sneak peek: liane tyrrel of enhabiten

by

enhabiten1
as soon as we saw liane tyrrel’s beautiful pillows in her etsy shop, enabiten, we knew we had to see inside her home. it’s a three story barn in new hampshire, with the oldest part built in the mid 1800s that liane describes as a humble home architecturally and big and rambling with 13 rooms. nine years later, most of the home has been furnished with things given, vintage and thifted. as for  style as liane and friends use “modern folk” or “rustic minimalism” which i think both do justice to the beautiful space. click here for additional, full-sized images, and don’t miss liane’s shop here. {thanks, liane!} -anne

[above: This is the view from the front hallway of the cape into the living room. The yellow painted tole lamp was a yard sale find. The small 1950s Formica table by the sofa was purchased off etsy. The wooden bench against the far wall is an antique buggy seat. The big bag of sticks by the door is kindling collected in the yard for the woodstove in my studio!]

enhabiten2
I found this great old shelf in our barn. I pried it off the wall, scrubbed it down and hung it in my living room. It holds a rotating collection of my thrift and antique shop finds and I sometimes use it for shop images of my pillows. This pillow is part of a new line where I’m exploring early American stenciling. I’ve been buying up all the books on folk art and itinerant stencil work I can find in used book shops. You know when you discover you love something and looking at images of that thing makes your head explode with pleasure. D*S readers, I know you know what I mean!

enhabiten3
Here’s a part of our dining room which is in the ell part of the house. This section of the home dates to about 1930s-1940s. This corner holds several great old finds and good deals. The typewriter table was a $1 yard sale find (it was rusty but I did a quick sanding and bought a can of metallic spray paint and it turned out perfect), the typewriter itself was a total steal at an antiques shop at $45 (it’s in perfect condition), and the plates on the wall were found at my town’s transfer station swap shop! Do you have one of those? It’s one of my favorite places to shop for free!

CLICK HERE for the rest of Liane’s sneak peek after the jump!

enhabiten4

This is a corner of my studio. I’ve been experimenting with stenciling on the wall. The paper garland behind my work table is from royalbuffet.etsy.com and the small print propped up on the wainscoting is called “From the Dream Book Nr. 6” by DearDodo.etsy.com.

enhabiten5

This is our living room. The retro style sofa is made by Norwalk Furniture and I love it. We bought the hand-painted trunk in Portsmouth NH at a shop called European Home. The corner chair by the trunk is a really old piece of furniture we think dates to the 18th century. I actually bought it for $25 (gasp). The portrait above the sofa is by my son, Ethan, who is a student at Massachusetts College of Art.

enhabiten6

Our dining room table was handmade in Dunbarton, NH. It’s a Queen Anne style reproduction called the Porringer Table. The small stuffed rabbit on our book shelf is made by Paulina of Lemmikkiapina.etsy.com. She has a way with symbolism and little hand-stitches that make me swoon. The glass vase on the green cabinet in the corner was a wedding gift for my Great Grandmother, Elsie Englehart, back in the 1920s. She was very special to me the first eleven years of my life.

enhabiten7

The hutch in my kitchen was a piece of furniture from my husband’s childhood home. The small trestle-style table was bought back during our dirt-poor graduate school days for $50 and refinished by my husband.

1. Katy Elliott says:

I love her home and her pillows!

2. kate says:

Sweet home.
    She has a great eye for antique and vintage. Her pillows are quite lovely too!

3. Naomi says:

A really beautiful and serene home. I love every room.

4. susan says:

oh she is so sweet – and a wonderful crafter! love her home.

5. Jessica says:

What is she growing in the large metal bucket by the window? I love it. Is it lavendar?

6. Lovely work Liane. I look forward to checking out your etsy shop. Ain’t New England grand? I live next door in the Green Mountains, and the weather today is heaven-on-earth. What a beautiful home you have made.
    All the best,
    Michaela

7. Michelle says:

so New England!!!

8. Valentina says:

Beautiful. *LOVE* the calm feeling :)

9. Jill says:

This is my idea of ‘home’…so unpretentious and yet so very well put together. Beautiful and welcoming. Love love love it!

10. libby says:

Lovely. The wide plank wood floors in the living room are glorious.

11. Gorgeous! I’ve been a fan of her etsy shop since it opened. And I’m so glad to see inside her home.

12. Tina says:

I love your home.

13. Alexis says:

I love your sofa! It is exactly what I have been looking for. Where did you get it?

14. what is that cabinet in the dining room???

yowza liane, gorgeous!

