before & after: matthew’s dining room

matthew_before
this before & after comes from interior designer matthew lanphier in los angeles. he worked on this budget dining room makeover in chicago, focusing on keeping things as affordable as possible. matthew removed the wallpaper, repainted the walls, reupholstered chairs in sunbrella fabric (to prevent fading from the sunny windows), and then redid the chairs by sanding and spray painting them (professional refinishing wasn’t in the budget). matthew calls the new look “tailored, yet whimsical” and i love the way everything feels clean, fresh and modern. great work, matthew!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? click here to shoot me an email with your images!]

matthew_after

1. Merissa says:

I love this dining room!! May I ask what paint you used on the walls? I’m looking for that exact color for my bedroom!

2. Chrissy says:

That pop of white on the chairs is slick! I am going to have to find somewhere I can do that in my apartment!

3. chloe says:

I also love the wall color. Can we find out what color he used?

4. dinah says:

i love those chairs! the white feels like icing :)

5. Elie's Papel says:

This is what I call a real makeover. The end result is fantastic and is modern but not cold…Also, I love the fact that all the furniture was reused which is a very environmetal thing to do… Congrats!!!

6. Elie's Papel says:

This is what I call a real makeover. The end result is fantastic and is modern but not cold…Also, I love the fact that all the furniture was reused which is a very environmental thing to do… Congrats!!!

7. Jane says:

love your before and afters!

8. Teresa says:

Luscious! What an amazingly gifted designer. I’m over the moon just looking at his website. Thanks for sharing!

9. That room is fine work!

That is the look for 2010

I love design that takes existing vintage and refashions it. BRAVO

10. Cat says:

No one would know it was the same room and furniture. Mr Lanphier is SERIOUSLY talented and inspirational. Great job and thanks for sharing – this is what d*s is all about for me!

11. jo says:

that before picture~ wowzers. hehe. awesome job with that! i love the paint color, and lamp shade/ chandelier <3

12. jo says:

that before picture~ wowzers. hehe. awesome job with that! i love the paint color, and lamp shade/ chandelier .

13. Marie says:

Amazing makeover… I love the after color and the way he re-used the existing elements. That said, as much as I *don’t* like the before, presumably it reflected the tastes of the folks living there? I wonder if they’ve experienced a complete personality change! ;)

14. Lindsay says:

Amazing! I love the chairs…they look like they were dipped in paint! Awesome….

15. StacyStyle says:

The wall color is amazing. I rarely see that color in a dining room, but it looks so fresh here!

16. wardrobes says:

look amazing chair color nice WOW! Fantastic!

17. Alli Cox says:

Wow! What a difference! I feel inspired now!

18. Natacha Watson says:

Wow! I love the chairs! I’m currently thinking about redoing my living-room and I was looking for ideas to replace my chairs. This is perfect! I’m not very fond of the rest of the living-room though. I’ve found some great ideas on this website: http://www.archiexpo.com/tab/living-room.html