Holiday Inspiration

I have torn pages from magazines for years and tucked them away in folders and notebooks I keep in my studio. I thought I would go through them (its been a while) and pull together some holiday decorating inspiration for us all to enjoy. (The original source is noted when I have it.) Enjoy!

papergarland
*Living Etc December 2008
I’ve always loved the paper garland in this photo. Wouldn’t it be fun in a festive color? (Even though it looks pretty great the way it is here.) You could do this on fishing line or twine, cut squares of paper, string with a needle, maybe tie some knots here and there to hold bunches together.

homespunchristmas
Homespun Christmas image from Jane Cumberbatch’s book Pure Style Living
I love the simplicity of the decorations in this image, holiday decor doesn’t have to be over the top to be beautiful. This space feels cozy, a room filled with homemade, lovely things…the peppers strung across the window, the fabric scrap ornaments on the tree, the hyacinths blooming.

strawornaments
I pulled this image out of a Family Circle magazine a few years ago because I love that the starburst-like ornaments are made from colored straws you can get at any grocery store. It would be so great to do this type of look in a kid’s room, they could make the ornaments. The how-to is simple: Cut 3 straws on one color, and 3 of another, cut them all in half and gather into a group. Tie them altogether in the center with twine or sturdy string, leaving a long tail. Pull tightly, knot, then bend straws into a starburst shape. Use the tail of the string to create a hanging loop. You can make a larger one for the top of the tree by using the full length of the straw (don’t cut them in half).

holidayornaments
(Sorry, I don’t have a source for this one). These sweet little ornaments would make great gift toppers for packages or even embellishing a Christmas cards. The recipient could then hang it on their tree. Make something like this using felt (you could use sweater scraps from the wreath). Cut it into a fancy ornament-type shape, and glue any kind of pretty ribbon, trim, sequins, whatever you have in your craft room on one or both sides.

papermacheornaments
From Marie Claire Idees December 2007. I really want to make these with my kids either this year or next Christmas. Buy plain round ball ornaments, or cover a small round inflated balloon with paper mache. When dry, you can paint and embellish (I love the one with what looks like upholstery studs).

scrapwreath
This wreath image is also from Marie Claire Idees (December 2006). Just knot torn strips of your favorite fabric and cover a wire wreath form.

Thank you to Grace and all the folks at design*sponge for letting me share some posts with you this week, its been really fun. Next week I’ll be back home, still celebrating the holiday season.

Happy Holidays to everybody! xo- Blair

1. i’m pretty much obsessed with the tree that has the pipe cleaner star bursts. makes me want to completely rethink my holiday decor theme! which is brown paper packages tied-up with string, btw.

perhaps i could incorporate them… ugh! is it next christmas yet?

2. Marlene says:

Love the table setting, so clean and festive at the same time.

3. jingle says:

Fancy tree, fantastic kitchen table, you truly spent time selecting items out of best quality and unique taste, it reminds me of a dream coming true.

4. Shanon says:

I’m definitely going to store away the idea to make those felt ornaments. They are wonderful.

5. CraftyRachel says:

Great ideas! I was just re-reading that December 2007 issue of Marie Claire Idées. Lovely inspiration.

6. Neicy Frey says:

ooooooo! I love the paper garlands!

7. Tina says:

The photo of the blue and white ornaments hanging on the branch is also from Family Circle (though from a different issue). As the photo director, I was at both photo shoots, so am glad that our pictures made an impact. Would love to see what other readers do with the ideas!

8. jenny says:

Those are absolutely adorable! I decoupaged some ball ornaments with clippings from gun magazines and glued ornament hangers on top of shotgun shells so my husband and I could have a gun-themed tree. We’ve been doing it every year for the past 3 years and add to it every year.

9. Meg says:

Just found this web adn blog! What glorious fun :)

10. Meg says:

*good grief* I meant “and”