sneak peek: jocie sinauer of red chair antiques

jocie1
while the entire design*sponge team has an appreciation for antiques, editor amy merrick is passionate about uncovering treasures and the girl knows her stuff!  so when we were stuck in 6 hours of traffic coming home from the brimfield antique fair, and amy kept us entertained talking about her favorite antique haunt - red chair antiques in peterborough, new hampshire – grace and i resolved right then and there to get ourselves out to new hampshire next summer!  (mind you, this was after two days of antique shopping!)  so to hold us all over until warmer weather, here’s a look inside the new hampshire home of red chair antiques owner jocie sinauer and husband david chicane. the whites and blues, the scandavian antiques, that rustic fireplace? i think i’m in love. and suddenly with nearly a foot of snow on the ground here in brooklyn, summer seems very far away. {thanks jocie and david!}amy a.

[Although our home is architecturally a fairly simple farmhouse, I love the openness between spaces and the abundance of natural light that floods our home year round.  The neutral color pallet that we’ve chosen mixed with textural linens, clean-lined European antiques and natural artifacts proved to be a good recipe. I like that our home is easy to be in, warm and inviting with a sense of calm. I am surrounded by things that I love and that is really what a home should be.

The living room is an addition we added about 6 years ago, with the belief that it’s nearly impossible to live in southern New Hampshire without a toasty, cozy fireplace. The bench is an early 1800s Swedish pull out “maid’s bed/bench” and was used to house overnight guest, children or, of course, the maid – or in my case, to seat overflow from the kitchen when entertaining.  Note the wide opening between the original house and the new addition.  We were happy that we connected the two to create a sense of openness throughout these spaces.]

jocie2
The table is a mid-1800s Swedish drop leaf, made from dense cold weather pine, I love the warm honey color.

jocie3
My husband found these chairs at our dump! They’ve been freshly slip-covered in 19th century french linen sheets. The swing lamps are Pottery Barn lending a bit of modern industrial edge.

jocie4
This great Swedish cabinet anchors the space and allows ample room for my mix of classic and obscure collections. (I carried home in my purse the one of the eggs with red lettering  from a market in France.)

CLICK HERE for more of Jocie’s sneak peek and all the photos on one page after the jump!

jocie5
The settee is French, upholstered in 19th century French linen sheets. I initially did it for the store, but realized that I couldn’t part with it!

jocie6
The shelf was given to me by my grandmother (who has great taste). On the shelf is my collection of French ironstone and creamware found at flea markets in Belgium and France.

jocie7

jocie8

jocie9

jocie10
A giant clam’s shell is holding mostly 19th century receipts, music and letters – I’m drawn to early black and white graphics.

jocie11
I love the silvery glitz of old mercury glass.

jocie12
Libeco bedding from Blanche and Mimi in Portland, Maine – goes well with the antique french sheets and cases

jocie13
Salvaged wood used on a funky metal shelf I found at a flea market. We revamped the bathroom this summer with lots of fresh paint and new marble floors.

jocie14

jocie15

1. Adrienne says:

Wow- I love this!!!

2. Jane says:

so airy and open! seems like the type of place where a summer breeze is always wafting through.
    It’s a wonderful mixture of an archeological dig and a weathered farmhouse.

3. PhillyLass says:

Gorgeous!!!

4. Every summer we spend a week here and always feel a sense of peace and lost in a time gone by. Absolutely perfect!

5. Shay Johnson says:

my absolute favorite home tour..Soft,serene and interesting..LOVE it.
    Shay
    designerjunkfinder

6. Jenn says:

The fireplace mantel cluttered with white water pitchers is just perfection, especially with that chandelier in front. Gorgeous.

7. kiki says:

oh this is beautiful! love all the linens…

8. This is a gorgeous house. In fact, I think I’m going to have to print it out and save it in my “How I Wish My House Looked” folder. I especially love the fireplace and the entire home’s neutral tone.

9. I just love this- every single thing about it is perfect !!! Thanks for sharing this amazing home with us.

10. maria says:

This is my kind of inspiration! So pure….

11. Laura says:

It is great to see Jocie’s home and Red Chair Antiques. I used to work in Peterborough and have lots of great finds from her store with me on the other side of the states in Portland, OR. Miss the store so this post is a nice way to remember it. Great home!

