before & after: david’s shed + ibabe’s bathroom

davidbefore
today’s first before & after belongs to david van alphen. inspired by modern shed, david decided to build his own version for $2500 (a $7500 difference!). now he has a place to hang out that’s weather-proof and cool. click here to see more photos of the process- great work, david!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? click here to shoot me an email with your images!]

davidduring
davidafter

CLICK HERE to see ibabe’s bathroom makeover after the jump!

ibabe_before
next up- a small space bathroom makeover from ibabe in spain. i love the tiles in the bathroom- great work, ibabe!

ibabe_after

1. How sad! Where was the little barn?

2. greybreaks says:

great renos. like the tiles in the bath as well. they look like they’re from heath ceramics.

3. diana says:

ow, I appreciate all the work david put into it – and it turned out great – but still the old barn was not bad either…

4. Sarah says:

I must need more coffee. I initially thought that the caption “david’s shed + ibabe’s bathroom” meant ibabe was using the shed for a bathroom.

5. wow i’ve never seen these sheds before! i couldn’t bookmark the website fast enough! i want one! you should do a giveaway!

6. Sera says:

i feel quite sad for the little barn :( it was sweet!

7. Both are great redos. I have one of those little barn sheds in my backyard and it’s falling apart. I love that David had the vision to see his shed as something more.

8. I was sad to have to demolish the old barn. It had a lot of character to it. Unfortunately, it was rotting and falling apart. I also needed the extra room to work. I have a small house with two little boys which makes it very difficult to get any work done. I like to think there is some barn heaven somewhere where he is resting peacefully.

9. li says:

would love to see pictures of the interior of the new shed! great work

10. li says:

oh sorry…just saw the flickr link!

11. Piper says:

Wow, the shed is so cool + modern. LOVE the tile – where did you get it?

12. dk says:

David – are the horizontal lines just painted stripes?

13. holly says:

WOW! that shed looks phenomenal. guess we can’t really call it a shed anymore, can we?

great work!!

14. To save on cost, I just routed the lines on the plywood (3/8″) and painted in between the faux-planks.

15. mila says:

where is the shed door from?

16. stacey says:

your shed is amazing, David! really inspiring

17. Wow. Thank you everybody. The door was from Menards. I want to say it was on sale for $200-250??

18. Vicki says:

I am David’s lucky wife. I work from home part of the time and it is a great, quiet space (except for the hum of the space heater!)

19. tandy says:

Why are so many people upset about tearing down the old shed? It was not a “little barn” with “character”. It was a rotting particle board home depot (or the like) kit shed, probably less than 20 years old.

20. melissa says:

I really love you’re new studio David! So neat, clean and modern.

21. Karen says:

These are both fantastic. Love the tile in that bathroom and the modern shed on a budget is so inspiring! I’ve also been looking at this design for my yard and it’s a relief to see it can be done for a few thousand.

22. Karen says:

Also, amen to tearing down the old shed. Maybe it was cute when it was new, but you found a much more attractive and productive use for the space. Well done.

23. Elizabeth says:

I LOVE it! My husband just informed me that a second one of his friends is building a man-room-shed. I shut him down. But now….wow….you think he would build me one instead? I want one like David’s!

24. s says:

the shed is very nice but isn’t it more ‘tear down and build a new’ than ‘before and after”??

25. Elizabeth- My wife was totally against it also thinking that she would never see me again but now she loves it. She spends just as much time in there as I do. When she works from home she take her conference calls in there so there are no screaming kids in the background. The only rule of the new studio is NO KIDS ALLOWED!!

26. Erin says:

I dream of doing this… I, too, work from a home office in a tiny little mid century ranch house, and also have two little boys wreaking havoc all around me. Oh, to have a quiet place for a phone call with a client! I’m so jealous!

27. jo! says:

The leaves on the doorstep make it perfect!

28. Katy says:

Oh man, I hope they kept the toilet with the elevated tank! I’d LOVE to have a toilet like that. ;)

29. aimee says:

all i can say is FABULOUS!!!!!!! i love, love, love it! i would die to have this in MY backyard. As for the rottten’ red barn, good riddance!