we like it wild: the hanging gardens of bernal heights

door
After posting pics a few weeks ago from Lauren’s garden, we had a feeling that readers would be interested in the hanging plants she had on display in her backyard. Turns out Lauren crocheted the clever containers herself, and she’s given us an easy to follow pattern so readers can create their own hanging gardens.

whites
She made a bunch of the crocheted plant cozies, all of varying size and color, and let us borrow a big handful to play with. We filled them with flowers (naturally), but the possibilities are endless. Pick a little posy and hang it on a friend’s front door- they’ll get a pleasant surprise when they arrive home from work. Put a cluster on a hook in the kitchen and they’d be a pretty way to store and display fresh herbs from the farmer’s market.

These little knits would make great wintertime decorations, and possibly even stocking alternatives. Imagine a candy-colored row filled with goodies hanging from your mantle. So get out your crochet hooks and get cracking. (If you’re not so deft with your hooks, Lauren’s got some you can buy at her Etsy shop, too.)

CLICK HERE for the full post after the jump!

helper
Crochet pattern for hanging plant cozy/container pouch

This pattern is for a medium/smallish container, it should fit a container about the size of a soup can or a pint size mason jar or a 4” flower pot. It’s a great beginner pattern for folks that want to branch in to three-dimensional crochet. More seasoned stitchers can alter the pattern by changing colors, using different size hooks for a tighter or looser weave, adding double crochet or other stitches throughout the rows that make up the sides, or adjusting the size of the base and sides to accommodate larger and smaller vessels. The only limit is your imagination. Have fun!

You will need two hooks, starting with an 11.5mm/P and switching to a 5mm/H at step 6.

Start by making the base:

1. Loop yarn around 2 fingers.

2. 6 single crochet into loop.

3. Pull yarn end to tighten the loop.

step3
step3a

4. 1 Single crochet in first single crochet, 2 single crochet in second single crochet, repeat 14 times. 1 single crochet in the next single crochet. This should be 21 stitches. At this point you should have a flat circle that is a little over 3” in diameter.

Congrats! You just finished the most complicated part! Here on out is a piece of cake!

Next make the sides:

5. Single crochet in 21 stitches. Repeat for 8 rows. You may want to place a mark at the start of the first row.

step5

6. Switch to smaller hook.

7. 2 single crochet in each single crochet. Mark at stitch 21 and continue to end. You should now have 42 stitches.

At this point, you could stop if you wanted to make a cozy rather than a hanging pouch. I use one with a mason jar to carry hot tea on the go. You could also just use them for decoration, to spruce up a vase or give a little life to the standard issue pen and pencil cup on your work desk.

steps
Finish by making the hangers:

8. Single crochet into the first stitch, start chain

9. Chain 160 stitches, mark at stitch 80

step9

10. Starting at the middle stitch (marked at 21 in step 7), single crochet 8 stitches

11. Chain 80

12. Find middle of first chain (marked at 80 in step 9) single crochet into middle stitch

13. Chain 10, fold over to make a loop, single crochet through the last single crochet you just made which is cinching all the hanging straps together.

14. Chain 80

15. Count 8 stitches back from where the first chain started, single crochet into this stitch (Your loops will be joined at stitches 1, 9, 22, and 30.)

16. Single crochet backwards for 8 stitches to meet the initial chain.

17. Tie off. Voila!

all
colors

1. Those are really cool—what a creative way to make a little mobile garden!

2. Summer says:

Sheesh, reason 12583 I need to relearn to crochet!

3. Anjuli says:

I love this! So easy yet adds so much character! This just might convince me to get back into crochet… :)

4. Sandra says:

What a good idea!
    I´ll try to make this project; it looks easy and beautiful♥

5. so cute! i’m definitely going to try this, thanks!

6. Dallas Shaw says:

LOVE these! I cant crochet- but I can shop

7. clo says:

i love it ! i just made a grey one :-) I’ll show it tomorow
    thanks a lot

8. melody says:

i am learning to crochet as i type…as soon as possible i am going to make these! they will look AAMMMAAZIINGGG hanging in our front windows! thanks for posting!

9. SandyGallia says:

wow I love crochet and Im learning, they look beautiful, i’ll make one tomorrow =DDDD

10. Emma Wallace says:

Hooray! Something for us crocheters! I see so many things for the knitting ladies. Thank you for posting this adorable project!

11. What a clever idea! The flowers all look lovely hanging up like that.

12. duermevela says:

that’s a really different thing!
    it’s a beautiful idea

13. Ysa says:

wow~ cool man !! it’s so sweet and warm ..LOVE it

14. Chelsea says:

What a great idea, I love it. Note to self: learn to crochet!

15. Wonderful idea – I like the idea of hanging a few in the bathroom with fresh flowers. A vase always seems a little out of place but these are cute enough!

16. Megan Leone says:

These are adorable! Would be so fun to secretly leave these on a friend’s door. Thank you for sharing!

17. Lauren says:

so glad you like ‘em! if anyone has trouble with the pattern, don’t hesitate to drop me a line!
    shout out to my mom who taught me how to crochet (her patience is unmatched, i was a die hard knitter that took three years to get past making a chain) and helped me edit this pattern. love you, mom!

18. Novi says:

Yay! Crochet and flowers, what a beautiful combination for hanging pretty lovelies!

19. Lynne says:

So cute.
    You could also use, instead of yarn,
    colorful plastic bags cut into thin strips. They’d be green AND waterproof!

20. Veronica says:

Hi Lauren
    Loved reading about your projects and looking at the photos of your amazing floral arrangements. Just wondering, there was a photo of the hanging crochet baskets hanging outside on lattice. Was this mostly for decorative purposes for the shoot or have you found that the crochet holders can work as an outside alternative for hanging basket pot plants. I love the idea and would even be willing to learn how to crochet but wanted your opionion about how sturdy/strong they were before I embarked on the project. Thanks V

21. Maureen says:

Broke my foot two days ago, so home for awhile and not too mobile. Not much of a crafty person, but can crochet a bit, so this looks perfect for me. Thanks for posting.

22. Nicole says:

I love these! I’m going to have to sharpen my crocheting skills, they’re pretty basic.

I really like the bracelet you’re wearing. Did you make it? It looks like macramé, but I could be wrong.

23. kaarina says:

I love the idea of a wall of these with plants in them- like some chocolate or cinnamon mint! A growing wall of handmade hangers would be a different way of doing a wooly pocket-

24. Jessica says:

ok, so i have my yarn and hook. i know how to do chains but can’t figure out the first step where i’m supposed to loop around my fingers and crochet into the loop. is there a video of this somewhere or an image of the very first step?

25. Ginger says:

Thank you so much for putting this pattern & idea for free on here! I just learned to crochet and this was easy enough for me to make.