diy project: erica’s holiday wreath

ericareadymadewreath
[i was so excited to see erica of p.s. i made this‘ wreath on the cover of readymade magazine and was so excited to hear from her about the project. the full steps weren’t run in the magazine so she was kind enough to share them here today. thanks, erica!]

I love making holiday decor items out of things I have laying around the house, as I’m always trying to reuse and re-purpose items from my kitchen to my craft closet. This Rope Wreath was created for Readymade Magazine‘s Holiday cover and in-book feature that shows my other holiday DIY ideas for Hanukkah and Christmas. Have fun getting ready for the holidays… tiz the season! -Erica

*ReadyMade image by Kathryn Gamble and Rick Lozier

CLICK HERE for the full how-to after the jump!

matrials

INGREDIENTS:

Plain wreath- available at a craft or floral store
Rope- A Clothesline works great!
*Sponges- Mix different textures and colors! Brillo, kitchen sponges, etc.
White Matte Spray paint
Buttons
Glue Gun
Scissors

DIRECTIONS:

STEP 1-
Secure rope to the back of wreath with glue, and begin to wrap

STEP 2-
Wrap entire wreath with rope, gluing as you go. Dab glue every few inches as you wrap, hold in place till glue has dried.
This only takes a few seconds. Remember to ONLY glue on the back, so you keep nice and clean on the front.

wreath2

STEP 3-
Cut out leaves out of *sponges in varying sizes. Use regular scissor or Pinking sheers for a zig-zag decorative edge.

leaves

STEP 4-
Cluster and glue *sponge leaves with buttons all over surface of wreath to create holly bunches.

STEP 5-
SPRAY AWAY! Use White matte spray (my favorites are Krylon and Montana).

After your wreath is dry, add a festive ribbon to hang on a wall, door, of entry way.

PS- Great creative- make in several different sizes grouping together and experiment with other colors!

PS- HAPPY HOLLY-DAYS!

finalwreath

1. Very cool and timely project – and easy enough to enlist some smaller hands too!
    thanks,
    Michaela

2. Freck says:

This is awesome!! I may just put this on my diy list this weekend :)

3. kimberly says:

This is neat! I actually use green brillo pads to make christmas trees for my vintage cards that I sell! Great idea for the wreath, too!

4. Lisa says:

i love this idea! i will keep this for next year. thanks for sharing.

5. elle says:

hmm… i can’t get past the materials, they just don’t make for an attractive festive finish in my opinion. maybe in real life i would like the look a little more.

6. We were so excited to have Erica working with us on this issue. Just wanted to say that there are instructions for this wreath (and another version using buttons) in the issue on pg 49, but we appreciate the additional how-to!
    Amy

1. grace says:

amy

i’m so sorry, i heard they weren’t featured! i’m checking with erica now about that…

grace

7. caroline says:

This is great for the back door or in the kitchen. I’m going to add a few clothes pins, too, for a welcome note or holiday cheer.

8. Marija says:

Wow, this is a decorating inspiration indeed!! And it looks so easy to make.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Love your blog :)

9. Miss Jess says:

Wow, this is a super cool project – I was very surprised by the sponges – I never would have come up with that as a material source. Dig it!

10. CraftyRachel says:

I was admiring this project in ReadyMade as well. It kind of looks cool without the spray paint, too, making it even easier to complete with materials on hand. Nice work!

11. Vicki says:

I used white nubby yarn for this and it looks awesome!

12. Nela says:

Wonderful wreath! Thanks for sharing!

13. Sharon says:

Thank you for this! I made my own version and love it–can’t wait to display it each Christmas!

14. Love creating DIY wreaths for the winter! This one is warming up my front door. http://hauteapplepie.com/2010/11/26/diy-winter-wreath/