diy project: toilet paper roll wall art

wall art_eco kids craft04
it’s not every day that you find a clever way to reuse something from the bathroom, but tali from growing up creative had a simple but beautiful idea that lets you reuse toilet paper rolls. whether you’re looking for a fun afternoon craft to do with little ones or just want to find a way upcycle old toilet paper rolls, this is a perfect afternoon project. i’m tempted to spray paint them in metallic colors to make a holiday-style arrangement…

CLICK HERE for the full instructions from tali below!

Toilet Paper rolls
White glue
Paint + brushes
Laundry pins

1. Crush paper roll

2. Cut into approximately 5 equal parts don’t have to be exact

3. Place the rolls on a flat surface creating a desired pattern. spend time trying different compositions and patterns.

4. Glue where rolls are touching, hold with laundry pins to dry. You may use a stapler as an alternative, what ever is easier. I find that glue is easier for the younger kids.

5. You may paint and add sparkles. Sprinkle the glitter on the wet paint, this way it will sticks and you wont need any glue.

6. You may expend the pattern in to an organic cell growth. The challenge is when to say STOP.

CLICK HERE for more images from Tali’s project! Thanks, Tali!

1. Jasmine says:

This will also be great for all the empty rolls of wrapping paper after Christmas!

2. This is awesome! I never thought that toilet rolls will be an impressive wall art. Thanks for sharing!

3. @tishushu says:

Ok, so I went ahead and made one… And it was so fun! Its smaller than the one shown, but I want to make more!

Here’s the post:

4. This is such a nice project,and also one way of recycling products.If all people are knowledgeable enough to create stuff like this I’m sure many will gain profit.

5. custardy says:

OMG! Amazing. Love it.

6. Sandy Smith says:

This is great! I made mine in flower shapes. How do you suggest I attach them to the wall?

7. custardy says:

About the germs, i’ve seen quite a few times on the internet that the tubes can be sterilized with a quick blast in a microwave!

8. Maria Luisa Romero says:

Hi! i just love the idea. I’m excited to try it out.

9. Elisa says:

This is just great,thanks for posting !!!

10. Tom says:

Ok, I did it. It took a few months of saving up tp rolls, but this installation has been in the back of my mind since this post. I skipped the glue and just used tiny paper clips between each contact point. Works great, went together so fast and you can’t even see them beyond a few feet away.

11. oyat says:

Toilet paper roll start collecting!

12. This are impressive,who can even think that you can re use the holder of tissue paper and make it a wall decor.Truly being creative have a great sense to make our surroundings look beautifully.

13. A very unique sense, Our creativity to change our place or make things different is one way of decorating and adds life to our walls.Metal wall art gives some accent view to your wall. Your idea is so ingenious.

14. n0ra says:

LOVE it!!! Thanks!!!

15. Tiffany says:

I just made two of these, and it was so easy and fun, and a really great and cheap way to add some pizzazz to my walls!

16. Mandy says:

any ideas on how to get the remnants off the rolls? having
    a bit of trouble with that…

17. What a brilliant idea! It was so easy to do. You don’t have
    to spend much money by doing this, you just have to recycle those
    toilet paper rolls. Good job!

18. I also made a connection with this to Tara Donovan’s work!

19. athidi says:

20. Thanks for the tutorial! Just made a pair of these for my bedroom & they filled up my wall space perfectly!

21. Andrea says:

Como dijo Tali…no volveré a mirar como antes los rollos de papel…realmente son muy creativos, buenisima idea.

22. Joanie says:

Love this! Used tape, which I would not recommend, looks a little sloppy up close. But I love how it looks in my room. Thanks! Here’s my version:

23. Tricia says:

Wow, this is gorgeous. I never would’ve known this was made from t.p. rolls! =) Found you via

24. Shealynn says:

Oooooh, I made something like this!!! But it is way more detailed.

25. AmyJRockstar says:

How incredibly brilliant! I can’t wait to try it, but I’m going to cover my rolls with scrapbooking paper that suits my color combo in my craft room (hot pink, zebra, black & white). Thanks so much for the AWESOME idea!!!

26. Sharon says:

I have LOADS of toilet paper rolls. I save them up and then donate them to a school, but don’t have anyone that I know of in need of them right now. So, my daughter and I will get to work on this project – love it!

27. esha says:

I really like this idea. I looks organically chic!

28. Kandy says:

Wow this is fantastic! I am looking for ideas for a headboard for a guest room and this is going to be one of the top ideas. Thanks

29. zografia says:

i love tp wall art. so clever! and noone can tell what it is made of! this is what i created for our home, hope you like it.

30. Carmen Russell says:

This is the best i have seen in a while,this is also a must try for me.

31. Jen says:

PAINT THIS when it’s done. You can paint it white, or colors to match your decor, sometimes crafts/paint stores have certain spray paints on sale/clearance, or my favorite spray is chrome, because it has such a neat look to it.

32. Leila says:

Dear Grace @ Design Sponge:

@Joan: Paper towel rolls do the same thing without the “ick” factor.

Also check out this Russian site- select English at the top menu, then scroll down to see the cut rolls:

I had my young group (K-2 It’s a small school) make a ripped paper collage in fall colors. Tomorrow we will stamp over that with cut up towel rolls in more fall colors (just like in the picture on this site.) I have 2 x3 inch cards cut from old file folders to stamp the veins and stems in the same colors as the leaves. Partners will do up to 10 stampings in one color, then rotate around the tables to another color. I’m very excited about this!

33. Vickie says:

A question please. What type of paint do you recommend?

34. Cindy says:

Hi this is sort of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you need to by hand code with
    HTML. I’m starting a web log soon but don’t have any coding skills and so i desired to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

35. rita says:

for complete directions doesn’t take you any where.