before & after: nadia’s bathroom

nadiabefore1
when it comes to bathroom makeovers, i tend to prefer something light, bright and airy over something darker. but lately i’ve found myself oddly influenced by some of the cooler restaurant restrooms around brooklyn. a lot of the new hipstery restaurants tend to have dark, moody bathrooms with a vintage feel and it makes me want to turn my bathroom into something dark and a little more masculine. i have a feeling ac would dig that, so when i got an email from nadia haddad about a recent bathroom makeover she did for a friend, i thought it would be a great example to illustrate that darker style.

nadiaafter
nadiaafter2
nadia’s friend inherited a seriously pink bathroom, but was looking for something a bit different, so nadia repainted the walls, added dark wainscoting and installed some seriously cool lighting fixtures, along with a few vintage accessories (love the abe lincoln print). i love the new wallpaper and, despite having a soft spot for pink bathrooms, love the new link in here. thanks to nadia for sharing!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on design*sponge? shoot me an email right here with your (low res please) images]

1. sarah says:

LOVE this bathroom makeover. The light fixture, the wall paper, the print..Jealous of your friend:)

2. sarah says:

LOVE this bathroom makeover. The light fixture, the wall paper, the print..such a unique and cool bathroom.

3. Liz Love says:

You do amazingly beautiful work!
    Congrats on your book!
    God Bless your gifts.

4. That’s quite a bold wallpaper – quite brave for a bathroom – but it worked out so well!

5. The After is FABULOUS and Yummy! Sorry but hate the before.

6. Ashling says:

I love the before photo, I think its because I love pink, and secondly our weather is always dull here and I like bright spaces. But the after photos are wonderful too, very classy look, good work

All things nice…

7. Angela says:

YUM-MIEEE!

8. nat says:

Oh I love love love the after.. It’s not something I’d have thought of at all for a bathroom, it’s unusual and different.. totally classy and gorgeous. And yeah, I do agree that Abe is a bit unusual in a bathroom but he fits this room perfectly. In my bathroom he’d look out of place, but here he seems right at home.

9. Amanda says:

Gawd. Something awesomely rich and enveloping about this room makes me want to swizzle my shaving brush in my shaving mug. And I’m a lay-dee….

10. Nativeson71 says:

The light bulbs with the mercury or mirrored portion – what are those bulbs called? I have seen designers use them in the past – strong impact.

1. grace says:

hi nativeson71

i buy them at my local hardware store and they say “mercury dipped bulbs” on the box. i haven’t seen a more specific name for them.

grace

11. corian says:

That caged light almost looks like on old fan. Love it!!

12. jess says:

Does Nadia have a blog or anything? i’d love to see more of her work.

13. Marie says:

i love it!! i especially like the light fixture.

14. LeeAnn says:

Before and After photos are so fun! When we remodeled our house 6 years ago, we documented every improvement and change and it is STILL fun to look back at them! Great job on these remodels. Incredible!

15. Nadia says:

I do have a blog, it’s not public though, it’s just a place for me to put my inspiration pictures on/in… for myself and friends.
    You’re welcome to email me, to take a look.
    nadiaehaddad@gmail.com

Thanks!!

16. Really nice job.

I am curious, is this a powder room or a full bath? I’d also love to see the new floor…

Also, regarding the pendant lamp, is there any detailed info you could give us on it, since Industrial Lighting Supply is not an online retailer? Like maybe a brand name and model number? Thanks.

17. I just re-read the end of my comment. Sorry if it came off snotty-sounding. That was not AT ALL my intention.

18. kristin says:

love this bathroom. Im so redoing mine now!!

19. Nadia says:

Hey everybody,
    So I went to the house, because I thought we saved the box from the lighting fixture… Gone! I want to say it was a Stonco product, but their website is not working to check… sorry. If and when I find out, I’ll definetly post it. You could also try and call Industrial Lighting Supply, they are really nice, and they are fairly small so they may know off hand… Blue, garage, pendant light.

20. hrhkat says:

gorgeous reno…i love the mercury dipped light balls. I have always wanted to use them for something but never really had the right place for a shadeless fixture…

Also, in the before shot, I have to say the original sconces werent that bad, if the metal was painted high gloss white, they could have still looked good and matched the sink and brought some of the white up on the wall.

love wallpaper inthe bathroom, im looking at my bathroom right now with its clawfoot tub, and all white marble floor and white cabinet and white sink and wondering what would look good..its a small bathroom, and the wall are currently a light aqua..
    any good places to check for cool wallpaper?

21. Kyle says:

Sure the before picture has its charm…but the after is great. Who doesn’t want their bathroom to feel like a posh boutique hotel?

22. Kayla says:

Definitely agree about the bathrooms in restaurants! The one in Relish always makes me feel like I’m in a bar at night instead of restaurant at brunch time…what makes most of these bathrooms is the wood paneling, low light and candles. The wood paneling in the after picture looks great!

23. ohsusanna says:

You have great vision and execution. I am also interested in the source for your great hanging light. Keep us posted – thanks.

24. Hey everyone, I think I found the light fixture – it looks like it’s from Westinghouse. Here’s one possible link for purchase: http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/517328.html

25. ohsusanna says:

No luck with the light fixture. It seems it has been discontinued.

26. Amanda says:

light fixture –
    http://www.troy-lighting.com, item #F9273OR

27. Jann Bell says:

It’s Jan. 26, 2010 and the 1-light adjustable pendant fixture item # 517328 (Westinghouse) has vanished from the market, sold out, out of stock. Is there anyone who has changed their minds and would like to sell me theirs? Please!