before & after: lauren’s kitchen + kevin’s room + j.c.

kitchenbefore
today’s final before & afters are devoted to kitchens, bathrooms, home exteriors and a seriously sweet pink living room. first up is lauren from pure style home. she rescued both her kitchen and nook from serious blah-dom with wallpaper, wainscoting, a chalkboard fridge and a beautiful chandelier. well done, laura! click here for more info on her process.

kitchenafter
nookbefore
nookafter

[have a before & after you’d like to share on design*sponge? shoot me an email right here with your (low res please) images]

CLICK HERE for kevin’s living room makeover and j.c.’s home exterior and bathroom upgrades after the jump!

kevinbefore
we got a peek into designer kevin o’shea‘s manhattan apartment earlier this fall, and today kevin’s sharing a peek into the apartment transformation he completed for a client this past spring. this pink room is my favorite but you can see the full makeover right here. thanks, kevin!

kevin_afer

ridgeviewfront_before
ridgeviewfront_after
ridgeviewbath_before
last but not least is a series of makeovers from architect j.c. schmeil. j.c. recently completed a remodel/addition project in the zilker neighborhood in austin and i’m really loving the home’s exterior and bathroom makeovers. i love the new sleek modern front…thanks for sharing, j.c.!

1. Megan Leone says:

Thank you for sharing Lauren! I love love love the chalk board frig. Not only because it’s fun but it’s the only affective way I have seen to update an old frig.

2. lauren says:

alas, additional proof that my kitchen needs a tulip table RIGHT NOW.

3. Marie says:

amazing makeover, very inspiring. thank you for sharing. i love the chalkboard fridge, have thought about it but never tried it. now i really want to try it. Thanks.

4. Melissa says:

Love this kitchen makeover! Open shelves are my fave. And chalkboards in the kitchen are perfect. Great work!

5. Cala says:

I am curious to know more about the compact tub featured in the bathroom remodel. Does anyone have a good source for these?

6. D says:

Love, love, love the kitchen!! It makes me wonder how open and modern ours would be without those boxy cupboards. I love the idea of painting the fridge with chalkboard paint. Especially when your fridge is cheap and old and doesn’t match. SO smart! and take it from someone that cooks three meals a day…the hood is not a necessity!

7. cjane says:

I would love to try 2 things in my small kitchen. 1) taking down my cabinets in exchange for open shelves, but I’m so nervous it would make my small space look cluttered, and tips?
    2) chalkboard paint fridge! love!

8. Morgan says:

That kitchen reno is genius. And hardly any money spent!

I love that pink living room, but I can’t get over that tv/stand in front of the fireplace! That’s just wrong.

9. Saple says:

So amazing.. I think its time to redesign…

10. Aimee says:

Great kitchen as well but I’m even more enamored with that square bathtub…do tell where that’s from!

11. Natalie says:

I saw this post last night, and within minutes was in my car to buy chalkboard paint. Our fridge was here when we moved in and is VERY ugly, so we had nothing to lose! I LOVE IT! Thanks for the inspiration!

12. The transformation of Lauren’s kitchen is just incredible. She has such a good eye and has the best ideas!

13. El says:

I just came across this blog and am completely enthralled. I am so pleased to see that someone had the good sense to rip out the hideous kitchen counters and replace them with simple, clean functional lines. Just beautiful.

14. Anna says:

That has got to be one of my favorite kitchens ever!

15. Sania says:

The potted trees in the kitchen and the cake/cupcake stand are adorable. Mmm, cupcakes.

16. Sylvia says:

I read the Pure Style Home blog and have seen that kitchen before but couldn’t leave a message to let Lauren know how much I love it. It looks homey, simple, and cozy all at the same time. I always wonder if Lauren and her husband are tall, as the 2 shelves are very high, with the lowest one being the height of the top of her fridge and the higher one being much higher than that.

17. Sarah says:

Love the kitchen! Can I ask where you got the plants/pots? They would be perfect for my kitchen, but the type of plants/trees and weathered pots are so wonderful, and I’m not sure how to replicate – thanks!!

18. Melanie says:

Admirable work! Love the kitchen!

19. k says:

I would love to know the color of the front of the “modern pagado” house? It really sets off everything else going on.

20. Reese says:

Did you paint the dishwasher? If so what kind of paint did you use?

21. Sara says:

I love the kitchen, but could never deal with all my dishes being out in the open. The pink room is nice, but that tv in front of the fireplace is a deal breaker for me. And, am I seriously the only one that thinks that house now looks like an elementary school? The entrance is over the top. I do like the paint color, though.

22. Marc B. says:

I’m confused by the potted plants. Are they live plants? If so, are they in cache pots? I’m wondering about how you water them since I don’t see any saucers to collect excess water. Most of my plants have saucers and they’re not the most attractive items in the world. Any suggestions out there for how to reduce their use without trading up to unusually large cachepots?

23. Great job on the exterior of that home. I wonder how much the value went up from this project and what it cost.

24. L. Jane Klassen says:

I have an awful fireplace and an open living room at the house I am living in now, is there any way I can get suggestions about how to improve it?

1. grace says:

hi laura

just shoot me an email at designsponge@gmail.com, we’re happy to help.

grace

25. Jennifer says:

I understand the functionality of covering the fireplace with the television, but I think from a design perspective it looks awful. Why not mount that flat screen above the tv? It wouldn’t be as pretty as the mirror, but it would be better than awkwardly sitting in front of it.

26. Heidi says:

Can you tell me the brand and color of paint used on the pink accent wall with the gold-framed mirrors? I am in love with that color.

27. Camie says:

Can you tell me what the color is that you used on your kitchen cabinets. Wow, very cool spaces you guys have created.

28. Genevieve says:

I’m DYING to get info on small bathtubs! Can’t tell exactly how big the one pictured above is, but I’m hoping to find something to fit into a 42″ x 30″ space.
    Anyone got any tips?

29. Wow what an amazing transformation, bravo!

30. I do love “before and after” posts because the transformations just inspire me to either do the same or come up with my own ideas. Among all these, I would say that Kevin’s living room makeover is the best. The changes are so dramatic! Thank you for sharing this post. This is again an added inspiration for every reader.