sneak peek: halligan norris smith and adam smith

halligan norris met her husband adam smith in her hometown of savannah, georgia while they were both studying at SCAD. after getting married in may of this year, halligan (a jewelry designer for john wind signature/maximal art, among loads of other things) and adam (a bike mechanic and talented renaissance man) decided to make their way up north make their “nest” in under the el [subway] in philadelphia, pa. we’re so pleased to share their light-filled home, full of wonderful charms and stories, today in a “sneak peek.” enjoy the peek below and click here for additional, full-sized images. {thanks, halligan and adam!}anne

[above: The living room is where Adam and I spend most of our time at home.  We are always on the go so we wanted this room to be A.C.A.P.  (As Comfy As Possible).  The room is filled with family treasures and some of our dearest friends’ artwork.]

Adam and I found this amazing chair at a Philly yard sale for next to nothing, and the deer hoof footstool is one of my prized treasures! The bottom artwork on the wall is a Pennsylvania Dutch Fraktur painted by Adam’s grandmother for us to commemorate our wedding day.

This mirror was my grandmother’s. It hung in her home for the extent of my mother’s whole life.  She was a special lady and I think of her every time I see it.  Hiding under the bell jar is a Jennifer Murphy wedding cake topper, one of my favorite artists.  It was a surprise from Adam on our wedding day!

Adam’s father, Bradford Smith, is a furniture maker. He made us the bed as a wedding gift. It’s the most beautiful and meaningful piece of furniture in our home.  The bars that make up the headboard are all vintage farm tool handles.  You can see more of his work at  The bedspread belonged to my grandfather.

Adam and I love to dumpster dive! We found one set of these chair arms to make parenthesis and our next-door neighbor found a perfectly matching set for us!

CLICK HERE for the rest of Halligan and Adam’s sneak peek after the jump!

Adam and I made this collage that mixes my collection of handmade vintage doll clothes and Adam’s collection of quirky old tools

Adam and I both have a soft spot for somewhat creepy critters, so we dedicated the loo wall to them.

Here my two favorite worn out jean jackets are hung on the armoire in our bedroom.

These shelves were our first collaborative project in married life.  On the wall above the stairs is a smattering of friends’ artwork and old ephemera.

In the dining room all the chairs are mismatched finds from yard sales and flea markets, except for the blue one which belonged to Adam’s parents when they were first married.

Cabinet of curiosities.  These built in cabinets are my favorite things about the house.

1. Betsy says:

I love it! It’s wonderful that that everything has a story and that they personalized their space like this! These are all things other cash strapped people could do to make their living spaces their “homes”. I’m particularly taken with the bed. What a wonderful Dad to give them such a special gift!

2. Lillian says:

Very nice. This is one of the homes that makes me LOVE d*s

3. duermevela says:

Wow, it’s an amazing house, I love it, full of colours and beautiful light

4. Nice play between the “x” motif on the fireplace mantle and the same motif in the carpet!

5. Jenna says:

Oh man, those cabinets are faaaaaaaantastic. I really love the mismatched chairs in the dining room! Also, did a very good job with the scattered photo frame look.

6. Susie says:

Your home looks like it is filled with so much love and humor and beauty… what a great way to start your married life. It’s beautiful! I love everything you’ve done — it makes me long for the days when I scoured thrift shops out of necessity and found some of my favorite and most treasured things that are still in my home today. The quirky art and bell jar displays are inspired!

7. Darlene Pierce says:

I am so proud of you! You and Adam have done a great job. Our Aub-muffin is grinning!! l, dsp

8. amazing bed… don’t think i’d ever get out of it!!

9. katie Ukrop says:

Love Halligan and her work. What a treat to see her wonderful home!

10. wow! what neat stuff you guys have. i don’t know how young/old you are but your collection of furniture, goods, decor, etc looks like it’s been acquired over years and years! thats what makes it so comfy, beautiful, and unique!

11. Kristina says:

Full on favorite, right here. And their wedding looks like a dream I once had.

12. ugh. i wish my fiance and i were half as cool as this! what a gorgeous home!

13. Shelley says:

Such a great home filled with many wonderful things!

14. alison says:

Awesome place! I really love that green couch. Can you share where you got it?

15. Most times white walls look so blah but here they work perfectly! Funky and fun–I really love the mix.

16. Stacy & Myra says:

Halli & Adam … AWESOME! What a fun place! You guys have done a GREAT job making it YOU! Happy Thanksgiving! Love you’all!

17. Silvia says:

You have a very nice home.
    I loved your bed, so I have seen the work of Adam´s father in his site.
    You have a such talented artist as father in law!

18. Milena Dekic says:

Wow! They have an absolutely stunning home. I love so many handmade and meaningful pieces. Thanks for sharing with us.

19. Melissa M. says:

I love your bed! I love that it’s partially made of old farm tools… so unique, and shows that a lot of care was put into its creation, which always makes a piece of furniture more important.

20. As always Adam and halli are super inspiring. Remember many late nights at fahm with you both.

21. Courtney says:

Wow, so beautiful and original. The bed and letters above are simply amazing.

22. Rebecca says:

Awesome home! What great touches you’ve put into it. I’m thinking of painting my walls white. What paint color did you use? I’m having a difficult time choosing…I don’t want a stark, cold white. Thanks!

23. Linda says:

This is one of my favorite sneak peeks. I love the color combination of orange,green, black and all the interesting handmade items.Like the bed and coffee table. Really warm and fun.

24. Love the whole place! Stair shelves are fabulous.

25. Dianne says:

Your home is awesome…love what u have done. So cozy. Thanks for sharing.

26. meta says:

I want this house for Christmas! ;)

27. Taylor Marie says:

This could be exactly what I want. Everything looks one of a kind but cohesive & it is the closest I could get to a minimalist looking house without missing my knick knacks.

28. What a cozy home! I love that most of your unique pieces are hand made or handed down, it gives the home a warm feeling that I get when around family.
    I also love your new studio/ gallery! The yellow couch makes me melt.

29. How could I have missed this post?! What a FANTASTIC space and right under our Philly noses too… I’ll be sure to feature it on my lil ol’ blog in the days ahead…

30. Sue says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love this home! It is so warm and lovely. I’m always thrilled to see Philly homes featured!

31. Heather A. says:

Holy moly dudes! Sweet digs!

32. Jane says:

Love the bookshelves on the staircase wall. Brilliant use of space and it looks great, too.

33. PierreB says:

Not fan of the fan, imagine the livingroom without… then perfect

34. Soiux wright says:

Love to finally see the place- I have heard alot about it! And it is a special treat to see one of my pieces going up your stairs on the wall. YEA! I am going to use the suitcase under the bed trick you showed too- GENIUS!

35. lisa says:

I love those letters- where can I find some like that? The font is great!