past & present: decoupage history + diy project

illustration by julia rothman

So for my first column after my little hiatus to finish up some d*s book projects, I thought it would be fun to take a look at the history of a craft room staple – decoupage! The art of decoupage is thought to have its roots in East Siberian tomb art.  It was perfected in China where it was used as early as the 12th century for decorative objects. But our little look into decoupage is going to focus on the craze that overtook Europe in the 18th century!

18th century Italian lacca povera semaniers, 1st dibs $15,900

Decoupage was first used in Europe by resourceful Venetian artisans as a way to capitalize on the craze for lacquerware that was being imported from Asia. Those artisans developed the technique of taking sheets of engravings which were hand-colored, and cutting and pasting them onto the surface of furniture. Several layers of varnish were applied to create the high-gloss sheen reminiscent of traditional lacquer work. The Venetians called this relatively inexpensive technique lacca povera.

Spanish lacca povera box sold at Christies, $17, 436

In 18th century France, the technique was renamed découpage (taken from the verb découper, ‘to cut out’) and was extremely popular amongst a circuit of fashionable ladies (and some men!). Finding suitable prints to cut up was a little more difficult in 18th century Europe (no Kinkos color copiers!) and engravers offered prints for sale that were specifically aimed at the decoupage artists.  It was difficult to satiate the decoupage artists appetite for new images, and they would take their scissors to anything.  At the court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, the ladies cut up original paintings by Boucher, Watteau and Fragonard in their quest for new decorations for their decoupage fans, boxes or screens.

And if all this talk of decoupage leaves you hankering to try your hand at the centuries old technique, I’ve included a little DIY for a decoupage pencil holder!

CLICK HERE for the rest of the post including “books to read” and “facts to know”!

from the Mary Delany collection at the British Museum

18th century Britain was also enamored with the art  of decoupage and every woman had a pair of fine scissors in her possession. The ultimate wiz with scissors was Mary Delany (nee Granville), the English aristocrat, who only began to imitate flowers in paper collages after the death of her second husband at age 72!  Mary had been married at the age of 17 against her will to a husband who was nearly 60 and early in life she occupied her time with crafts.

from the Mary Delany collection at the British Museum

Her favorite crafts were shell decoration, silhouette portraits and needlework. Her first husband died in 1724 – when Mary was only 24 – but she remained a widow until she was 44. Her second marriage to Dr. Delany lasted for 25 years and was an extremely happy one. When Dr. Delany died, Mary lived for some time with the Duchess of Portland and when that friend died(Mrs. Delany lived until she was 88, so she outlasted many of her friends)  she moved into a small house owned by the King and Queen!

magnolia from the Mary Delany Collection at the British Museum

In order to accurately imitate flowers, Mrs. Delany would set to work with the specimen before her. Then she cut tiny pieces of paper to represent the various parts of the flower using lighter and darker papers to create the effect of shading. She glued her papers on a black background would layer the papers on top of one another. The plants were always represented at life size and a single image might contain hundreds of pieces. She was a quick worker and created thousands of these collages in the last decade of her life. (Browse Mrs. Delany’s flowers at the British Museum here)

(The Yale Center for British Art currently has on exhibition 30 of Mrs. Delany’s floral collages. These works are part of the British Museum’s collection of 1,000 paper collages and are rarely loaned out – so if you have the opportunity – go, go, go!)

clockwise from left: turtle platter $310, barnacle apothecary jar $3, 080, artichoke $75, oval paper weights $30 each, butterfly dome $550, rabbit oval platter $75 -all from john derian

It’s pretty amazing that this craft still has appeal today. I’d be remiss if I left out the modern decoupage master – John Derian! Derian created his first decoupaged glass plate in 1989 and his name is certainly synonymous with high-end decoupage today! Derian uses reproductions of antique images and each of his decoupaged pieces are still created by hand. It’s definitely a big wow! And check out his decoupaged entry below. I love decoupage brought inside! Fun!

john derian’s decoupaged entry hall from 1st dibs style compass

Facts to Know

• One of Mrs. Delany’s closest friends was the Duchess of Portland, who was the richest woman in Britain. The Duchess was a great collector and she purchased the Portland Vase – which was a huge source of inspiration for Josiah Wedgwood – from Sir William Hamilton.
  • Marie Antoinette wasn’t the only queen who loved decoupage. Queen Charlotte was a decoupage enthusiast and friend to Mrs. Delany, and the Queen’s grand-daughter, Queen Victoria was also a decoupage collector!

Books to Read

diy project!
decoupage a glass to create a pencil holder!

materials needed

Cavallini Gift Wrap – for cut-outs
Elmer’s Glue – note: Mod Podge isn’t the best adhesive to use under glass – If you apply an even layer of glue between the paper artwork and the glass (without air bubbles), it will dry clear. If you remove too much glue, it will dry with streaks or shiny spots.
Acrylic Coating
tiny, sharp scissors
foam bruch
acrylic paint

1. Spray your chosen images with the acrylic coating (This step is not absolutely necessary, but it does make the image easier to cut. And if you’re using a digital print it ensures the ink won’t run.)
  2. Prep your glass by washing it, then wiping it down with vinegar to remove any soap residue. Let the glass air dry.
  3. Cut out your images
  4. Soak the image in hot water for a few seconds.
  5. Brush Elmer’s glue onto the wet image.
  6. Apply image to the glass.
  7. Repeat until you’ve finished the design.
  8. Using a foam brush, wipe any excess glue off the glass.
  9. Let dry overnight.
  10. Paint the inside of the glass your chosen color. (Be sure it dab your paint around the images, rather than brush it over) – I chose black in homage to Mrs. Delany!
  11. Give the glass a second coat.
  12. Let dry overnight.

