diy project: kate’s log buttons

log buttons
here’s a last minute idea for your gifts- wrapping them or making them! these log slices take mere minutes to complete if you have a saw and drill handy. you could also ask your local lumberyard to cut them for you if you don’t have a saw, because it’s just a few quick slices. you can add these to gifts or cards as extra decoration, or add them to sweaters, scarves or hats for a nice organic touch. i hope you have safe, relaxing, and happy holidays everyone! see you in january!! – kate

note: the screen printed faux bois wrapping paper is available from blankspace gallery in oakand.

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

1. logs
2. drill with small bit
3. chop saw (or saw with mitre box)
4. safety goggles and dust mask
5. scrap piece of wood.

1. $5 for logs (or free if you have them on hand)

30 minutes

1. slice the logs in thicknesses between .5″ and 2″.
2. drill four holes evenly spaced from the center of each slice.
3. brush off all the sawdust and use a bbq skewer or chopstick to poke out the sawdust from inside the holes.
4. if you want to, you can paint these with a couple coats of clear sealant to prevent dampness or staining, but i put mine out to air dry a bit and left them plain. it’s up to you!

log buttons closeup
log button
log buttons detail

1. robinnested says:

I love these. Cute, clever… you can just hit your backyard for materials. I’m sad I’ve already wrapped all my gifts!

2. katy elliott says:

Wow so cute and creative!

3. Jessica says:

These are neat. I had the idea to make slices of logs as candleholders or chargers if they would be thin enough. To use under clear plates. Now I have to convince my wood splitting friends to do it for me!

4. kelly says:

these are such a great idea — love them. thanks and happy holidays!

5. Becca says:

I love the wrapping paper too- where’s that from?

6. nkp says:

This is the epitome of cuteness! I feel as though the ubiquitous light bulb just went off over my head. Watch out world, I want to “log button” everything in sight! ;0)

Thanks for sharing this very clever how-to!

7. zess says:

wow, so alluring with a small effort can also be applied on dry branches for cylindrical shape. thanks for sharing

8. Justine says:

Very cool – what a neat a creative idea! Thanks for sharing it!