we like it wild: birch bark basket

holding
This week we’ll continue with the theme of hanging containers and share a simple flower girl’s basket we created for an upcoming event. Birch bark tubes are a popular way to add a little rustic beauty to a DIY wedding reception, so we thought it would be fun to show you how to incorporate them into your ceremony flowers too. This ribbon-handle basket could be used to hold petals or fall leaves for the little gal to toss at an autumn ceremony or a sweet posy for her to hold as she walks down the aisle.

CLICK HERE for the full post after the jump!

basket

Materials:

Birch bark tube (check with your local florist, or available in our shop. Make sure to use birch bark that is responsibly harvested- please do not steal bark from live trees!)
Square of felt or fabric
Ribbon
Slightly tapered empty plastic container
Hot glue
Box cutter or utility knife
Scissors
Hole punch

1. CAREFULLY cut birch tube to desired height with a box cutter or utility knife.

2. Trim ends with floral snips or scissors to make edge nice and even.

3. Place plastic container inside birch tube and make a cut mark at the point where the container tapers out and is too large to fit inside.

4. Remove container and trim the top off at the cut line. This will allow the container to fit snugly inside the tube.

5. Trim a square of fabric so that when the corners are folded up around the container there is about an inch extra hanging off.

6. Put a bead of hot glue along the bottom edge of the container and press down onto the center of the fabric.

7. Put some more glue on the lower corners and fold up to attach to the sides of the container.

8. Place the fabric-covered container into the birch tube and press down evenly until the bottom is level. You may need to make a small slit in the plastic if the fabric is bulky to get it all the way in. You will now have a clean looking fabric bottom to your birch tube.

9. Next, glue the overhanging corners to the inside of the birch to secure the container in place.

10. Now you’ll want to punch a small hole at least a half inch from the top of the tube. Be sure the hole is not too close to the top or the birch might crack. You can reinforce the top of the tube with a piece of duct tape for safety against splitting. Make a second hole directly across from the first. If the holes are uneven the basket will not hang straight.

11. Tie a large knot in your selected ribbon and pull the un-knotted end through one of the holes (so the knot is on the inside). Adjust ribbon to desired length and push through the second hole. Put a knot in the end and secure to the inside of the birch with glue. We also attached a second small bow to the ribbon handle.

12. Place a small piece of wet floral foam inside and get to arranging! You’ll want to be aware of where the ribbon handle is- any flowers placed right next to it will get a little roughed up. We made our arrangement so the blooms flowed out around the sides of the ribbon and didn’t get crushed when the handle was held up.

1. Beth says:

Please be careful suggesting crafts like this. A lot of the birch trees near our house in Vermont have been stripped of their bark, presumably for craft projects.

2. That is so beautiful. I love the look of birch bark. What a wonderful project. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. eve says:

this is wonderful! I especially like the striped ribbon

4. Lisa says:

Such a great idea! These are so adorable!
    Now I just have to find a birch tree :)

5. Pretty, I love birch. Also love your shirt, stripes!

6. Oh, these baskets are just darling. I must go along with Beth’s caution. Here in northern Minnesota we also have many birch trees and try to dissuade people from peeling the bark. Sometimes, though, pieces can be found on the ground.

7. Jenny says:

Beth and All about Food – I totally agree. I checked out the shop’s website and it says that all of their bark is harvested in Canada from trees that have fallen from storms and lightning. Hopefully most florists follow similar procedures :)

8. Melissa says:

So sweet. I love the clean look of the birch, and the brilliant flowers inside.

9. Ginger says:

Where did you get that shirt?!? I’ve been coveting one just like it for months with no luck!

10. Angelena says:

A really lovely idea-i wonder if i could cover a flower pot to keep indoors? The floral arrangement you choose is superb! Thank you for sharing your inspiring ideas!

11. I love the sweet posey you chose to show in the vessel and also the backdrop of that darling striped shirt! Did you ever think your top would get so much attention in this post? Good times.

12. Sam says:

I agree with Beth. Although responsible birch bark may be available online, people are likely to strip trees for their projects for a variety of reasons. Is there a knockoff version of birch bark available ? I’m thinking one made from handmade paper, for example, would have a good tooth and feel to it.

13. mimmi says:

Höganäs pick up mug for sale!

14. What a beautiful Birch Bark Basket. I would definitely use something like that in my design work. It’s so pretty and delicate I can see it in so many situations. I also like the ideas put forward by commenter Sam – handmade paper would, indeed make a wonderful alternative to Birch Bark.

15. Melissa says:

I love the birch bark basket but I also love the shirt the woman is wearing! Any way to find out where it’s from???

16. Love these earthy birch baskets with either a wildflower bouquet or a super sweet, florist-styled arrangement.

Versatile!

17. This is such a sweet project. I am definitely going to give this one a go myself – providing I can find a sustainable UK supplier. It’s a great way to bring the outdoors indoors – which is something I love to do in our home . Kinda makes me wish I could get married all over again just to have my little flowergirls carry them down the aisle!

18. StudioChoo says:

Hi, everyone. Thanks for all the great comments about my shirt! It’s actually from Old Navy, I bought it there about 4 months ago. I don’t think they have the one I was wearing anymore, but they do have a lot of other cute striped shirts right now.

Good luck!

19. Debbie from NY says:

I have just now found your site, it’s wonderful. This project is fantastic. I’ve always loved Birch, I find a lot of on the ground in my area. Thank you for such a great project. I’ve been doing Birch projects since 2nd Grade and I’m 59 yrs. old, but I’ve never seen one like this. It’s Great! Thank you so much for sharing.

20. Dana says:

That is so darling, flowers in a basket are great ideas

21. SO cute! These would be great for bridesmaids’ flowers…

22. This looks like a great craft project. The final product is really impressive.