before & after: rocking + director’s chairs

today’s first before & afters are all about chairs. d*s reader kari recently had her first child and wanted to update a rocker to use in his room. after finding a $10 wooden rocker on craigslist, kari cleaned up the frame and reupholstered the seat and back pads with a cheerful new fabric to match the nursery’s color theme. well done, kari!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your (low res, please) images]

CLICK HERE for sally’s director chair makeover after the jump!

sally from the home tailor sent in this fun director’s chair makeover. sally found the chair “feeling quite unloved” in her father in law’s garage, so she decided to reclaim it for a project. after cleaning and staining the frame, she updated the chair with a new padded seat and back. now it calls sally’s london space home and has a whole new life outside of the garage. great work, sally!

1. Teresa says:

The rocking chair is absolutely divine!!!

2. Lorena says:

Small changes made a great makeover,
    the rocking chair now looks hip, and the director chair is reborn! :)

3. Wonderful afters!!! Thanks for the inspiration, I have 3 director’s chairs in my garage waiting for me .

4. Sara L. says:

Wow, both chairs look fantastic! I love a good director’s chair. One off topic question: Where is that adorable teddy on the rocker from?? So cute.

5. LulaJean says:

Wow, real nice before-after. Love the new fabric!

6. ginger says:

Great fabric choices for both chairs!

Also – I love the cream, orange, French grey and charcoal colour combo in the nursery. It is not a combination that I have seen before in a baby’s room but it is modern, refreshing, cheerful and beautiful.

7. brandy says:

Oh gosh! I have a rocker identical to that and it needs recovering. But I couldn’t figure out how to get the cushions off to do so. Any chance Kari would share how she did it? Pretty Please??!!

8. Jeannie says:

such a lovely rocking chair! I like the director’s chair too – what a transformation!

9. Sharon says:

Nice work! Where do you get your awesome fabrics from? I love them!

10. It’s amazing what fabric can do!

11. Simone Rene says:

that rocking chair is Amazing. The fabric totally transforms it into an attention piece.

12. Doran says:

wow, my parents used to have that rocking chair like 25 years ago.. don’t know what happened to it but it could’ve looked this fabulous!

the fabric is really cool.. makes even old stuff so refreshing!

13. Natalie says:

I’m so inspired! The fabric must be from Ikea.

14. Gorgeous makeovers – both of them. I have the exact same rocking chair, only the seat and the back are caned. I love my chair as is, but it’s a bit hard for sitting for a long time. Replacing caning with upholstery might solve the problem. I am also interested in a tutorial!

15. patricia says:

definitely impressed by both makeovers, but wow, what a stellar $10 craigslist find!

16. Rosa says:

I, too, would love to know where the adorable teddy came from. Great chairs… I’m definitely inspired!

17. Molly says:

I was wondering where the fabric for the rocking chair came from as well. It doesn’t look exactly like the IKEA fabric. But close. Great makeovers. I am inspired.

18. Nadia says:

The rocking chair is beautiful!! I also have the same chair and spent quite a while trying to figure out how to get the cushion off to re-upholster it before giving up. I would also love a tutorial from Kari!

19. pamela wakelin says:

I love them director chair. The fabric used makes it a nice casual chair. I like the rocking chair as well

20. Novi says:

I’m loving the new rocking chair and the new director chair fabric looks awesome!

21. Sarah says:

I agree with Brandy and Nadia – I want to cover a chair just like this! How do I do it?

22. Kari says:

Thanks for all the positive comments about the rocker!
    The fabric is from IKEA as well as the teddy bear but I got the bear a couple of years ago.
    Brandy – I was surprised to figure out that the chair pads were glued to the frame. I used a putty knife to pry it of the frame.

23. Christina Sjogren says:

I absolutely love the directors chair! What a fantastic tranformation! Where can I buy it? At a time like this it is especially wonderful to see things being valued, recycled, transformed and given a whole new lease of life! So creative and with wonderful results! Love it!

24. Maddie says:

That rocking chair is GORGEOUS!!

25. Jenny says:

I see you, Kari! Great to see your rocker redo up here. You did a great job!

26. Rachel says:

I wish I knew how to do these projects.

27. melanie says:

lovely fabric! great work!

28. Jo says:

Wow your bentwood chair looks lovely :-) . . I have the very same chair but have painted mine with home made chalk paint and covered the inserts with Laura Ashley Pussywillow fabric. Trouble is I have no idea what type of glue is best to use to refix the inserts into the frame . . any ideas would be great! :-D Struggling a bit at this stage.