diy project: sara’s crocheted plastic bag placemats

Crocheted Place Mat from Plastic Bags_1
i’m still finishing up the book this morning, so i wanted to kick things off from with a fun diy project. d*s reader and crafting mom sara rivka dahan created these great crocheted placemats using leftover plastic bags from the grocery store. it’s not every day that you find a fun way to reuse those bags, and this is the perfect project to keep you busy on a cold winter day. CLICK HERE for the full instructions! thanks, sara!

1. Teresa says:

Wow! Incredible!! :)

2. Mouse says:

Wow. I could actually do this. I could make, say 950 with the plastic bags in our kitchen closet alone!

3. Sarah says:

my greatgrandmother used to make these with bread bags. we had what seemed like hundreds of them!

4. Marie says:

That is by far the best idea I have seen for plarn yet. I love it!

5. raizy says:

Wow! What a great way to recycle into something useful and So cute! Love it! THanks!

6. Joan says:

This is very pretty. Very similar to tote bags that I make (round and square), using a multitude of plastic bags and/or tableclothes.
    These are fun and quick to make. Very durable too. My mother used to make rugs and chair cushions.

7. apayne says:

you can find totes like this for sale at a super cute store in athens, ga called helix or you could last summer when i was there! great idea!! the red and white target bags make really cute ones.

8. melissa says:

My dear grandmother used to make these as rugs – they wash well and eventually just disintegrate (at least they do after a long Northern winter full of boot scuffing loggers coming in for coffee three times a day!) which solves the problem of landfill and waste issues! She did it out of necessity – maybe we should as well!

9. Bryan Moore says:

The color patterns reminds me of back home. The best thing about these are that they are sustainable. I’m a huge advocate of green design and appreciate stuff like this.

10. Wow, I never knew it was so easy to make plarn. I had pictured a very tedious method of making the bags into yarn…. I think I might be able to actually do this!. Her site has another cool project with plastic bags, coasters. You melt the bags together to make a thick plastic and you can put pretty designs in between the layers…I love simple-recycled crafts…thanks D*S!

11. Mme Verdurin says:

Wow… that’s… um… frugal.

12. polly says:

another way to make the plarn faster is to use a mat & cutter. I stack the folded bags 3 high & 3 across. weigh them down with a cold iron or weight, and use the cutter to cut off the bottoms. then cut across all the bags, making 9 loops per cut. enjoy.

13. jyotsna says:

Its very nice & Pretty

14. This is great! I make jewelry with crochet plastic bags. Can’t wait to make a place mat!