diy project: maria’s zebra console

this diy project is part diy, part before & after inspiration, but since we’re closing up shop tomorrow for the holidays i wanted to share this today.

d*s reader and blogger maria jones came across a “drop dead gorgeous nailhead zebra console table” at horchow for $3000 and fell in love. unable to manage the hefty price tag, maria’s “handy dandy” sister helped her create her own version, by crafting the wood herself and having maria contact paper it in zebra print. the final touch, nailheads, were added my maria’s husband for a total cost of $100. great work, you guys!

CLICK HERE for maria’s full how-to details after the jump!

• Hardwood from Home Depot to assemble table
  • nail gun or nails/hammer
  • Zebra contact paper
  • scissors
  • nail heads (Jo-ann’s)

This is a pretty straight forward project which is why it was right up my alley, not too time-consuming with pretty instant results!

1. First gather 3 large pieces of hardwood from Home Depot according to how high and wide you would like your table. (By the way, Home Depot will cut the wood for you in the lumber section.)

2. Next assemble hardwood pieces by using nail-gun or nails and hammer.

3. Then wrap in zebra contact paper, just like your wrapping a present, trim excess with scissors and line up pattern.

4. Then tack in nail heads with a mallet on the front and your done!

1. lnm says:

Very nice and I love the painting.

2. bananas. says:

WOW!!! i can barely tell the difference! she did an awesome job.

3. Bren says:

Wow! The $100 version is so much nicer than the original! Nice job!

4. Stella says:

why is the other one $3000? Is it wrapped in real zebra?!

Great idea, I really want a console table for my entryway, but I like the idea of using chalkboard contact paper instead!

5. Courtney says:

I like it, but I think that the original works better for me because the zebra stripes are thick whereas the DIY ones are thin and a little busy looking, which makes it hard to see the beading detail. Other than that, I like it! If I were crafty, I would try this. LOL

6. Piper says:

just beautiful…and thanks for giving me ideas – i have 2 silver lamps with white shades that i think really, really need those blue shades you used! did they come as part of the lamps?

7. Amy says:

I like the second one better…

8. Tennille says:

Brilliant handy work! You should be proud. I would happily use it in my home or a client’s!

9. Vebosh says:

uuhhh pretty easy to do it!!… i’ll try to do it with another stamp!!
    thanks for the DIY!!

10. Jilian says:

oh oh oh this wants to live in my bedroom. I’m so doing this – but I think it would be perfect for light batting and fabric! The possibilities are endless – dots, toile, etc.

11. PhillyLass says:

Wow– fantastic job. And your styling on and around the console are so much nicer than the inspiration piece. You must have a very glamorous home!

12. K-Line says:

This is just fabulous.

13. Tia says:

What a great idea! I have been searching for a table similar to this for my dining/living room and I think this is easy enough for me to do myself!! Although I don’t trust that mine will turn out as clean as yours! ;)

14. Very impressive. Talk about an exact replication.

15. kay* says:

looks fantastic! great job.

16. paula says:

She is great and such an inspiration. Loved this project of her’s.

17. maria Johns says:

thanks for such the warm and encouraging comments, you guys rock.
    stella- the real table is from and is real zebra leather, thus the steep pricetag! and I love the idea of doing it with chalkboard contact paper, that would look fantastic and kid-friendly!
    Piper-the lamps came with the fab navy blue shades from target no less on clearance!

18. Autumn says:

I’m not into animal print, but what an amazing “the look for less” transformation! Awesome DIY job.

19. Lex Cut says:

I am amazed! You saved up thousands of dollars and the result even looked better!

Very good.

20. hrhkat says:

I remember seeing that console on the neiman marcus website and thinking “that shouldnt be 3000 dollars, all it is 3 pieces of particle board nailed together with zebra fabric and nail heads”….and now what do you know, its a craft!!!

I gotta say, for 100 bucks, that table looks identical to the 3000 dollar one. It wouldnt work in my house, but if I had a really hip loft or a modern mid century, it would look wonderful!

21. hrhkat says:

P.S. I love the DIY get this look for less posts…we need more of them!!!

22. Dodi says:

Beautiful job! I’m curious–when the leg is nailed to the top, you don’t need a bracket or glue or something? It seems like it would become wobbly or unstable with nails only. Also, any advice for hammering those nails in straight? (Can you tell I’ve had a few unsuccessful DIYs?!)

23. holly says:

I love that piece too- nice work.

I believe the original piece is covered in material which is dyed hide- not real zebra hide. It is a natural hide and then dyed with black zebra stripes to appear like a real zebra hide. These are handmade items hence, the pricetag.

24. maria Johns says:

Hey Dodi!! My sister used a nailgun to put the wood pieces together and kept them all steady with clamps during the assembly. we thought it would be unsteady as well, but proved us wrong and our table is on the large side. If you make a smaller table and use thick wood there shouldn’t be a problem with balance.
    Good luck, hope it turns out for ya!

25. Kate says:

You crafty thing! So clever. Please could you tell me about the painting. I ADORE it!

26. maria Johns says:

sorry me, again…here’s my email for further questions about
    another tip, my sister said she used deck screws for extra strength.
    also, kate-the painting was a steal at homegoods!

27. jackie says:

Nice table, but I really like that painting! Is that also a DIY, or can I get some info about where it came from?

28. Tabitha says:

How stable is the table? is there a specific way to ask for the wood to be cut?

This is very inspirational!

29. If additional stability is needed or for your own peace of mind, you can use L brackets, aka “corner braces” underneath or bracket the piece to the wall. All depends on the overall dimensions of the piece.

30. Amber says:

I saw the original design the same day I discovered this website. They had it at a Home Goods store on sale for $75.

31. Elizabeth says:

Fantastic! Another idea is to use fabric instead of contact paper and use a spray adhesive (about $15) to glue it. That gives you more options if you can’t find a contact paper that you like.

32. Bethany says:

LOVE THIS!! The zebra print is to die for. I’m going to make this, this weekend! But WHERE in the world did you get the zebra print contact paper? I can’t find it anywhere!!
    Beautiful job! (:

33. kim says:

I want to try this but I found some fabric to use instead! :)

34. Wow I am 100% doing this! Looks simple enough. Thanks for sharing! :)

35. Misty K says:

my daughter wants to have a desk in her room. her decor is black and white so this would be perfect! I have been looking for a desk and since I could make this any size to fit her space I love the idea!!! I also like your version much better than the original. great job!

36. I found this post via pinterest and it inspired me to make an even cheaper version. Well, I had an old IKEA Lack table and some cheap zebra contact paper. I didn’t use the studs, but thanks for the inspiration, it’s brought a new lease of life into an 8 year old table :)

37. Monya says:

there is no link to “click here” and I don’t know how to reach Maria jones to request adding me to her blog. how do I find the DIY instructions?