diy project: kristen’s ruffly felt wreath

continuing with the fluffy holiday craft theme is this beautiful wreath project from the talented blogger behind domestifluff (i love that name), kristen. inspired by a rosette pillow tutorial on etsy, kristen decided to create her own version for a wreath. though there was “much felt circle cutting involved” kristen loved the outcome, and the fact that it can be used year round. of course, if you want to make it more holiday specific you can choose alternate colors to use- but i love kristen’s snowy white version. if you’ve got a cold “stuck inside” day on your hands, this will be a great one to with friends or family. thanks so much to kristen for sharing!

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

Ruffly felt wreath from Kristen at Domestifluff

What you’ll need for the wreath:

– a 12 inch styrofoam wreath form
– approximately 2 1/2 yards of felt
– straight pins (enough to match the number of felt circles needed, plus two for attaching the hanger)
– scissors
– a 3 inch circle template
– a pencil
– ribbon for hanging

Making the Felt Rosettes

Using a pencil and your circle template (or that great tutorial from maya*made), trace circles onto the felt. Cut the felt circles, and fold them in half twice to form rosettes. Insert a pin near the bottom corner of the rosette, about 1/8 inch from the corner.

Attaching the Felt Rosettes

Attach the felt rosettes to the wreath form, making sure to group the rosettes tightly enough that no styrofoam is showing through the rosettes. After you’ve added a few, fluff and adjust the rosettes to your liking. Continue making, pinning, and attaching the rosettes until you’ve worked your way around the wreath form. If you have circles that are slightly misshapen or that have a little pencil or ink on them, place them toward the outside or inside edges, where they can’t be seen when the wreath is hanging.

Wreath Back

This is what my wreath looked like on the back when I was finished. As you can see, I started off with ball point straight pins, but I switched to flat head pins when the rosette count started to get up there and I had to run out and buy more pins. If you use flat head pins, then I suggest using a thimble to push them into the wreath form, or your thumb will take a beating. Ask me how I know.

Wreath Hanger

After you’ve finished adding the felt rosettes, cut a 5 inch length of ribbon, fold it in half, and attach it to the wreath form with two pins to form a hanger.

Wreath Finished

I love how organic the wreath looks when it’s finished. The ruffly felt rosettes, when grouped together like this, remind me a bit of a coral reef. While this is a rather ambitious project, I think it was completely worth the time spent. I’ll be using my wreath year ’round as part of my home décor!

1. Absolutely GORGEOUS! I love it! I definitely have to make this, the white will look beautiful against my milk chocolate painted walls!

Thanks for sharing!!!
    Hugs, Health & Happiness,
    Anita, a Knitting Junkie!

1. Kris says:

Would makeup rounds from the dollar store work instead of cutting all those circles.

2. Missy says:

This is absolutely gorgeous! I did one with a heart wreath in red. A lady from another site ( up your great idea to do a Valentine’s wreath. I’m going to do a white or cream one like yours for a gift! Thanks for your inspiration!

3. Honmi says:

Great idea…so love too!! Thanks for the instructions

4. aprilornament says:

Love the wreath I will have to try and make one for next year.

5. Halley Caitlin says:

Just finished mine & it looks beautiful! THANKS!

6. Rosa Lee says:

I absolutely LOVED your wreath. Just made one for our front door yesterday. Loves it!

7. adrienne says:

Love this! I am so going to make it for my front door!

8. Pamela says:

These are so pretty and super easy (although tedious) to make! I’m making several for my wedding decorations!! I’m doing mine in grey, but I can’t wait to try out other colors too!

9. Geri says:

Just stumbled on your blog today. This is so cute! I will definitely give a try! Thank you for sharing! ;)

10. jen says:

very cute. will definitely attempt this project after august 28th. :)

11. mckenzie says:

Soooo gorgeous! I’m 1/3 of the way done with mine and am using COTTON ROUNDS instead~saved me a ton of work :D

1. Sonya says:

Please post a pic using the cotton rounds.
      Sounds like a good alternative.

12. noodle says:

I finally finished mine! Started it last year :( and couldn’t find a flippin’ polystyrene wreath.

13. Taylor says:

This is GORGEOUS! I linked to it with some other DIY felt holiday projects here:

14. J. says:

Thank you for the tutorial–I fell in love and had to try! Here’s mine:, and I linked to your tute. Thanks!

15. Hilary says:

Love at first sight. I made this today for my mom for Christmas. It basically took me the entire day. I started at 8 and ended shortly after 5. Like a work day. I couldn’t get an exacto knife to cut the felt so I had to cut the circles by hand. I didn’t need quite 300. I used about 250. It ended up looking just like the picture! In hindsight I should have probably chosen green for my mom. I was just so enamored with the white. It was an easy project. Didn’t take much brain power but it is really lovely.

16. Annie says:

Thanks so much for this easy, simple but STUNNING project! I took the basic design but applied it to foam spheres to make ornaments at my annual Christmas ornament-making brunch. They were a complete hit! I love how “forgiving” the design is…no need to make perfect circles. :)

17. Sharon Eason says:

I love it! What a great idea!

