we like it wild: fascinators

The shopping’s done, the table is set, now it’s time to finally devote some time to you this holiday season. Remember you? It’s easy to lose yourself between driving, parking, shopping, wrapping, mailing, traveling, cooking, and all the other ridiculous expectations we heap upon ourselves this time of year. We decided to do something to make ourselves look and feel fabulous this week, and we’re planning on doing it again next week for a New Year’s Eve showstopper, too. Our hair fascinators are a little bit of wearable wildness that will add instant awe to your holiday ensemble.

With a few pieces from the garden (or the grocery store) and a stopover in the hair goods aisle, you can quickly whip up a fascinator of your own. We’re giving you four looks for a variety of possible holiday events and range from easy to complicated.

The Peacock and the Headband are the easiest to master. Both make the most of all the leftover holiday bits you may have lying around. A peacock feather and some poinsettia leaves was all it took to make the Peacock: wrap the pieces together with floral tape for a simple behind-the-ear look for any holiday event. Use a bobby pin to keep in place.

CLICK HERE for the full hair fascinator how-tos after the jump!

For something entirely elegant for a winter wedding the Headband, made from a simple string of hyacinths, is perfect. Hyacinths come in bunches of little blooms (they’re a great value) and have a long life on dry land, so this headband won’t be wilting for a long time. After two days, ours still looked fresh as a daisy. Use floral wire to string each flower, nesting one flower inside the next so no wire is revealed. When you reach a good length loop the wire at both ends and attach some ribbon color-coordinated to your outfit.

The Crown was inspired by Scandinavia’s Santa Lucia crowns, minus the candles. This one requires a little more wrapping and a bit more time than the Peacock and Headband, but the results are worth it. We used eucalyptus, bay, and evergreen, wrapping with floral tape and wire continuously until we achieved our desired length, then tied ribbons to the end to secure it when worn. Definitely a bolder look that promises to draw compliments and attention.

Finally, our pièce de résistance and ultimate conversation starter, the Nest, is just what you need for that holiday cocktail party or wild New Year’s Eve you’ve got planned next week. We found the nest, feathers, birds and eggs at our local craft store. Using regular thread we hand stitched a small comb to the back of the nest and feathers and glued some newly hatched babies, some little feathers and a proud mama to top it off. The comb holds the whole family perfectly, so place it in your hair at a jaunty angle and wait for the compliments (and questions) to start flying.

(peacock how-to in the text above the jump)

1. The bird’s nest is BRILLIANT!

2. Alita says:

Love the use of fresh flowers and leaves!! They must smell nice too.

I put my birds on headbands at charmschool.etsy.com…

3. ann a says:

absolutly adorable!!!

love it!

4. Estelle says:

Beautiful and original ideas that cost literally nothing. I feel so inspired by this. This is what I visit Design Sponge for every day.

5. Megan says:

I’m not even suggesting that my project is anywhere near as lovely as these, but I wrote a tutorial earlier this month on how to make a “Santa Lucia” crown from wool felt. Girls in Sweden wear them to celebrate Santa Lucia Day on Dec. 13. They put real candles in theirs, but I was making mine for young kids so I used felt.

6. Katherine Duvigneau says:

Love the nest. Very decadent.

7. Noora S says:

I am in love with the flower head band!

8. ju padilha says:

I hope you had a wonderful xmas!
    it´s been a long time since I found your blog and it is part of my everyday! I’ve never wrote you because my english is not good, I`m from Brasil! but this time I got de courage to do it… because this post goes with the crafts I do.. my Charlottes..headbands made with satin streamer… if you have a little time I wold be gald to recive your visit in my blog!
    thanks for share so many nice things all the year!
    happy New Year or how we say in Brasil: Feliz Ano Novo!

9. Kelley says:

WOW!!! Really, WOW!

10. Christine says:

So wild and beautiful. I love the natural elements of these headbands. It’s not necessarily something you have to spend money on- you can just forage in your garden or local park.

11. those are brilliant! i think we’d all benefit from a bit more wildness in our lives, thanks so much for sharing!

xo katherine aka. urban flea :)

12. Adrian says:

Ohhh Gorgeous! Can’t wait to make some for myself.

13. Awesome girl says:

I love the peacock feather! That’s such a good picture of it too!

14. ehalvey says:

LOVE the peacock pieces! Though I would leave out the leaves and do something lacy or metallic. I think the leaf color doesn’t enhance the feather’s colors.

15. These are perfect for making you feel like a pagan goddess of Nature, or somebody truly special. Innovative ideas and clever execution always do the trick! Love them all.

16. Solanah says:

I LOVE the birdnest one, I can’t wait to make one and wear it in the spring!

17. Georgia says:

So cool. These definitely up the ante in hair accessories.