sneak peek: @my ruppel

amyruppel1
while amy ruppel has certainly made a name for herself as fantastic artist and illustrator, here at design*sponge she holds a special place in our heart as the motivation behind sneak peeks! nearly 3 years ago, this tiny look, at amy’s home was what inspired us to begin doing sneak peeks on the site! amy’s lived in her portland, oregon home for 7 years and we thought it was high time we went back for a more thorough look around!{thanks, amy! and thanks to jason locken for the photos!} - amy a.

[My house is a split-level modern built in 1962, all clad cedar, complete with angled front door and textured glass. It sits high on a corner in a see or ornamental grasses, and is dwarfed by a 100 foot Doug Fir tree. I feel like I’m in my own little woodsy, mid-century paradise there. I’m surrounded by warm, dark wood and coziness inside. It’s the perfect housing for my art collection, and all the furniture I’ve gathered over the years. I just love it! I’m not moving away from there anytime soon.

The photo above showcases the original 1962 glass pendant lights in the foyer and slate entryway. Wirebrushed paneling (LOVE that!) complete with hidden pantry door]

amyruppel2
[The Victrola sits below vintage prints and artwork by Evan B Harris, Rachel Sumpter and Lena Corwin. (and yes, I use it), and the mid-century teak buffet. “Holy Cow” lightbox by Michael Paulus, genius.]

amyruppel3
[The cowhide rug from IKEA brings it all together: Teak Mid-century table, chairs and sideboard, and tile topped coffee table. Sofa is a “snap sofa” from the Todd Oldham by Laz-y Boy collaboration (It’s awesome!) Giant swan painting is from my “Mean Birds” series. Large collage to the left of the orange draped window is by Lisa DeJohn. The orange bullet planter holds a point sharp cactus that I always back into, and it always gives me a start! But it keeps me on my toes.]

amyruppel4
[I made the white shallow shelves in my kitchen (on the orange wall) for all of $3 total. Scrap wood and paint rules! The stools are vintage Danish, and were a score at a local consignment shop. Eames prototype lounge (another score from back home in Wisconsin). Large wax painting on the wall is an old one by me that I couldn’t seem to part with. Lamp over sofa & coffee table is by Mibo.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of Amy’s sneak peek after the jump!

amyruppel5
[IKEA pots go well with vintage items. That cool polar bear drawing behind the spices is by my niece, Kelsey Borth.]

amyruppel6
[A pair of wax covered cedar ‘birdhouses’ I made that started seeping sap. Oops! Now they’re mine to keep ;) The curtain is IKEA fabric that my lovely neighbor Sara sewed for me.]

amyruppel7
[My “@my ruppel” rain boots, made by Tamara Henriques a few years back when she was still in Switzerland. Wirebrushed wood on the oak stairs, too! Lots of warm wood makes for a happy home.]

1. Kristin says:

I knew this was Portland from the first picture (we lived there 2000-2007)! I love it!

We are living in a 1953 MCM ranch in Memphis now and yr Todd Oldham for La-Z-Boy couch prompted a question: We bought one too when we lived there covered in a badass orange soft tweed & the cats destroyed it. We bought a new similar couch at Macy’s last year and the cats seem to have done a number on that too. Do you or any other readers know where to get good, reasonably-priced slipcovers for low, non-puffy couches? Is sewing them yourself impossible if you are a novice? THANKS!

2. Kira says:

I’m so enamored of this home – mid century split levels are one of my favorites. Also, her style is the perfect balance of vintage and quirky – one of my favorite sneak peeks yet!

3. Leslie says:

Wow, Thanks for the updated peek! Love Amy’s work & have met her a few times & she’s incredibly nice! Thanks for the share. She has a wonderful home!

4. Susan says:

Unique, stylish, and very cozy. I love it!
    Question: In the photo with the soap birdhouses, you have a butter dish with an orange design on it. Could you tell me the source? I have the matching salt and pepper shakers, but don’t remember where I got them, and they don’t have a name mark on them! TIA!

5. Liane says:

amy, i love it! so homey and comfortable looking. i love the wood and paint colors. it all fits together perfectly.

6. I love how she’s embraced this quirky retro style! I would lower the lighting in front of the sofa, if possible. Just bring it down about 2 feet, it would cozy the conversation area up a bit. Fun and funky home!!! And for Kristin: I often use painter’s dropcloths as homemade slipcovers. They are wider than regular fabric and work great on small sofas or chairs. Just wash it on hot several time and throw it in the dryer with a handful of fabric sheets to soften it up.

7. julia says:

Wow! So lovely! The colors all feel so warm and cozy. I’m coming for a visit soon! xo

8. i just love the stair railing. and they have an eames chair! i am so jealous! lucky ducks

9. I love this. It’s vintage but real and today. This house looks livable. This house is super awesome.

10. Menone says:

Love the paint colors…..what is the green color in the living room?

11. Kristi says:

I wanted to like it, and I’m very glad Amy is happy there, but in the end, it’s far too cluttery for me – like old granny meets mid-century modern.

Sorry – it just doesn’t work.

12. angie says:

OH MY! I love Amy’s cozy home full of color and warmth. It reflects her non-pretentious, generous, creative spirit perfectly. BIG love! *angie

13. @my says:

Thanks everyone! I need to look up the butterdish makers… Menone: The olive green paint in the living room is Spring Sprout by Miller Paint, flat. It’s great because the shade changes drastically with the light throughout the day. Julia: Get on over to my house and visit! And Kristi – that’s okay – You don’t live here. I do. ;)
    Thanks everyone!
    ~@my

14. Jason says:

I’m a sucker for the modern chairs. Those are fantastic.

15. Emily says:

Also loving the paint colors. What is the blue used in the dining room?

16. Emily says:

What is the blue paint color used in the second half of the living room?

17. Adrienne says:

Wonderful home. What I want to know is: how do you get the stones in your entryway to shine like that?? I must be doing something wrong…

18. Sara says:

@Kristin —
    Our cats love tearing up furniture, too! I don’t know of a slip cover for you. BUT, the only way we have kept our cat’s claws out of our furniture is with double sided sticky tape. You can get a large roll of it at most pet stores. It has never harmed our furniture and the cats HATE how it feels. After a while the tape can come off and the cat’s won’t bother it again.

19. kristin says:

Kristie and Sara– both wildly different ideas for coping with cats and their love of destroying couches! Thanks for the responses! I am still laughing because I thought that you meant you put the tape on the CATS–I’ve had a few cocktails today!

20. bobbie howard says: