diy project: kate’s log dome display jar

log jar display
i just want to say that i envy all of you out there with a working fireplace. i have very fond memories of sitting around a crackling fire in maine, and watching my dad place freshly chopped firewood in a huge pile outside. that being said (anyone else watch curb your enthusiasm?), i am glad i can bring wood projects into my home on a smaller scale while i enjoy the mild california winter. the month of december will feature wood projects for decorating and gift giving, and they are all fairly easy projects requiring few tools. this first project is very special to me because i have always loved miniatures, and now i have a nice homemade display jar for all of my little treasures. these would make a charming hostess gift, or great holiday table decor; i can see a cluster of them with fresh pinecones and sprigs of winter greens tucked inside. all you need is a saw, and you could even skip the wood-burned indentation ring if you were in a hurry, but i think it adds a nice touch. plus that way i get the brief nostalgic experience of smelling burning wood! have fun! – kate

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

materials:

1. wooden log (if you want to skip the sawing wood step, you can buy wood coasters at various places. i found these simple ones online)

2. saw (chop saw or a regular tooth saw and mitre box)

3. pencil

4. stemless wine glass, drinking glass, or a clean glass jar (this is depending on what shape you want your jar to be. i found stemless wine glasses had a nice domed shape, but a jar would also look nice. if you want to size these up, i recommend using mason or other food container jars or simple glass vases as cheap options)

5. wood burning tool (these are sold at craft and hobby stores, and range in price from $12 up to $30 or so. you need one with a medium rounded tip, or you can purchase the tip separately)

cost:

stemless wine glasses: $3 for two at crate and barrel
wood logs: free (cut from logs in my backyard)
wood burning tool: $15

time:

2 hours

log jar display process

instructions:

1. cut your log slice. it can be anywhere from 1″ – 3″ thick, but make sure both sides are flat so it sits level.

2. flip your glass over and center it in your log slice. trace around the rim with a pencil to leave a ring template on your log.

3. turn on your burning tool and let it heat up. working very slowly and carefully, burn the ring into the wood so it is is indented by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. when you are tracing the ring with the burner, work on the inside of the line because the line you traces sits directly outside the actual rim, and you want the rim to fit into the groove you are burning. stop every few minutes to place the glass in the ring to see if your shape is right. i recommend not trying to draw the entire ring at once with the burner, but instead burn tiny dots one right next to each other and then run over them again and again to connect them into a continuous shape.

4. switch off your burning tool and let it cool down. brush off the top of your wood and place you glass upside down. the rim of the glass should fit into the burned ring, preventing the glass form slipping around.

note: you do not need the indentation ring, but it does help keep the glass positioned and the burned wood pattern is actually quite lovely. but the glass can also simply sit atop the log if the log is level.

YOU’RE DONE!!

log display small closeup
log display jar open

1. Another simple and beautiful project. Love it!

2. Jillian says:

These are a really cool, woodsy take on glass cloches. And, so easy!

3. Shanna says:

darling, darling, darling!

4. briana says:

I absolutely love this idea. I tried out a similar snowglobe idea, with water. Quite disastrous. But this is incredible, simple, and unique.

Having said that, I hope someone makes me one this year. Because I certainly respect wood. :)

5. susan says:

So clever! Great do’s and don’ts in your instructions too.

6. Warren says:

Neat idea! A hole saw could be used to make a perfectly symmetrical hole for the glass as well, you would just have to not cut all the way through.

7. simone rene says:

LOVE THIS!!! so many things I now want to keep under glass

8. simone rene says:

LOVE THIS! There are so many things I now want to keep under glass

9. Quinn says:

Great for those who respect wood.

10. robin says:

that being said, this is fabulous :O)

11. Marisa says:

Hey there, I love those birch wood log pieces in the photos. Do you know you can buy those?

12. Sarah says:

Such an adorable idea!

13. Kaarina says:

hmmm… kind of like a dry terrarium! Could probably use it as one if you stuck a little plate on top of wood. SO super duper cute.

14. We have these to Montreal guys on the Upper Wes Side who live in their van all winter, swapping night shifts in order to whittle birch logs into cute reindeer and snowmen shapes. Very rustic and playful.

15. Jaclyn says:

Wow! So simple and so beautiful.

16. Really lovely… Thanks for the tutorial!

17. cécile says:

I adore it! so cute

18. Gabriela says:

Hello,

These are clever and so fabulous!

~ Gabriela ~

19. Angelina says:

I love these! I have to make one :)

20. awesome idea! this would be great next to the sink for your rings when you wash dishes! bookmarked!

21. Miss B says:

My favorite DIY on D*S ever!

22. Malia says:

I am so going to do this – this very weekend. Thank you!

23. georgia says:

very cute

24. Krystel says:

Wow! Thanks! I have air plants that in winter time have to come inside where life is perilous (my cat loves chewing on them). I couldn’t find anything to put on the windowsill so they could get light but that would protect them from kitty – a variation of this would work great!

25. Evita says:

I am so, so very charmed by this. Bravo!

Thank you for sharing.

26. Shannon says:

FYI – These round shot glasses would also work really well for small domes. The bottom of them is round, so you don’t have a flat top.

27. banu says:

if I use a wine glass, how do I remove the bottom part? do I need a glass remover or something?

thanks

28. LeeAnn says:

Very clever! Love it!

29. ckilgore says:

lovely! i have some little ceramic bird ornaments that would look perfect in one of these year round.

30. kate says:

banu,
    you can buy a glass cutting kit, like you would use to cut a wine bottle or something similar, and you could use it to cut the wine glass stem off. i would be careful though because i am not sure how much you would be able to smooth down where you cut the stem off, you might be stuck with a sharp nub…if it works please let us know!! good luck!

31. Christine says:

So beautiful! I just love the way objects look under glass. You are able to see all the details so much better and they look so special.

32. Cherrey says:

this is really really unique.. absolutely love this idea…

33. Callie says:

Wow gorgeous, I love it! Can’t believe I passed up some perfect stemless wine glasses at a thrift shop last weekend. Will have to keep my eye out!