15. It’s no surprise that Liane’s home is equally as stunning as her work! Thank you for sharing. Cheers, Mandy

16. Jennifer says:

Very Cool…

17. Oh, how incredibly warm, lovely and beautiful! I adore Liane and her work and am not surprised to see that her home is so unique, filled with warmth,love and taste. Just gorgeous hun! Congrats!
    xo
    Melis

18. I own one of her lovely pillows and am so happy to sneak into her own home. Simply divine!

19. I love it! The colours are so delicate and cleverly used.

20. Love it! Liane, can you tell me where to find a rug like the one in your dinning room? Please!?

21. When can I move in! Liane is a true artist in everything that she does! Thanks for giving us a little peak!!

22. Liane says:

Hi Everybody! Thanks for looking. It’s such a pleasure to be on d*s.
    Jessica- The plant in my kitchen is a big rosemary I’ve had for a few years. I bought it little and plant it outside in the summer, bring it in in winter.
    Alexis-The sofa was made by “norwalk furniture”. You can google that..I didn’t see my exact sofa but I did see some similar styles. Or try another site like “room and board”. They have a billion sofas and some similar styles.
    my trampoline-The green cabinet is from an antique shop in antrim, nh. I’m friendly with the owner and he gave it to me for $60. It’s more of a “junktique” but I love the color and drawer pulls.
    Tiny Homestead- The runner in the dining room came from a friend who travels to Afghanistan and she brought it back with her.

23. Silvia says:

Gorgeous the floor in the living room!…In what kind of wood it has been made?
    Is a very nice home.

24. amanda says:

Your “see full images ‘here'” is not encoded… please amend so we can see more on flickr!!

1. grace says:

sorry about that- fixed now :)

25. Karen says:

I love those wood floors!

26. I love the warmth of the home…the furniture pieces…just love it!!

27. jules says:

so peaceful and lovely! I have one question about your rosemary, do you have any tips for bringing it in over the winter, I’ve killed a few by doing that…lovely home, lovely pillows!

28. Lisa says:

Lianne your house and shop Enhabiten are a daily inspiration to me. Thank you for giving me more peeks into your beautiful world. Lisa

29. Love that Liane sees object as ways to share meaningful stories of family and history.

30. Janice says:

Liane’s crafts are as meticulous and cozy as her home. I own two of her pieces and wish I had more. Liane is an extraordinary artist and sweet, sweet person. Check out her etsy shop enhabiten, and she has a new vintage shop, too. Congrats on the d*s sneak peek, Liane. Janice/JannyBug

31. Malia says:

What is a transfer station swap shop? The swap shop part is pretty obvious… Do you mean a train station?

32. Karen says:

the lamp is so gorgeous!

But I hate that I can’t just walk into IKEA and buy one.

33. Nativeson71 says:

Great house….I wanted to point out the yellow floor lamp in the family room. My mom has this same floor lamp but in a bone or ivory base color and the toile design is a dark brown or black. She bought it new from Ethan Allen or some where in 1970 or ’71. I should take a pic of it and email it to you. (just thought you may find this a fun fact) Thanks.

34. Simple yet elegant. Everything looks very “together”.

35. Valerie says:

Liane, thanks for letting us sneak a peek at your lovely home! The corner spot of your studio is so inviting and cozy. So fun to
    see your stenciling too. I’m on my way to your shop…thanks!

36. Liane says:

Hi again, it’s Liane. I wanted to answer the last few questions.

Silvia- the living room floors are made from wide white pine, probably cut locally back in the 1800s. We think the other floors in the house are southern yellow pine.

Jules- The rosemary does get a bit scraggily in the winter but perks right up once it’s outside again. Rosemary is fairly hardy so leave it outside as long as possible until a real frost hits. I haven’t had issues with bugs on it inside yet. I know that can be a problem with something that has been outdoors. I also don’t overwater. I feel the leaves and when they start to feel a bit dry I water. Once a week maybe.

Malia- AH, the swap shop:) The transfer station is the polite term for town dump and the swap shop is a little building there where people drop off useable things they don’t want to throw in the hopper/landfill. It’s like a free yard sale.

37. Kimberly says:

i prefer a modern home but both liane and her home are quite charming.

38. Keri says:

Enhabiten! Such a beautiful space, totally devoid of granite and stainless! So glad to see it.

39. Amelia says:

Liane! This is gorgeous. You have such a great eye.
    -Amelia
    xoxo

40. masha from russia says:

it has thу atmosphere of our russian house-musems of differeте writers, like chehov or pushkin.
    looks like: you can’t touch ho things. like it should be partitioned off by string, and there must be plate “don’t touch the museum pieces
    p.s. sry for my english

41. I too love how calm, real and soothing Lian’s home is… and her work is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing it here.

-maria