sneak peek: julie murphy of jack and lulu

jackandlulu1
shortly after we peeked into the pelam, new york home of julie murphy, founder/designer of jack and lulu, she packed up the house, the kids, husband tom and moved the crew to rowayton, connecticut! they’ve only been in their new home for 6 months, but julie invited us to see how it’s all evolved. her home is filled with pieces she’s collected over years and it’s fun to see how with a little tweaking, they can work anywhere! {thanks julie!} amy a.

[We live in a shingled house in a lovely seaside village about an hour outside of Manhattan. The house dates back to 1785—the interior was designed by Barbara Garfield who combined a modern, open floor plan with a rustic flair. We love the simplicity, wide paneled oak floors throughout, and the beautiful light in the house.]

jackandlulu2
[The kitchen opens onto a dining area.  The cabinets are a very simple, shaker style, painted a greyish-blue. The countertops are honed marble. We placed the Ancestor Painting along the back wall as the single piece of artwork for the room. The yellow Tolix chairs around the table are extremely child-friendly–you can literally hose them down after a messy meal, and they add a great splash of color. The dining area is surrounded by floor to ceiling french doors on both sides which floods the room with light.  We used to have these Eames chairs in our playroom, but they found their way into the dining area for extra seating and color in such a white space.]

jackandlulu3
[This room has two over-sized dutch doors which we keep open in warm weather for a nice salty breeze and a view of the river across the street. Here you see the front door open with a view into the living room.  My Dad made the bookshelves which house a collection of vintage pottery and other objects.]

jackandlulu4
[The fireplace is very simple, plastered wall. We kept the palette/furnishings quiet in this room in keeping with the feel of the whitewashed oak planks and white walls accented by the original handhewn wood beams. An old brass boat propeller sits in the fireplace. I change out the pillows on the faded tapestry chairs depending on the season. The french-inspired striped pillows are from IKEA. The lanterns mounted on the fireplace are from The Brass Exchange in Charlotte, NC.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of Julie’s peek and all the images on one page!

jackandlulu5
The bathtub in our bathroom was found in the listing agent’s attic. The tub was refinished and painted a lovely greenish-blue, and then set at an angle.

jackandlulu6
The sink fixtures are from Klaff’s in Norwalk, CT, and the mirror and other accents are from Restoration Hardware. The bird print is from one of my favorite places, Sandwich Antiques on Cape Cod.

jackandlulu7
[The corner armoire was a recent gift from my grandmother. She had it made for herself many years ago, and it fits the style of our guest room very well. The old iron bed was one of our first purchases years ago when we lived in Chicago. The palette is very quiet in this room as well—we wanted it to feel like a retreat for our guests.]

jackandlulu8
[My grandmother’s armoire has become a museum for souvenirs of our trips–the soldiers are vintage from Argentina, the whale is from Herman Melville’s home  in the Berkshires, and the books once belonged to my Mom’s college classroom when she taught botany. A little reference to the nearby sea with coral.]

jackandlulu9
[Lots of white accented with a little black.  We have a Raymond Pettibon print which resembles a sea urchin on the wall between the windows.]

1. I am in love. Exposed beams and wood floors and big windows = heaven.

2. Stella says:

I saw the same sort of coral this weekend at my local antique shop for $50. I guess I do still want it, since I noticed it right away in this post!

I find it odd to see bookshelves with no books, I’m guessing they haven’t unpacked them yet? I know it probably isn’t pretty, but I would love to see the “working” room that is messy and not photogenic. There must be one, right? Right?? It would make me feel better about myself and my apartment with boxes from moving in 4 months ago.

3. Some of these are very good indeed…I’d say quite eye catching all in all.

4. I am busy drooling over the flooring…which is what I usually drool over. Flooring is EVERYTHING.

5. LOVE those yellow chairs with that table and art!!! beautiful!

6. Valerie says:

I’m pretty much ready to pack up the dining room (oh those yellow chairs!!!!) and the dining room (marble sinktop and adorable faucet) and put them in my house.

7. Jessie says:

Where can I get my hands on those yellow chairs at the dining room table??

8. kristina says:

I would move back to the United States to live in this house. It is my dream home.

9. Adrienne says:

@Stella I think there are parts of the house missing…they probably didn’t photograph the books. :)

Then again, they might not have many books. Neither my fiance or I are big readers at home (we read all day at work!) so we only have two shelves of “favorite” books. The other books we usually give to friends or leave at hotels at the end of a vacation.

10. Jenna says:

This is the prettiest house ever. I love the two levels of windows in the living room.

11. Liane says:

Great home. I love the way the yellow chairs stand out against the earth tones. I also appreciate the sparseness but it’s not empty feeling.

12. Kaarina says:

love this house. the floors are so perfect- were they installed or did they come with the house??… the color of the floors is the best-

13. Oh I LOVE it. I would love a new couch at the moment and I love that simple white one she has – so understated, comfortable and elegant. I also like the blue paint in the interior of the bookcase.

14. Beth says:

this home makes me want to box up all the knick knacks and extra furniture I have and just enjoy a bit of space. It’s so serene.

15. emelie says:

love the dining room table! where is it from? I’m looking for a rustic farm table, and that one is PERFECT!!! Love this house!!

16. dana says:

would love to know where the living room coffee table is from, it’s the perfect size.

17. Katherine says:

Beautiful, elegant home.

18. julie murphy says:

Hello!
    Thanks so much for the nice comments! The plank dining room table is from Pine and Design in Chicago. The coffee table is made of reclaimed wood and is available at Wisteria–it’s great. We bought our Tolix Chairs from Design Within Reach–the chairs are a bit wider than others out there, which we like.

19. Jeanette says:

LOVE the refurbished antique tub and bathroom….along with the rest of the house!
    J

20. i love the door concept! great idea. the floors are also beautiful, as is the color palette. lovely home!

21. oh, I love Julie and the Jack + Lulu line is one of my favorites. So fun to get a peek inside her home, which is as simply fantastic as I imagined it to be.

22. Katie says:

So pretty– such a remove from New York! I’m also wondering about the couch- where is it from?

23. julie murphy says:

Hello Katie and thank you, JEN!

The sofa is Ektorp from IKEA. We keep an extra slipcover on hand for when the other is in the wash (we have small kids and a dog).

24. Love the yellow chairs in the first and second photos. They would go perfectly with my yellow coat stand.

25. efia says:

This isn’t normally my style but I love the understated elegance to it all. The openness and meaningful objects make this a lovely home. Thanks for sharing it with us.

26. holly says:

I’ve been saving a day to catch up on d*s posts…And this is one I’m so happy I saved! it’s beautiful. Well DONE, julie. Love the tranquility of it all….the treasures…..and that little whale ~ SWEET.

27. MK says:

It all looks so lovely and crisp! Love the dutch barn doors!

28. Julie says:

This house has the look of a vacation home with the comforts of a year round home. I love the bathroom and the door.

29. Deborah Economou says:

I want to know where to buy the wooden coffee table!

30. What a gorgeous home! We’re newcomers to Rowayton as well – your style, at once rustic, elegant and understated, suits this area perfectly! Where did you find the pretty shades in the master bath? Are they sea grass?