yellena james + schoolhouse electric

schyel
during one of my crazy all-nighters from this weekend (a book deadline= no sleep) i found myself on the schoolhouse electric co. site sourcing a piece for one of the home tours. when i saw these beautiful illustrated pieces i wondered who they were by and wrote a note to check on it later. so i was thrilled to hear from artist yellena james this week because she’s the artist behind that series!

yellena2
yellena recently finished this collaborative project with schoolhouse electric co. as part of their first ever “artist series” collection. yellena’s shade designs, stretto and aria, come in various colors and sizes and put such a nice spin on school house’s beautiful vintage style pieces.

yellena1
you can check out yellena’s pieces, as well as schoolhouses’ full collection, online right here. thanks, yellena!

1. these are absolutely stunning! reminiscent of both jelly fish and amoebas. so lovely!

2. Jamie says:

I’m a big fan of Yellena’s work. (I purchased some of her prints from her etsy site.) I recognized her style right away. Beautiful light fixtures =)

3. visualingual says:

Wow, just wow. These are gorgeous; what a find!

4. denise says:

if you were on the site why would you wonder who it was by if the description page states who the artist is? and yes, we do understand that you have written a manuscript, we are constantly reminded everday.

1. grace says:

denise, bringing the friday snark!

i didn’t see her name on the site because i was sourcing a different style. her piece caught my eye on the homepage and then i had to move on to… write the d*S manuscript. oh no- i said it again!

grace

5. Kyle says:

I really like them. They all look so classy and at the same time modern, I don’t even know how to describe them.

6. KimJ says:

OH. MY. GOSH! I am in loooove with Yellena AND Schoolhouse! I cannot believe my eyes right now. Wow. These are beautiful, beautiful! I have some prints from Yellena from Etsy and enjoy looking at them everyday!

7. Sprout says:

Oh my! I need these!

8. CrowNology says:

I’ve always loved her work. Coveted. But these are so beautiful… Imagine the light coming through the colours she uses? Perfection.

9. Deb says:

Grace! What a great find! I love schoolhouse and have been thinking about buying a piece from them. Now I KNOW I want to buy a piece from them and which piece-yay! Now how’s that book coming along? We all (well about 99% of us) want to know MORE :). As Peter Pan says “Think happy thoughts” there’s always one in the group…

10. cheri says:

No snark necessary really. Who cares how you found them? The fixtures are fantastic . This kind of stuff is exactly why i check this site on a daily basis and can’t wait to check out the book too!

11. darby says:

oh snap. get ’em grace lol. hilarious.

these are awesome! i wanna replace every light in my house.

12. Esther says:

I just recently found out about Yellena, and I’m so in love with her work. This is amazing, thanks for the great post!

13. parisienish says:

WOW… wow. Schoolhouse Electric was already awesome.

14. jennifer g says:

These are really beautiful and suddenly I”m coveting–just another reason why we all come to this site–even the (very few) snarksters.

15. Stunning! I’ve loved Schoolhouse Electric for years now and these add a totally new dimension to timeless style! Thanks for sharing, Mandy

16. Libby says:

Love! My new house needs a schoolhouse light someplace it just must has one!

17. anne marie says:

applause for good sportmanship on your diplomatic response, grace. ;)

schoolhouse electric’s lamps are lovely! i’m so pleased at the selection of retro lighting these days – check out http://www.rejuvenation.com/ for more ‘historical-inspiration’ lighting and hardware too…

18. Yellena says:

Thank you Grace for the lovely post!! =)

19. Karen says:

I think these are really pretty. Very unique!

20. Jillian says:

These are so awesome. I love the clean lines of Schoolhouse pieces, but this artwork takes it to a whole new level. Someday I will have a place for that last light that you featured.

21. susan says:

thank you for settling the lighting problem in my kitchen grace! yea! yellena! these are perfect.

22. Michelle says:

Thank you for the post Grace. It was an amazing honor and joy to work with Yellena on this project. She is truly the sweetest, most down to earth and talented artist anyone could meet. btw congrats on the Lonny story– loved it! : ) With Gratitude, Schoolhouse Electric Co.

23. deanna says:

Wow! These shades are just beautiful. I think I need one!

Thank you.

24. Anna @ D16 says:

I am a HUGE fan of both Yellena’s work and Schoolhouse Electric’s fixture (and both feature prominently in my house), so this is a really special treat.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Grace. I’ve had a crazy couple of weeks, and this would have have passed me by otherwise.

(And thanks to Denise for giving me a good eye-roll. Heh.)

25. What a lovely update to such classic styles. Thanks for the reminder to check out Schoolhouse Electric Co. more often!

26. As the wife of the Schoolhouse Electric Production Manager I admit to being just a little biased, but I have to say their lights are fabulous!

I saw the first samples of these shades months ago and have been eagerly awaiting their arrival. Luckily we have just the place for a couple in our house. The only trouble is going to be deciding which color to get!

27. Great post! I just bought some school house electric lights for my house, but my husband hasn’t had time to hang them yet. I’m dying to see them in place! These new designs are simply stunning. I went with the plain shades, but the styles you highlighted would be amazing in the right space.

28. Megan says:

I also love how everything is American made. Unfortunately that’s too rare these days…

29. palindrome says:

Oh no! I just bought a pair of lights for my house, but I would have held off if I’d known these were going to pop up on the Schoolhouse Electric site. I love their lighting. Hmm, maybe I can order some of Yellena’s shades to swap out seasonally.

30. Jenny says:

These are beautiful fixtures from Yellena! I broke one of the period fixtures in my apartment and Schoolhouse Electric in Portland was very helpful in finding me a replacement.

31. Simone says:

Ooo yum! I wonder if they would look nice in a new house… mmmm…

32. These are really beautiful. The more modern designs on the glass look beautiful with the vintage fixtures! Great find!

33. Rebecca says:

love these! thanks for sharing.

34. Lauren says:

Wow! Those are absolutely amazing! I’ve always loved Yellena’s work and think it’s great that she has moved into the realm of 3D art with this collaboration. Those lampshades are stunning.

35. Shashi says:

I have had an eye on this for a while. so pretty.

36. I so love Yellena’s work. What a great collaboration. Thank you for sharing.

37. Illustrations are such a good way to vamp up any object. These look very glamorous!

38. Karen says:

I love Yellena! As other posters stated above, I too have some of her work from her Etsy site, and recognized her designs right away. She has such a distinct style. Good for her for branching out to lighting. COOL!

39. jenny says:

thanks so much for this post! i have been looking for cool yet affordable lampshades and these are PERFECT! viva design sponge!!

40. FANTASTIC!!!