sneak peek: ombline de kersabiec

by

maisonbd1
over the past few months, you may have noticed that many of my sneak peek introductions have involved a discussion of color.  for me it was subconscious, but i must admit that this semester i’ve been taking a class on color as communication in marketing and art, making me hyper aware of the color around me.  today i’m so excited to introduce the parisian home of stylist, textile designer and illustrator, ombline de kersabiec of les norvégiennes and zero’in.  she’s french and happens to be the neighbor and friend of sandrine place (check out her amazing home here in case you missed the first time!).  ombline’s home is a beautiful example, in my mind, of how the french, while classic and elegant, are also very forward thinking in terms of color and design. in her own work – and home – she loves juggling printed color and balancing them with form and material, while constantly trying new things, taking risks and looking to challenge herself.  i hope you enjoy this peek as much as we did! don’t miss more gorgeous views of ombline’s home right here! {thanks, ombline!} -anne

{photos by rebecka oftedal}

[above: The entrance with its plain raw iron stairs. The radiators are raw iron copies of those to be found in old factories. A door at the back painted “fluo” [florescent yellow-green] is a link with all the other touches of fluo in the house.]

maisonbd2
Opposite the kitchen an open fire where one could nearly burn a whole tree, as it is so wide. Made of raw iron is a sharp contrast to the softness of the oak wooden floor. Spending hours, just watching the fire, in winter is the best place to have ever lasting discussions about how better the world could be, and just little fluo touch with the cushions from « les norvégiennes ».

maisonbd3
The kitchen, the sitting room and the dining room are all one, but the kitchen is the coloured spot of the room, all lined up in a harmony of blue with a fluo touch for the fridge. The everyday utilities hang from a line. All items are souvenirs, each one has a story of its one.

maisonbd4
In the kitchen a large table with oak benches on each side, perfect for a dinner with 10 friends and also for a table for two. The set of tablemats and the cloth are customized with an application from « les norvégiennes ». I brought back the dishes from a flea market in Danemark, the glasses comes from India and the jug from a South of France flea market.

maisonbd5
The wooden floor is continuous in the sitting room, the bathroom and the spare bedroom, so that  when the sliding doors are open its just a very large room all together. It’s very pleasant to have a bath with a fire burning near it.

CLICK HERE for the test of Ombline’s sneak peek after the jump!

maisonbd6

Opposite the bath an old holiday camp washbasin it could easily become as well as a baby’s bath tub !

maisonbd7

The bathroom , when I found this bath with its flowery feet in a boot sale I fell in love and I just painted it. For the curtains I used old linen sheets from my grand mother. I dyed them and I sewed them with crocheted doilies.

maisonbd8

An old factory washbasin found in a boot sale is perfect to brush one’s teeth.

maisonbd9

A niche above the toilets has been turned into a small temple dedicated to buffalos with an application from « les norvégiennes ».

maisonbd10

The Spare bedroom opens on the sitting room, I really like the open space, a large row iron and glass sliding door close too save intimacy. Old holiday camp beds were painted in fluo.

maisonbd11

I found this hifi set in a second hand shop, I really like his strict and sober line.

maisonbd12

My bedroom, I wanted a light shelf for books, so I took a slate roof tile and hung it with cables. I like its fragility.

maisonbd13

A small and quiet reading area in my bedroom. I enjoy mixing the prints, I found very different ones and I just mixed them, I silk-screened some of them in my Atelier [studio]. The lamp comes from a boot sale and I painted it.

1. Eva says:

I agree totally with the above and was also annoyed by the ‘not kidfriendly’ commenting. I mean, who says they have any? The stairs are beautiful and light. I enjoyed this sneak preview a lot, maybe the best ever!

2. Beth says:

Thank you Grace for saying that. People really do need credit children with some intelligence, if they live in a hazard free life how are the meant to learn.

3. I love the way she painted her walls and how she uses different colours even for one room. Her combination of light beige and mercury blue in the bathroom or beige and greyish pink with green in the sleeping room is so beautiful – and of course her bright prints-just a wonderful flat!

4. mllep says:

gaaaaahhh – so fabulous!!! i love the colors and that killer fireplace. very inspirational.

5. Jacqui says:

That hanging tile with books — inspirational!

6. Kate says:

holy cow. this home is RIDICULOUS!!! love the innovative artfulness of this space.

7. Virginie says:

Hello. I like this place !! I would found a lamp like there is in the kitchen and the bedroom. Where I can found this type of lamp with bulb ??
    Thanks

8. Ruth Ann Anderson says:

I am going to copy the hanging book shelf. I want my books to go with us on our big move..we -ARE suppose to down size..my books are my comfort blanket …can not leave them. Has anyone else had this “problem”. H E L P

This has been the best article I have read In a long time!

9. SO DREAMY! I just love that kitchen bar with all of the stuff hanging!

10. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp says:

I just love the neon green camp beds. Great pop of color, really. But my favorite part of this abode has to be the kitchen with its clever riot of colored pots, and pans hanging on a rod across the wall. Great idea, especially since so many of us have pots and pans that won’t match ever, not now, not ever in this lifetime. Everything is within reach too. Same idea could work with pot holders too, now that I think about it. I’d go with a theme: crochet or hand-knit pot holders from kitchens past, gathered from thrift shops hither and yon.