diy project: david stark’s twine snowmen

1 davidstark_twine DIY_DSC_0198 edited
[today’s final diy project is a guest post from designer david stark! stay tuned for his updated hometour in the d*s book, or click here to check out original tour online]

I have been obsessed with snowmen for as long as I can remember, and right now, I am certainly obsessed with string and twine! My buddies over at west elm humored my cord obsession, welcoming me to design my very first product line, a collection of holiday decorating items, all so reasonably priced and in the stores now. Many of the items in the line grew out of techniques we often employ for the hand-made elements we create for events. I am happy to let you in on one of our secrets.

2 davidstark_twine DIY_DSC_0200
A twine snowman is a no-brainer. Simply take 3 varying sized balls and stack ‘em. But the “drawn” twine elements – pipes, hats, any details you desire, all are created by re-wrapping twine around wire, hiding it as an armature inside the strand.

You can then draw anything you want because the wire holds the shape. Write words, create a bow tie, a jaunty cap, and group a happy family on a credenza or a mantle. Create a centerpiece for a dining or buffet table, pairing the snowmen with items from our west elm collection to create a unique scene. Mixing naturals with glimmering metallics feels new to me and immediately propels twine into the holiday season. [Photos courtesy of Susan Montagna]

Ho ho ho!

D.

CLICK HERE for the full project steps after the jump!

4 davidstark_twine DIY_DSC_0216
5 davidstark_twine DIY_DSC_0224

Materials:

19-gauge floral wire
Single-ply sisal twine
Low temperature glue gun
Wire snips
Scissors
Needle-nose pliers or board and nails

Directions:

Cut a few feet of twine and unravel it slightly. Squeeze a line of hot glue along an inch or so of the wire and wrap the twine around tightly so the wire is covered completely. Repeat along length of the wire. If you need a longer length, connect lengths of wire by overlapping the ends and wrapping the twine around them as if they were one.

Shape with pliers or by bending the wire around nails in a board arranged in the desired pattern.

1. kay* says:

I recently did some cones recently using twine using the david spark west elm ones as inspiration. LOVE the way they turned out.

2. What great ideas! I love the whole look! We all have many items we can make from basics that we already own. Let’s all just use our imaginations!

3. Alissa says:

These are so adorable. I love it!

4. kelly says:

IN LOVE with these! :) Such a cool and quick idea. :) Thanks!

5. Love this! David Stark is endlessly brilliant, it seems.

6. lauren says:

the little hats + pipes?! too much… I love it – I had to smile.

7. Very good idea ! I’m thinking to use it for Christmas decoration.

8. so cute i want to do this!

9. Roxanne says:

The little pipe makes the set! A perfect match for my home.

10. jenni says:

wow, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the West Elm versions. So glad the DIY is as easy as it looks! Thanks!

11. Hanna says:

Wow, what a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!

12. Ellen says:

String and Twine….I confess….an obsession…smiles.

13. Jenn says:

Perfection! Thanks for posting the tutorial.

14. Betty says:

I love snowmen too– I have always wanted a “special” one as a table decoration for summer– think of the cooling effect when its hot outside.

15. Jeni Ann says:

I adore twine, I confesss. These will be adorable in my house this Christmas.

16. ARLENE says:

awesome! I luv the twine look and snowmen! wonderful…thanks

17. thank you! i now have a use for the balls of vintage twine i’ve been collecting..love it!

18. Kristin says:

Great Snowmen! These would be so cute on a mantle with a variety of of snowmen designs.

19. Hilary says:

These are very cool!..am thinking of making one for my grandmother.

20. Jennifer says:

I would think that it would also be possible, albeit a little messy, to first soak the twine/string in liquid starch or Elmer’s glue and form the words or designs that way.

21. Jennie says:

I LOVE snowpeople!! Thanks!

22. joanne piepmeyer says:

Where is best place to but twine?