18. Liron says:

This is amazing. And I love how you can be inspired from this tutorial to make so many other things!
    Just beautiful!

19. katie says:

I linked you in my felt flower ball project.

20. Mindy says:

I found the heart shaped version of this and absolutely love this idea! Thanks! I made my own:

21. Rachel says:

I made several of these in red for Christmas and found the smooth foam holds the pins better than the more airy foam. I found some 4-inch balls at the dollar store and bought a bunch, so happy to find them so cheap. I needed to make centerpieces for a luncheon. I used red felt, 4-inch balls (6-inch was about right for a kissing ball i made, then mounted it on 1/2 dowels from the hardware store painted red. I bought some square glass candle holders from the dollar store and cut foam to fit it. Next time i will try plaster of paris, as long as i can remove the dowel for easier storage. The foam was a little wobbly. I cut more circles and hot glued them in an overlapping pattern to cover the clear glass holders. Then a little spray glitter added some glitz, it was perfect. Lastly, I needed to cover the foam on the top, and found a jar of “Christmas bowl filler”, little round balls that looked like little chocolates wrapped in glitter red/green paper. I used fake boughs from the dollar store to wrap around it on the table and sprinkled some pine cones and candy kisses around. They were perfect. I hope to be able to do it again in white for a wedding or shower.

22. Kelli W-S says:

@ Rachel, do you have pictures of your centerpieces? They sound amazing!

23. Renata C. Franklin says:

I am making this as we speak because it is just and awesome craft idea. I purchased pink felt because it is going to be for my daughters room. I will be including a picture frame in the middle to make it more personal. I am a photographer by trade so I just had to add that extra touch. Great Idea!

24. Sonya says:

I love this idea. Beautiful.

25. Ashley says:

I want to know of any good ideas to hide the back of the wreath. I have a storm door, so yo can see both sides.

26. Aimee says:

I love this idea! I am going to make one tonight and add some ornaments and a red ribbon then change it out for the next holiday! I think you could cover the back with ribbon or fabric if you see both sides. I think I will make a red white and blue one for 4th of july too. This idea is so versatile, thanks for sharing it!

27. Christina says:

Love the look of this. At first I thought the circles were cotton face rounds. I think I would just use those instead because I am super impatient. Plus, most of them have a quilted texture which I think would be cute.

28. donna says:

Really Pretty! Great idea! Love it…

29. Melissa says:

So easy, anyone can do it. Just a little time consuming. I made one with black and yellow circles for my friend who is a Steelers fan!

30. Karencht says:

totally loving this idea!

31. Sara Nelson says:

Do you think this would work with a straw wreath? I could not find a foam wreath at Michaels.

32. Nicole says:

Currently making this but……
    I did go for a slightly larger wreath size of 14 but I bought 6feet of felt and 200 pins and I need more!! OMG, this has cost me $18.00 to make already. What did i do wrong???

33. Crystal says:

I just made this wreath and it turned out so nice! I love it. Thanks for the great tutorial.

34. cathy shaw says:

This would make a great table centerpiece for any occasion. Just center it with a plane hurricane candle holder with a candle color of your choice. This white would be beautiful for a wedding

35. Guniek says:

Vary simple and nice.

36. Britt says:

I love this elegant wreath! I’m going to feature you on my website in a few days. Thank you for making me look good. :)

37. kathy shank says:

i think i will try and cut these with my sizzix for the circles, thanks for the great idea i cant wait to make, thanks again, kathy

38. Denise MacColeman says:

In the cosmetic department of Walmart they sell bags of cotton circle pads for make up removal. They will work perfect.

39. traveler says:

simple and very elegant…

40. Sandra says:

I loved! I used the idea for a christmas tree!

41. nasim says:

i love it so simple and uniqe

42. Barbara Bowman says:

Ok I Love this and I added a bow it is wonderful.Thank you so much and I am going to try it in other colors.

43. Kristi says:

I love the one I just made for spring. Added a bunny from dollar tree and a few flowers. I want to make one for Christmas. Might even try a 4th of July one! Thank you

44. Megan says:

I loved this project! Made mine in a darker color with corsage pins for sparkle! It goes with my decor and have gotten a lot of wonderful comments! Thank you!

45. MAtina says:

I think it is great butr I am gonna gine itatry with demakeup cottons.

46. Linda Stagg Kent England says:

what a smashing wreath,can’t wait to have a go.

47. barb says:

this is gorgeous!!!!

48. Pat Webb says:

I love this, and it just looks gorgeous. I will be making it for our Christmas in July celebrations. Regards from New South Wales, Australia.

49. Kata says:

the pins hold well for a long period?

50. Paige says:

I’m making one this year but I live in a more rural area without a craft or fabric store so I looked on amazon and actually found a company called Nakpunar that sells pre-cut felt rounds in a variety of sizes and colors for not much more than the felt would be. I’ll take a little extra cost to avoid all the tracing and cutting.