living in: national velvet

still 1
roundup 1
To celebrate the triumphant return of “Living In” from our two week hiatus, I bring you what may be my favorite post in the series so far, National Velvet. Perhaps you may not geek out about old children’s movies as much as I do, but it’s a proven fact you cannot go wrong with horses, cute dresses and little Liz Taylor. Pop some popcorn and your heart will melt. Promise.

[image above, clockwise from top left: wool blanket $158,horse show ribbons $3.35 each, Lover sailor dress $580, cup and saucer $14, pears, needlepoint pillow $98, vintages breyer horse, yellow beret $12.99]

still 2
still 3
roundup 2
Set in the late 1920s in Sussex, National Velvet follows the story of Velvet Brown who trains her wild and wonderful stable horse to ride in the Grand National Steeplechase. (and can we all just pause for a moment and appreciate how adorable the name Velvet is?) Flannels, plaids, berets, barns, sweet dresses, riding boots, rosy cheeks and hair ribbons- this movie is truly and sincerely my holy grail of inspiration. –amy m.

PS- I would like to dedicate this post to all of us who wished and hoped and prayed for a pony for Christmas but never got one. Grace Bonney and design*sponge are happy to announce that, Oprah style, we will be hand delivering ponies to each and every reader this holiday season.

[image above, clockwise from top left: winner’s circle necklace $14.99,vintage saddle bag $62, wool blanket $158, felt headband $4, riding boots $189, plaid belt $90, antique carved bookends $650, henning sofa $3998]

1. Chloe C. says:

O thankyouthankyouthankyou!
    i will keep my pony in my room: )

2. alexis says:

this is my favorite series, my favorite movie, my favorite animal!! i used to ride competitively when i was younger and this film always made me cry.

3. Lynne says:

Horses!! There is no theme better to strike right to my heart. I really DID get a pony for Christmas when I was seven–one of the sweetest stories of my life. Very lovely post!

4. Liz says:

this is BRILLIANT. the sounds in this movie are so incredible, and I always wanted her mom’s tea cozy from the end.

5. Leah D. says:

Love these – SO well done! Saw the movie Gigi this weekend – the red walls – would make a wonderful “living in”.

6. Heather says:

Showers of love for this post! Everything is so cozy and reminds me of home. I too asked for a pony at every possible chance. 23 years of wishing later and I finally have my own (and have had him for 4 years now). Though, technically he’s not a pony, I still call him one. ;)

And I have to say my “pony” looks darned good in plaid!

7. Mandi says:

I adore this movie! Great feature!

8. Annie May says:

This is just too cute!! Wouldn’t that be great, I can just hear you yelling (Oprah Style) “And everyone of the readers….GETS A NEW PONY!” I love living in!

9. Megan says:

OMG i loved this movies when i was growing up. For some reason though my sisters and i used to call it “The girl and the horse”. Wasn’t til i grew up that i realized what it was actually called.

10. Marie says:

Love it. Can’t wait so see my horse today :)

11. Heather says:

Thank you for reminding me of a movie I loved as a kid! I may have to go and rent it, now!

12. Rachelle says:

I so love it. The inspiration is more than 60 years old, but the picks are so in tune with what’s happening right now. :)

13. Mariann says:

Pretty. Lately I have been reading and dreaming about living in the worlds that I’m reading about. I would *love* to be able to live in the world of Jean Giono’s Joy of Man’s Desiring (it’s about a community of french farmers living on a plateau and a man named Bobi who goes to teach them about joy… even if there is never a guide based on this book, I *highly* suggest that you read it) as well as in the village of Trachimbrod in Jonathan Safran Foer’s Everything Is Illuminated (also worth reading, even if you’ve seen the movie, which I very much love but it’s very different from the book… I would love to live in the “historic” village). Also a movie from my childhood that I just watched again for the first time in years is Hans Christian Andersen with Danny Kay as the lead. It’s probably one of my favorite musicals. I love the mix of Danish design with the colors of the 1950s. What I would give to live in the storage room across the alley from the ballet! Wether they become guides or not, I strongly suggest it for your viewing pleasure.

14. Tara says:

Oh this only my most favorite movie of all time. If I ever have a daughter her name will be Velvet.
    This made my day big time!!

15. Kaijuu says:

This is my favorite series on Design Sponge ever! How fabulous! Those riding boots are on my list this Christmas ^_^