a little sip of a warm CA afternoon to cheer up your winter blues. This is our first New York winter since we moved to the east coast [from Santa Barbara]… and this drink is a nice reminder of sunny days spent on our patio with friends.”

CLICK HERE for the full recipe (and more lovely pictures) after the jump!

1 ½ oz gin
1 oz canton ginger liquor
4 oz ginger ale
juice of ½ lime

“We’ve recently rediscovered gin and really love Junipero gin made by Anchor Steam. Another favorite is Hendricks. We’ve also done extensive taste testing of ginger ales and can’t quite agree on which is best. If you like the drink a little sweet, try Boylan’s, and if you like spicy ginger, you’ll love GUS. It’s fun to constantly try this cocktail with different combinations of gins and ginger ales.”

Combine all ingredients in a highball glass with ice and stir.
Garnish with an additional lime wedge.

Thank you Andrew and Carrie for offering up this tasty drink! Have a great weekend everyone.

[Alissa & Ryan]

1. Martina says:

you saved my day… after a long exhausting week, i`m looking forward to drink one of these :)

2. Cathy says:

I love this drink. I muddle a bit of mint from the garden in the bottom of the glass.

*Cheers* from CA.

3. I make this when ever I get the chance. Sometimes put a slice of ginger in it, add mint or basil. It is so yummy. I use Reeds Ginger Ale.

4. Julie K says:

We love ginger cocktails.

Try a moscow mule (Ginger Beer, Vodka, fresh lime juice, a bit of ginger simple syrup or liquor) – amazing.

Also – the canton + prosecco/cava — addictive!

5. Lauren says:

This looks delicious and refreshing… can’t wait to give it a try!

6. lovely images and looks like a great warmer-upper!!

7. Lili says:

really lovely photos and that cocktail sounds mouthwatering. I usually don’t like gin but ginger liquor sounds really good!

8. Krista says:

I love this drink! Also Moscow Mules and Dark and Stormys. Ginger is one of my favorite flavors.

9. Sean Signup says:

What some great photos. Unusual, I love the colours.

10. Nikki says:

As an FYI, drinks made with ginger ale are called “bucks.” So this would be a variant of a gin buck.

11. Nikki says:

Drinks made with ginger ale are called “bucks.” So this would be a variant of a gin buck.

12. i can’t believe i’ve never had this! it sounds amazing. ginger ale is my absolute favorite drink in all the world. and mixed with gin? ….genius!

13. Jill says:

If you want to try a really spicy, authentic ginger ale, try Buffalo Rock, brewed in Alabama–it’s fantastic in drinks. We mix it with rum, mint and lime in the summer for a delicious drink.

14. Elizabeth says:

I have been making this for a while, but with bourbon . Gin is a great idea. Reeds Extra Ginger is my preferred Ginger Ale. GUS is 2nd but it is weak/light in comparison to the Reeds. Thanks for the recipe.

15. Yum! Can’t wait to try this, while I’m sitting on my patio here in CA!

16. Jordan says:

Hmm, one could almost convince themselves that this is healthy. Ginger – good for circulation and immunity. Gin – pretty much and herbal concoction. Limes – vitamin C. Yeah, I believe that this drink could cure just about anything.

17. Glad to see this post! I love gin & ginger but when I order it here in Chicago, I get weird looks. Nobody’s heard of it. Must be a CA thing. I would definitely suggest using Hendrick’s Gin. My personal fav.

18. Joe Lyles says:

I’m going to try it with Blenheim’s Ginger Ale…The hottest Ginger Ale I’ve ever found.

19. gregory cosby says:

Can’t wait to try this. My favorite ginger ale is the Goya ginger beer that you can get in the ethnic aisle of most grocery stores. It’s very, very spicy.

20. Kate F. says:

Spread the word! This is one of my favorite drinks and everyone always thinks I’m nuts.

21. Betty says:

I love G&G, but my grocery store has been out of GuS ginger ale for weeks!

22. i love me some canada dry!

23. Jenae says:

love the photos! you are inspiring me do my own ginger ale tasting and I am definitely stocking my bar with Junipero gin. thanks for the great drink recipe!

24. carina says:

we have adopted this cocktail, and have been sharing it with friends since it posted. it is my current favorite of all time!

25. Cat says:

Gin and Ginger is a great combination, much like rum and ginger! Have you tried Fever Tree’s ginger ale? Like all of their mixers, it’s quite good, and very spicy.

Junipero is an excellent gin (another Californian here), also Plymouth would be a good choice for this combination as well!

26. You could try out also with a bit of lemon juice. In my opinion, it makes it even better ;)
    Good cocktail. No doubt about it

27. Stephanie W says:

We *just* made this… like, it’s sitting in front of my keyboard. It’s FANTASTIC. When we found the Ginger liqueur we thought we’d have trouble getting through it–not the way these go down. Thank you thank you thank you!

28. I’ m about to give this a whirl. For ginger ale, Vernors is on my mind- a spicy ginger ale. Im a former Buffalo native now San Diego- here we go!