in the country

rebecca is living her dream. she bought a place in the country, complete with woods, winding creek, garden space, and old tin-roofed shacks. one is now her ‘ idea shack’, where she draws and paints and soaks up the beauty. here we give a taste of that it’s like to live ‘ in the country’.

i had grand garden plans this spring. roses, sunflowers and dahlias everywhere. the house would be full of lavish bouquets all summer. i left a few pokeberries to sprout up here and there for southern charm.
by midsummer the pokeberries had branched and grown till they shaded everything else out. attempts at pruning merely encouraged more growth. soon they were pressing against the studio windows and I found myself immersed in pokeberry beauty.
i studied, drew, painted, and took pictures of them, and finally ended up making tons of plates and bowls decorated with pokeberries and goldfinches.
although my flower dreams were dashed, the pokeberries turned out to be a blessing!

CLICK HERE for the rest of the post after the jump!

1. shira says:

*sigh* so lovely. I want to have that sort of talent.

2. I love the rustic studio!

3. Twist says:

They’re really beautiful.

4. susie says:

do you sale your work I love the poke berry dishes and would love some pieces.

5. I love this motif, and pokeberries! I have tried dying wool yarn with it, but alas, pokeberries do not make a strong stain on wool! How much is the pokeberry platter? Do you have a catalog/website?!! Are you on ETSY??

6. Just gorgeous! I dream of a place like this! Are pokeberries edible?

7. Miriam Karp says:

I never knew those berries were pokeberries! I love the serving platter–gorgeous with those scalloped edges.

8. cydney says:

Lovely! I would be very interested in some of your pokeberry pieces. Where is your work available, please.

9. This is post is very timely for me!!
    Being from Athens, I have admired R. Woods for many years!
    In fact I went home for Thanksgiving and was just at R. Woods yesterday and bought 3 pieces! Her pottery is absolutely gorgeous and truly one of a kind!

10. kristen says:

we do have a website
    you can find the pokeberry pieces in our one of a kind section…
    we also have a shop in athens.

you can always email us at if you want a catalog of our line pieces

11. kristen says:

pokeberry greens are edible but as the plants mature and berries grow they become poisonous. so if you harvest the greens in the spring… you are safe:)