1. Love this post. Thanks for the valuable information.

Talk soon.

2. jennifer g says:

My decoupage attempt was switchplates, using bugs and butterflies and flowers–good gifts!

3. carla says:

love the decoupage graphic! also, what is that awesome flower in the last photo??

4. Sarah says:

Cute! I think there might have been a problem with your URL, though, Grace. I had to change the 11 to 12 to get it to load.

1. amya says:

Thanks, Sarah! I fixed the link. -amya

5. Megan says:

Oh wow, I loved reading about the history of decoupage, what a treat!

6. Stella says:

Thank the lord! A use for all those bookcovers I collected back in college! I have some glasses that are not my style (football teams) that would be perfect test subjects.

7. Lindsay says:

I’ve been trying to pick the perfect pattern to decoupage my bed. This is a good nudge to get started!

8. Kate says:

I love the FIY pencil holder project! Can you use a similar method with fabric? Has anyone tried it?

9. Emeline says:

Carla: the flower is called an anemone. Lovely post!

1. amya says:

Thanks Emeline! I couldn’t remember what it was! It came from Sprout Home – my neighborhood flower shop!

10. Christine says:

This is one of the most informative posts I’ve seen since I’ve been following d*s. I really enjoyed getting so much history along with a project idea. Thank you!

11. Vee says:

Are the images on the inside or the outside of the glass?

12. hrhkat says:

I was just thinking today how there was nothing I wanted for christmas…and then I come here…

now you ruined it for me…I will have a terrible christmas unless I own those Decoupage chests for 15 grand from one of my FAVORITE sites, 1stdibs….
    thanks again design sponge, you found another way to make me feel bad about a life I thought was pretty good…without those chests, Im not complete…

13. sarah says:

I’ve been wanting to decoupage a floral/vine design on my wall. Do I simply use Elmers glue for that too?

14. amya says:

Hi Vee – The images are glued with onto the inside of the glass, then I also painted on the inside.

Hi Sarah – I’m sure Elmers would work for your wall as well – here’s an example on decoupaging on a ceiling! Good luck!

15. Thank you so much for posting the instructions! The ease of doing this is motivation to make some of these lovely votives I saw on Etsy for my wedding reception (but can’t afford, you know how that goes, lol!):

Sewing Pattern Tea Lights by CarolinaCottage

16. Sharon says:

Lovely post:) I’m a decoupage amateur, and I am on my very first project, and Xmas themed tissue box. You can see the preview at

Your post made great reading, thank you!

17. Thanks for the fun background! I used to decoupage everything from pencil jars to math book covers during high school so this is such a fun flashback. Maybe I’ll have to break out my scissors again for something a bit more elegant this time!

18. I can’t wait to try this on something! Thanks for the tips!

19. Thanks so much for the history lesson. I am planning on doing something similar for a couple of traditional American crafts on my blog (stay tuned for that) and would like to compare notes. What are some reliable sources that you recommend on history of American crafts?

20. rachelle says:

for anyone in the nyc area there is a wonderful woman who gives decoupage under glass classes.very reasonable. she is in the west village and advertises the classes on craigslist. i studied with her for 2 years. her name is karin lewis

21. Nadia says:

A great post. Thanks very much! I did a bit of decoupage a while ago and was just thinking about getting back into it.

22. Novi says:

Wonderful post! Mary’s decoupage is very impressive. This is all so inspiring, thank you!

23. Samantha says:

What great information! I have not decoupaged before, but am planning a school auction project. I wanted the kids to create their own artwork that I can decoupage onto a frame. Any idea what kind of paper and coloring tools I should use that wouldn’t bleed? Thanks so much!! When in doubt…ask an expert!

24. Shelly says:

Amy-This was fantastic! It was so well written and informative. I love the history behind it. Great job!! I’m running out to Goodwill right now to find a clear platter to deck out.

25. Eddie says:

This is a really great post. Just the sort of thing we love at Historic Crafts. The right amount history and craftyness to make it really interesting. Can’t wait to read the rest of the Past & Present posts.

26. Barbara Renfrow says:

HOW DO YOU DECOUPAGE FURNITURE TOPS AND SIDES? I used the mod poge and I had air bubbles in my printes so took a razor blade and just cut slits….then I found a piece of the mod podge with a hole down to my paint…it was like rubber…the mod podge…… I just had to cover it up with another piece of cut out. I think I have the steps mixed up. Can you refresh me for doing furniture

27. Bev says:

Amy I know this is years after you published this absolutely awesome piece of art so hopefully you will see this post. Your art work is absolutely gorgeous and the tutorial is just icing on the cake…so easy to read and follow along with. Thank you, thank you for sharing this gorgeous piece of art.