sneak peek: ed roth of stencil 1

by

ed1
over the summer i got my hands on a copy of ed roth‘s book, stencil 101. i’m a big fan of street art, but i have to say even though i was using washable chalk spray “paint,” i’m not sure i have it in me to be a professional guerilla artist (it was still great fun). but his latest book (out this week!) – stencil 101 decor – seems like something right up my alley and the best of both worlds.  it’s great to see how ed has incorporated his work into his own williamsburg brooklyn duplex loft. there are only a few units in the building – that was an old brick bakery in a former life – but it means there are lots of great elements like exposed beams, which are mixed with great modern touches that sold ed on the place. as ed points out, it has great history and soul. click here for more images of ed’s home, and don’t miss all our fantastic sneak peeks right here! {thanks, ed!}anne

ps: amy merrick will be back next week with a new “living in” movie design column. she’s finishing up new projects for the d*s book this week. amy azzarito will be back with another history column in 2 weeks!

[above: Medical cabinet on stenciled wall: I found this medical cabinet at Boeing Surplus store in Seattle. The surplus store has since closed but it was so affordable and very inspiring.  This cabinet sits in my kitchen and since I have a small place, I have to make each space functional while keeping it looking decorative. I decided a color and material theme for this cabinet: glass and natural elements. It contains glasses, glass dishes, a Tibetan carved wood bowl, cigar box full of candles, medical glass, all my sepia colored books, a vintage framed print of natural patterns, shells, and one turquoise chinese dog I’ve had since I was 7.  And of course the wall is stenciled with one of my new repeat patterns from Stencil 101 Decor in a pale robin’s egg blue.]

ed2
View from Sofa to kitchen: The space is one large room for the kitchen, dining area, and living room. I like to have a mostly neutral colored base to the apartment then add color with accent furniture, textiles, and art work.  You can see my old turquoise work table that is the dining table. I found it in the back yard of  garden shop in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. It is perfect counter height so I bought 6 modern leather counter stools to surround it.  A Cafe Bustelo coffee can makes a great vase too! There are two large cylinder lights hanging in the space purchased from CB2 and you can see a pillow on the sofa, I love Arican kuba cloth.

ed3
There’s my live/work table again. I could never paint it to look so nice and warn!  The pencil and brush holders are antique Mexican sugar cone molds bought at a flea market in NYC on 26th street.

ed4
Stacked old wood crates make a fine bedside table for me. I love the bottle marks! I keep a few books bedside to read, the bottom red book is a fairy tale book I’ve had since a child, full of great illustrations and dark stories. The antique hat mold(ebay) holds my favorite hat that was my Father’s. The ceramic and wood reading lamp is by Dutch designer Dick Van Hoff  and the bed is from West Elm.

CLICK HERE
for the rest of Ed’s sneak peek after the jump!

ed5

Above the bed, I have seven framed pencil sketches by Salvador Dali, “Siete Días de la Creación” (Seven Days of Creation). They are super stream-of-conciousness, dreamy, odd drawings. I thought that was fitting for a sleeping room. I bought these in Spain. I love Dali!

ed6

This is a view of the spiral staircase to the bedroom.  Bookshelves (Ikea!) run floor to ceiling. This is one out of the way place in the apartment to put all my eye candy!
Design books, framed photos, and lots of objects line the shelves. Each shelf has a sort of theme and a hierarchy.  the painting is by an artist, Marcus Jansen,  who licensed my stencils to create a few paintings. He specifically did this piece for me, it’s about me and my Father and features my Ranchero (my car he gave me).

ed7

This dark steel table (Housing Works Thrift Shop 136 W. 18th St.)  is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. It is BEHIND the sofa but it is a coffee table height. I like to call it my Current Events table. I change it up sometimes to display something I want to show friends. It has a shadow box I made about my parents including a letterpress piece I found that my dad made for my mom that says “I love you Ginny with all my heart”. Also on the table are Eiffel tower souvenirs, I just went to Paris.  The large Cabinet of Natural Curiosities is always on display, in my opinion, a designers must-have book. And my first book is to the right :) Under the table are baskets one for for shoes, one for throw blankets.

ed8b

This is the view from the bedroom. To the left is a large terrace. Also on the left, that’s an old wagon wheel I found in a collapsed barn upstate. The “painting” is actually an Eels album cover enlarged and custom mounted.  It shows children walking with hunting guns through a landscape of birds. Again, neutral space with colorful art!  And the spiral stairs and landing have that industrial look I admire.

ed9

Stealing the show, is Larry, my best friend! The terrace is a blessing, very nice to sit up there, bbq, relax. The low chairs are from Ikea. the idea is to fill the terrace with plants, a fun work in progress!

1. Love the blues and greys in this home and I like the idea of stenciling as an alternative to wallpaper-such a great graphic pop.

2. lauren says:

the little nods to your dad are really wonderful. great space, ed!

3. Liane says:

The delicate and worn bottle marks inside the crates , so mmmm. It’s that sort of texture and detail which has a big impact for me. And that blue table is worn to absolute crying out loud perfection.

4. Stella says:

what can i say besides, love at first sight! my boyfriend and I desperately need bedside tables, and we have both worked in the basement of a wine store… there is surely something we can use there!

5. deonna says:

seems so well-balanced and…safe/warm

good things for a home to be

6. Leslie says:

Love that it has both a warm & an industrial feel. And yum on the wine crates with the bottle marks-perfect!

7. Tara says:

What a great space. I love that work/dining table and the terrace is amazing (jealous!). Thanks for sharing.

8. Andrea says:

I love the beautiful worn (turquoise!) table…

9. Julie says:

wow, I am completely in love with that worn blue table!

