in the kitchen with: sunday suppers pt. 1

I’m already in full swing with the holiday season although I haven’t yet decided what to have for Christmas. However, we’re sure many of you have already thought about what you’re going to make, and have either started to make it, started the shopping or have already made it! For those of you who find yourself in my situation, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to give you a savory and a sweet option to try out over the holidays for your friends and family.

The extraordinary photographer and stylist Karen Mordechai from Sunday Suppers really went all out to make two amazingly beautiful dishes for us and really…I’m speechless! Today she’ll be sharing an amazing Butternut Squash + Pomegranate Galette and tomorrow we’ll follow this savory treat up with a delicious sweet Olive Oil Loaf Cake + Citrus Rosemary Compote. Keep reading to find out how you can have a cooking-dining experience at Sunday Suppers with Karen! -Kristina

Credits Styling + Photography by Karen Mordechai for Sunday Suppers. Amazing intern/helper in the kitchen/hand model Lizzy Sall

CLICK HERE for the full recipe, beautiful images and more about Sunday Suppers after the jump!

About Sunday Suppers:

Sunday Suppers is a class-cooking- dining experience, pairing friends and food. The food is market fresh, local and organic and the approach is to create seasonal and fresh meals together. Started by Karen Mordechai (stylist and Photographer) Cooking classes are held in a waterfront loft in Brooklyn, NY and are taught by local chefs. The guided class is followed by a communal-table setting, reminiscent of an intimate family meal.

The food is market fresh, local and organic and the approach is to create seasonal and fresh meals together, inspiring a sense of tradition and community. If you would like to sign up for a class email just send an email right here.

About Karen’s recipe:

Over the holidays everyone congregates in the kitchen. Bringing food and family together is what we do best at Sunday Suppers. We wanted to share recipes that were laidback and inviting, but delicious and gourmet nonetheless. Nothing says welcome home like something baking in the oven, so first we have chosen a savory galette filled with hearty veggies and a crisp pop of sweet. We found that the more pomegranate seeds you add to the galette the better—the little bursts of freshness are a wonderful complement to the warm roasted vegetables. Also, don’t skimp on the olive oil drizzle—the moisture is key. You will not regret this effortless choice to end a meal with your loved ones surrounding you. enjoy and happy holidays !

Butternut Squash + Pomegranate Galette
Makes two 12 inch galettes or one large

Savory Pie Dough :
3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
20 twist of a pepper mill
2 sticks cold butter cut in cubes
1/4 cup ice-cold water
½ butternut squash – halved and deseeded, and sliced
½ red onion sliced with root end still intact
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp chopped sage
Handful of pomegranate seeds
4 tbsp chopped toasted walnuts
Fresh pepper
Good quality extra virgin olive oil

Measure out flour, salt and pepper into a food processor. Mix well. Add the butter and pulse till butter resembles small pea size pieces. Add water while pulsing processor. Stop once the dough becomes a ball. Lay out a piece of clear wrap, lay the dough on it, flatten to a thick disk (or two) while wrapping. Allow to rest for at least ½ hour. (Dough Recipe by Camille Becerra )
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Slice the squash and cut the onion into equal width wedges—about ½ inch thick. Mix with butter, sage, salt and pepper and toss.

Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into 12 inch round and transfer to baking sheet. With each wedge beginning at center of the dough, fan squash and onions into pinwheel shape, overlapping and covering entire center of the round—leaving a few inch border. If you are making a large galette, you can form an outer row of veggies. Gently fold remaining dough over the edge of the filling, forming a freeform tart crust. Beat egg with a splash of water and brush over the crust. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and squash pierces easily with a fork.

While tart cools, sprinkle toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds over top.

When ready to serve drizzle generously with very good extra virgin olive oil. Crack fresh black pepper and sprinkle coarse sea salt.

1. Wren says:

Lovely recipe! I’m still on the hunt for a great Christmas Eve treat!

2. paula says:

looks divine. they are brilliant.

3. Lisa says:

looks so tasty! gorgeous photos too.

4. Alison says:

Oh my this looks heavenly!

I didn’t know about Sunday Suppers and always love a good cooking class

5. Sunday Suppers + Design Sponge… you just can’t go wrong! This looks positively delightful!

6. dani says:

Oh my GAWD my stomach is grumbling now. Seeing this while being stuck in an airport with nary a mcdonalds in sight is no bueno!

7. This sounds SO good! Love all of the photos!

8. Piper says:

sadly i’m in your boat…i’m just now planning the menu for our christmas open house! thanks for helping me keep my freak out to a minimum with this recipe – looks divine!

9. Willi says:

My friends are hosting an Iron Chef party and the secret ingredient is the very broad category of “winter vegetable”. I’m totally going to make this. It looks like a champion!

10. Lauren says:

looks delicious! thanks for posting the recipe. :)

11. I’m trying this for sure- thanks!
    Thanks & happy holidays!

12. Su says:

So, is the idea to leave the squash rind on? From the pix, it looks like it wasn’t removed and there aren’t any instructions to peel it off…. is it edible?

13. kristina + grace, thank you for the wonderful post, I was so honored to contribute to designsponge! and thank you for all the wonderful comments, happy to provide some holiday inspiration in the final hours. Su, yes, the rind stays on, it’s way easier than peeling, and after baking for 50 minutes, it completely softens. happy cooking everybody.

14. Thorsten says:

As everyone already said it: wonderful recipe. I love the idea of combining the pomegranate with all the herbs and squash. And if christmas dinner wouldn’t be already planned, that would be a wonderful choice. The great photos do the rest to convince everyone to try this. I will do, but after christmas.
    Happy Holidays.

15. I love the idea, the colors, the mood, soft and crunchy… Gorgeous!!!

16. Nancy says:

Su good question I was wondering about the rind myself? The recipe looks so good I am going to make this Christmas Eve.

17. Rebecca says:

This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing. Although i already have our holiday food, i will make this one day.

18. cheri says:

What an amazing dish! I love the contrasts and the photos are beautiful!

19. Al. says:

this is a great idea for my Christmas lunch!thank you for the (much needed) inspiration:)

20. Anna says:

This looks so delish and easy! Can you come teach classes in California?? :)

21. I am looking at the table this wonderful dish is placed on. I think I have the same antique dropleaf table. It is very old and I love it. The food looks great too. I will have to try the recipe.

22. Annie says:

Thank you thank you thank you!! I made two of these for Christmas Eve for 12 people and they got RAVE reviews.

If you are OK with cheating, you can buy store bought pie-crust and roll in some salt and fresh ground pepper…HUGE time saver with 7 other dishes to get on the table and presents to wrap!

23. Anna says:

I made this dish last night and it was outstanding!! I am not a chef by any standards and I’m always nervous around dough but this crust was so easy to make and the flavors blended wonderfully. Just a super savory dish that embodies all that is good about this season! Thank you for sharing!! I will be making this again…

24. This looks and sounds delicious! As a child I never liked squash, but now I’ve realized that I just didn’t like the way it was prepared. I’m trying to make up for lost time, and this looks like a great recipe to try. Thank you!

25. how wonderful, thank you for all the comments. annie and anna -so happy to hear that it worked out well.

26. Sarah says:

Absolutely delicious! simple a beautiful mix of color. Thanks for the recipe Karen; I’ll definitely make this again

27. Sydney says:

Absolutely delicious, everyone loved it and its so easy to make.