12. Alison says:

what an amazing home, so beautiful!

13. Rebecca says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Great post, and I just made a date with my husband to visit Red Chair Antiques. We live in Southern New Hampshire and are building out an attached barn at the moment. This just made me really look forward to furnishing it.

14. Courtney says:

wow, wow, wow! those pitchers on the mantle look awesome. and i love all of the white. it really is essential for dark, new england winters.

15. Jenn S. says:

Do you know what color the grey paint in the living room is? It’s a perfect soft grey and I’ve been having such a hard time finding the right paint color!

16. Alyssa says:

I love love those pitchers! Really… the mantle full of beautiful pitchers is superb… can you imagine those full of wild flowers for a summer/spring party?

17. maranda says:

love the vintage buttons display!

18. jem says:

I adore the pervasive white theme…it’s clean, creamy, and warm (if that’s not too contradicting) without being cold or uninviting. The furniture is so beautiful. I want to live there!

19. Viki says:

OMG,it’s GORGEOUS!!!!

20. judy lake says:

who doesn’t LOVE The Red Chair! Jocie’s got an eye we can all learn from!

21. heather says:

I visited this store during a residency at the MacDowell colony this past spring. It was a perfect distraction from writing. Love seeing their home – it’s dreamy and romantic.

22. bobbie howard says:

A home with a soul! Thank you!

23. Mom says:

Always knew my boy would find himself a gem of a wife and he certainly did. Jocie you’re doing our family proud. House looks wonderful!

24. Jackie says:

Really lovely. I would like to spend all day rooting around, and inspecting every little thing.
    I spent 6 months living in Peterborough, NH
    19 years ago. My first port of call from the UK. It’s the quintessential New England small town. Fond memories.
    Ta!

25. susan says:

such a beautiful house … and oh my yes, red chair antiques. great great place!

26. Mary says:

I love your collection of French ironstone and creamware. I think I might have to check out the store for one of my vacations. Does anybody know if they sell any there? Gorgeous house.

27. adwoa says:

i can’t believe no one has asked yet – source of the light fixture in the second photo? it’s breathtaking.

28. DawnMarie says:

Love this home. It is warm and inviting. It feels like everything in that house has a story. I love that. I am in MA so I am mapquesting the road trip now. I would love to visit her store.

29. Gesa says:

The most beautiful house I`ve ever seen! Thank you for sharing.

30. efia says:

peacefully classic. Love the marble floors. Reminds me of the Turkish bathhouse I visited in Marmaris, Turkey.

31. rachel says:

what a delight to see your home! i traveled to NH to see your shop and loved it, totally worth the ride.

rachel-Dd

32. courtney says:

wow. can I photoshop me and my family in these pictures. I love every detail!

33. janet says:

Hi Jocie: Just what I thought -your home would look like – beautiful and calming. Love it. Janet

34. Jenny says:

I love those lamps that are above the white linen chairs! Are they still available from Pottery Barn? I can’t find them on the website.

35. elisabeth says:

my heart just skipped a beat. so lovely. love the blue candlesticks and all the linen. wonderful.

36. elisabeth says:

my heart just skipped a beat. just lovely. the blue candlesticks and all the linen. wonderful.

37. Anne-Karin says:

Yes, yes, YES – this is just lovely!

38. lisa says:

what paint colors did you use, I have an old house too and love your color sense.

39. Mary says:

We love upholstering in antique linen sheets ! They look beautiful on your pieces.

40. Katherine Templeton says:

The amazing light fixture in your dining room is exactly what I have been looking for. Please tell me where I can find it or one similar to it. Love your soulful home.

41. LM says:

GORGEOUS! One of my favourite sneak peeks! Incredible eye for detail- the home seems too good to live in.

42. Dave foster says:

Beautiful colors and styling, this is the inspiration I need to start the new year. I will be in to spend money soon!! :)

43. Deux Maison says:

Red Chair is moving to NY! Did you know? Hudson NY to be
    exact and this NH girl is SAAAAAADDDDD!

44. Luwam says:

I love the antique/19th century look in a home, so cozy, so much history and just beautiful! The seashells situated throughout the home gives it that beach house feeling.

45. aiga says:

Just beautiful!!!! What is the gorgeous gray paint color?????

46. Emily says:

Yes, what is the gorgeous gray/blue paint color?