Winter Sweater Wreath

Two things to tell you about the inspiration for this project before we begin. First, I love the holidays. Especially all the decorating that goes along with it, and, truth is, I usually go a bit overboard in that area. But…I’m also a bit lazy. I love it when my parts of my holiday decor don’t look so out of place immediately after Christmas Day, that way I don’t feel pressure to take them down. That thinking inspired the colors I used in this project. The other thing is that I love to use felted sweaters in projects. I recently did a whole slew of DIY holiday projectsfor Value Village/Savers, and rediscovered how much I love using them. If you find a good color in a wool sweater at a thrift store, bring it home, felt it (there are some good basic directions here) and you’ll have the perfect “cloth” to use for a project like this wreath. (I also added in some woolen scraps from previous projects, you could easily use leftover pieces from your party flowers for this project, plaid would be lovely in this!)

CLICK HERE for the full wreath how-to after the jump!

*A 12″ wide wire wreath form (I used one similar to this one, except slightly smaller. You could probably use a styrofoam one also, just hot glue instead of stitch the leaves on).
*a sheet of paper or cardstock to create a template
*Several pieces of wool felt (craft felt, felted sweaters you can cut up, woolen scraps of fabric), vary and combine your colors and patterns as you wish (I used 5 different colors- dark charcoal gray, light gray, olive green, a greenish/blue, and a periwinkle blue)
*Small pearl beads you can sew on. (Something like these)
*fabric glue
*handsewing needle and coordinating thread

1. Make yourself a simple oak leaf template from paper or cardstock (pick a shape you’d prefer from the many sources available on the internet, search for “oak leaf template”). My version is approximately 3″ long and 2 3/8″ across.

2. Trace the template and begin cutting out leaves from your various fabrics. Don’t think too much about getting a certain number from each color, the fun is keeping it completely random. I cut and used 38 leaves for my frame.)

3. Using your needle and thread, sew the leaves together in pairs, mixing up the colors and patterns. You’ll want to fan them out a bit as I’ve shown in the photo to be sure they will completely cover the wire wreath form from the front.

4. Now begin sewing your leaf pairs onto the wire frame, just sewing the leaves down onto the frame, looping around the wire in back, keeping your stitches as tiny and as hidden as you can. As you add a pair on, lay them over the bottom of the leaf pair you just sewed on and it will hide the stitches. Keep adding and sewing down until you are pleased with the look.

5. To add the pearl beads (the “acorns” for the oak leaves), decide if you want them evenly spaced around the wreath, or random (both look great!), then sew them on going through the bead and through the back of the wreath form, keeping your stitches small and hidden.

6. If any of the leafs want to flop over and not lie flat, hold in place with a bit of fabric glue.

And that’s all there is to it. Now you’ve got a wreath that will take you through the holidays…that New Year’s snow storm… you could probably keep it up until Valentine’s Day!

1. This is a great idea!
    And if you add some other decoration to it, it’l be more than perfect. I think I’m going to make one for home :-)) Thank you for sharing.

2. Just me but I’d add an unexpected pop or orange or red on a few leaves.

Darling idea and liking that it can last until Valentine’s Day.

3. Terri says:

It’s awesome! I love this idea.. Thanks!

4. Neicy Frey says:

I love the blues and greens!

5. Courtney says:

Adorable, I would just miss the sent of wreaths!
    Also: I was searching on here the other day, and I found a link about decoration your own coffee mugs with ceramic pens then baking them for a bit. Do you know if this works and how? Any creative mind with info on this would be appreciated!

6. mary jo says:

Grace, I love this, especially the colors! I may have to try this over the weekend!

7. stephanie says:

love this. especially the simplicity of the colors.

8. Kathy says:

This reminds me of the Recycled Sweater Wreath project I made. Great minds….Next time I’ll use some brighter colors too. Here’s that project that you might enjoy:

9. molly says:

now i know what to do with some of my thrifted wire wreath frames and felted sweaters! thanks!

10. Bianca says:

Thanks, I made one too :) I made mine on a carboard background as I didn’t have a wire frame and the beads are missing, but I’m pretty happy with it. You can find it here:

11. That’s wonderful, i love it ! I will try to make one too his winter : )

12. Lex says:

I love Value Village! My Mom is moving away from Portland and I will no longer have access to this great asset for crafting supplies.
    I like your idea of using non-traditional colours so you can hang it any season!

13. sharon says:

The one lady said she would miss the scent of wreaths, I was thinkin,they sell like ucaliptus and different scented things u could add to it. Or put maybe some scented oils on it. I love the colors in this one.

14. Peg says:

It might be me, but why can’t I print the instructions?

15. Lindsay says:

How do you sew the pearls without having a thread on the outside of the bead?