A square of heaven

I have never been a big marshmallow fan.

I always thought they were too sweet, it’s like eating sugar.

Not for me thanks.

But boy can things change.

A while ago I tasted hot chocolate with a homemade marshmallow for the first time.

And what can I say….I loved it!

The hot chocolate was made with really dark bitter chocolate and when the marshmallow melted in to the chocolate…wow!

I now consider myself a born again marshmallow’ist.

Homemade marshmallows

Makes 12 large ones

3 envelopes of unflavored gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

2 cups granulated sugar

2/3 cups corn syrup

1/4 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

confectioners sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water.

Let it stand and soak for 10 minutes.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan.

Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.

Pour boiling syrup into gelatin and mix at high speed. Add the salt and beat for about 12 minutes.

Add vanilla. Scrape into a 9 x 9-inch pan lined with oiled plastic wrap and spread evenly.

Cover with plastic wrap.

Let the marshmallows sit for 4-5 hours.

Remove from pan, dredge the marshmallow slab with confectioners’ sugar and cut into 12 equal pieces with scissors. Dredge each piece of marshmallow in confectioners’ sugar.

Photos by Studio Dreyer Hensley

1. susie says:

anyone know of a true vegetarian substitute for gelatin? i love marshmallow in all its forms, but it doesn’t fall in line with my veggie ethics.

2. Dionne says:

I made homemade marshmellows two Christmas’ ago, I have to say that I feel the same as you. I never liked store bought marshmellows but those homemade ones in hot chocolate were wonderful.

3. Natalie says:

You are going to want Sweet & Sara for vegan marshmallows. They are AMAZING! Better than regular marshmallows.

4. mixette says:

David Lebovitz has an excellent post on all things gelatin. Look at the comments too : http://tinyurl.com/ydbenf9

I’d love to try a cane sugar syrup like Lyle’s instead of the corn syrup. Maybe today will be an experiment day!

5. Jen Singh says:

oooh, I’ve never seen a marshmallow recipe before, my kids go WILD for marshmallows, never a fan myself, but sounds delicious in hot dark chocolate-thanks for sharing, yum!!

6. Laura says:

Wow, I love the idea of homemade marshmallows. I figured they’d be really complex to make, but these sound pretty slick. Thanks for the great idea.

7. Sweet & Sara says:

Thank you Natalie! Yes, our gelatin-free marshmallows are amazing!

8. hallie says:

I made marshmallows for christmas treats this year and they were a huge success(not to mention great conversation piece). i dipped the ends of mine in melted chocolate and then sprinkled with crushed graham crackers. s’moresy goodness.

9. Chassie says:

I love homemade marshmellows! Yo’ve inspired me to make them again. So beautiful! I would love that hot chocolate recipe too!

10. B says:

My mouth literally watered when I read this post and saw the images. I don’t think that’s ever happened before!

I just read Michael Pollan’s new book, and he says to make treats yourself. They’ll taste better and you won’t eat them yourself if you have to actually bake. This is a wonderful addition to my treat list.

11. yasmin says:

susie, i know agar agar is used to replace gelatin but i’m not sure if it could be used here. perhaps.

12. Cristy Cross says:

I am a marshmellow lover!! I got some from Dean and Deluca one year and they were fabulous.
    I am printing this recipe off and I hope I can make these :)

13. Emma says:

Gotta make these ASAP!

14. What a coincidence! I spent last week scouring the internet for homemade marshmallow recipes. All the goodies over the holidays really got my sweet tooth going. Looks like i’m not the only one!

15. Natalie k. says:

I made this recipe last night and it was so easy. My room mate and I are having a fondue party tonight and I know these will be perfect for dipping in our chocolate ganache. They’re perfect and not too sweet.

16. Kim says:

These look divine!

17. Karen says:

Being a huge Hot Chocolate fan (I make my own blend and drink it every morning!) I loved this post. I am also a marshmallow addict. I have made my own on occasion and they are divine. Perfect for a cold Bay Area day like today.

18. Amy B. says:

Here’s my favorite marshmallow recipe. It’s a cute little “dunker.” It’s a marshmallow and chocolate combined on a cocktail stick that you swirl in hot milk. They’re great for parties.

19. chassie says:

I made thee yesterday and they are DIVINE! Anybody have a good hot chocolate recipe to share?

20. TheNightJar says:

i cant wait to try this out! looks too yummy!

21. Kate says:

I’m with you Chassie! Bring on the hot chocolate recipes, especially any resembling City Bakery’s (in NYC) dark chocolate concoction. I tasted it this year during the Hot Chocolate Festival, also with a big ol’ homemade ‘mallow. mmmm…

22. rachel says:

Sounds great :-) All I need is an electric mixer and a kickass dark hot chocolate recipe :-)

May I ask, would you need to refrigerate the marshmallow mix? Or does it just sit in room temperature for that 4-5hours? Thank you :D