10. Karen says:

I have that same fairy tale book. crazy world we live in. LOVE the colors on neutral base… will have to check out the book!

11. The flow is so serene and is a lovely backdrop for your meaningful pieces. So much soul in your place.

12. Alexis says:

I love old crates as shelving! I have about a dozen old fruit crates with torn colorful labels still attached!

13. td says:

Loved the Surplus Store! Lots of mid-century furniture there, but once you found out that those egg chairs were once mainstays in the ladies bathroom, it lost a lot of charm. Nonetheless, Ed did a great job repurposing that cart!

Great pics and lovely home!

14. lisa h. says:

♥♥♥Larry!!♥♥♥

I love this space, it seems relatively cozy for an industrial loft.

15. Jeanee says:

I LOVE that work table too! Could totally see my husband and I working on it.

16. One of my favorite sneak peek! beautiful!

17. Kathryn says:

I’m sad to hear the Boeing Surplus store has closed – I loved going there when I was little with my grandparents.

18. Rosa says:

so beautiful, so calm

19. rebecca says:

Yes – I miss Boeing surplus. And while they do have an online auction site now it’s just not the same as sneaking down on a Tuesday to look for treasures.

I love the details of this sneak peek.

20. Kate says:

Ed, you are a master! I love how clean and airy your space is, but it still feels personal and well lived. Thanks for sharing

21. Amanda says:

Would do anything to own that distressed aqua wood table. LOVE.

22. Nancy says:

Can I come visit? I LOVE your loft and all of the personal touches. I now have a crush on your turquoise table.

23. Willi says:

Larry is so cute! He makes a fine addition to your lovely home. I adore crates too. I just picked up 3 for $1 at an estate sale this weekend. Mine were used on Japanese fishing boats to pack fish and have Japanese characters on the side. I love the idea of using them as a bedside table!

24. Sarah Shaw says:

The teal distressed table is fabulous!

25. Ellie says:

Ed, your home is fabulous! I feel very inspired. Could you share your gray paint colors with us? :)

26. Amy@AQ-V says:

What an exceptional space, really love the mix of old and new. Such dimension!

27. Kayna says:

I really like the dali sketches four over three like that. As many wall montages as I’ve seen, I’ve never seen a placement like that!

28. Sarah says:

I will never forget “discovering” Stencil 1 at the Pool trade show in Vegas back in 2005 and being so blown away by how amazing this little idea was. 4 years later I’m carrying the book in my shop and am still blown away by how incredible ed’s aesthetic really is. good work!

29. jacqueline says:

Gorgeous home! Such inspirational photos! I adore that medical cabinet lots. :) Thanks for sharing and have a lovely merry happy day! Love to yoU!

30. Tommy says:

Fresssssh! Thanks for sharing some dude design.

31. jena says:

i love love love that honeycomb stenciled wall… bookmark! totally doing that in my next place!

32. carlitadee says:

I’m a huge fan of Ed’s work, having purchased Stencil 101 earlier this year. I sent him pictures of some baby onesies that I stenciled, and he was nice enough to put them on his blog. From that experience I knew he was a cool guy, but now I see he’s the coolest of cool. I love, love, love the aesthetics of his space. Thanks so much for featuring him.

33. Your table is so beautiful. What an unusual find! Not only to find something thats worn so beautifully but in such an unusual color as well!

34. silvina says:

I love the blue table…it matches perfect with all. great place.

35. Kimberly says:

wow. i love all of the worn wooden elements (the crates, that turquoise table that we all seem to love) with the industrial steel. all of the personal touches are still so cool/modern. i love the terrace too. fantastic home!

36. ale says:

me encantó esa mesa azul!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. That blue table is the table of my dream! :-)

38. Ed Roth says:

Very humbled by all the kind words here! Thank you very much. Someone asked the colors of our place. They are Sag Harbor Gray and Gettysburg Gray by Benjamin Moore. Thanks again for the sneak peek Design*Sponge and I hope you all enjoy Stencil 101 Decor!

39. daviel says:

I totally need that dinner table! Your place looks quite amazing, dark and serious, but I really like it. You can tell even the small objects have an impact on the overall look/vibe of the place – like the medical cabinet or the turquoise wooden table. Love it!

40. maria says:

this stencil book is the PERFECT Christmas gift for my sister! Thank you so much for sharing this info and artist. What a find!

maria

41. Sania says:

Wow, I also love that blue dining table. Great color and texture.

42. Sharon says:

Beautiful and inspiring! One little detail question: how did you hang the curtains in “the view from the bedroom”?

43. summerland says:

This apartment is perfectly balanced. LOVE all the sentimental touches and the rooftop terrace must be so dreamy in person. I’ll definitely check out your book as my double height front entry needs a graphic punch.

44. pink mist says:

what a great loft! the decor’s great & that industrial spiral staircase is to die for! i’m jealous :p

45. kendal croix says:

that blue table is to die for.

46. Magchunk says:

The blue honeycomb wallpaper is beautiful and fits the space perfectly.

I like that this apartment feels vaguely masculine but isn’t cold or abrasive like some “manly” homes are.

47. DesertNana says:

I love every element of this home-especially the current events table!
    It is so welcoming and comfortable.

48. Ed Roth says:

Hi and thanks again for the great comments! As for the curtains, we used two wire kits from Ikea. And the honeycomb “wallpaper” is a stencil from the new book, just keep repeating it and voila! Thanks again!

49. SarahZM says:

Wow what are some of the wall paint colors – I love them and everything else!!!

50. Jessie says:

What are the paint colors on these walls? They are perfect.