diy project: emily’s ornament wreath

Emily-thirtyeight20-technicolorwreath1
i’ve seen so many beautiful rustic wreath ideas this year, that i thought it would be fun to switch it up a bit and share this fun project from emily at thirty-eight 20. emily sent over her “technicolor ornament wreath” project and i couldn’t resist. it’s a great way to make use of inexpensive ornaments (the kind that always seem to be on sale at drug stores this time of year), and create something that you won’t have to worry about keeping misted or fresh. thanks so much for emily for sharing her project!

CLICK HERE for emily’s project steps after the jump!

Technicolor Ornament Wreath Project from Emily at Thirty-Eight 20

What you’ll need:

* Wreath Form (I used an 18″ straw version, but you could use styrofoam)
* At least 200 plastic balls/ornaments of all sizes and shapes for an 18″ wreath (I bought lots of silver and gold balls at the “Everything’s a Dollar” store for cheap, plus a couple tubs of colorful ones at Target. Multiple sizes are recommended for filling in gaps. The crazier the better.)
* Fabric or paint of your choice to cover the wreath form
* Craft wire
* Hot glue gun or fast-drying clear craft glue
* Twine or heavy ribbon for hanging

How To:

This is the easiest thing ever, so I probably don’t need to write out the steps… but here goes anyway:

1. Wrap the wreath form in fabric and secure the ends with glue, or spray paint it so the form doesn’t show through any gaps. (I didn’t do either of these, but if you want it to look extra good you might want to.) Let dry.
2. Tie a large loop of twine or ribbon around the wreath now so you can hang it when it’s done. Trust me — it will be way too hard to do it once the balls are on it!
3. With the wreath lying flat, secure the first few balls at various points all over the form with wire and glue so that you have a solid base. I don’t think there’s any real technique to this part. I start with some of the duller silver and gold balls first to save the prettiest ones for the top layers.
4. Once you have the first one or two dozen firmly secured, start gluing the rest and filling in gaps. I work in various places all over the wreath at once to make sure it’s laid out with relative symmetry and evenness. My advice for this: don’t place the balls on the first layer too close together — you’ll be filling in gaps with second and third layers, so leave space for them to nestle in.
5. Let dry thoroughly, and hang it someplace where it won’t take a beating (i.e. not on a high-traffic door.) Stare at it regularly to let Christmas cheer fill your soul.

Some tidbits of advice: Always think ahead regarding groupings of color and size. Also consider that your wreath has a top and bottom since you’ve already tied the twine. And be sure not to glue any balls in a way that would obstruct the twine, because they’ll pop off when you hang it.

Word of Caution: Transport and store your wreath carefully. Mine has survived a few moves, but not without having to reattach some ornaments along the way. It’s a labor of love, having a wreath this cool and festive.

1. Amandita says:

this makes my heart happy! Too much fun!

2. Kristan says:

Surprisingly adorable! When you hear a concept like that (or at least when I do! :P) you think, Tacky. But no, this is great. I think it could be a really great way to use old ornaments you don’t like/want anymore too. Though you might not have a whole wreath’s worth all at once… (Maybe collect them in a box until you do? I think that’s my new plan. :))

3. Wow! Love it! I’ve seen this done before, but never this well! The colors, the form, everything is just perfect!

4. Suze says:

Awesome! I am going to try this tonight :)

5. Nativeson71 says:

BRAVO DUDE!!!
    Drug Stores and Dollar Stores are great resources for quirky decorations anytime of year – awesome wreath indoors and out…and if it gets damaged glue something new on.

6. Craftzilla says:

WOW! My eyes hurt a little, but I love it. This wreath would be visible from across the street!

7. annie says:

yes a very nice reprieve from rustic rama…….

8. jenni says:

love it! I want to badly do a monocromatic version with different finishes: glitter, dull, shiny, small, large…oh the possibilities!

9. Eva says:

Whaaaa! This is the best wreath i’ve seen so far! It’s boosting with christmas energy, haha

10. I love it! I was just thinking our new wood-sided sheep barn needs a festive green wreath with a big red bow hung above the entrance, but now – especially seeing yours on a weathered wood background – I think what it really needs is a giant one of these! :)

11. Ooo! I did something similar and love it so much.

If you fancy a look it’s on http://annaandtheringlondon.blogspot.com/2009/11/and-then-rain-came.html

12. Alice In Aliceland says:

I LOVE this wreath but can’t find the ornaments to make it. Went to Target, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree and Big Lots… :(

13. lee says:

I must make this! SO pretty!!!

14. Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Kristan – One of my friends who saw it said it was “just the right amount of tacky to be awesome.” :-)

Alice – try the Home Depot. Mine has tubs full of mixed shapes, colors and sizes that are perfect for this. If you do make one, I’d love to hear how it turns out!

15. becky says:

My husband and I are making this right now! But I ran out of ornaments and glue…and it’s getting late…so I will venture out ,buy some more ornaments and finish it! O..my goodnes….it really is awesome when you see it! My best friend and Hubby are receiving for Christmas !! from us!! Great projet..wee bit time consuming but great satisfaction!!

16. Georgia says:

This is beautiful! Love it!

17. Liv says:

I was totally inspired… but living in vietnam I don’t have access to the same array of baubles… plus it’s march… but I had a go… here are a few wreaths I made earlier… including my attempt at one inspired by the fabulous tutorial above!

18. Jennifer says:

Love this! Working on my own version of this right now. Do you put ornaments on both side of the wreath? Thanks!