before & after: jen’s chair + nichole’s dresser

jenbefore
today’s first before & after comes from d*s reader jen eckert. jen saved a beautiful wooden chair from the landfill and decided to update it with a coat of soft yellow paint and two different fabrics. i love the combination of yellow and grey (always) and the way that different seat and back fabrics really add an extra layer of detail. great work, jen! check out nichole’s dresser makeover after the jump…

[have a before & after you’d like to share on design*sponge? shoot me an email right here with your (low res please) images]

jen_after

CLICK HERE for nichole’s silver dresser makeover after the jump!

nichole_before
nichole from sparrow’s nest
sent over this metallic dresser makeover. i really love the slightly shiny silver stripes- they update this yard sale piece in a modern and slightly sophisticated way. thanks for sharing, nichole!

nicoleafter2
nicoleafter

1. El says:

I’m truly impressed with the dresser makeover. She did a great job. Is it possible to include a bit more about “how” it was redone? For example, what kind of paint do we use to create this effect? Great blog. Thanks!

2. Matt says:

I really like the dresser! Good job! I’m not sure that two patterns on the chair was the best choice. I think that one pattern or left the wood back would have been more cohesive, and I love the side table!

3. Jenny Sun says:

I love the dresser makeover, and I’d love to know how she did it!

4. cara says:

Love these! That dresser is completely my favorite — now I know what I can do to jazz up my bedroom!

5. the chair makeover is just splendid! i hope perhaps to find out where the seat fabric was purchased? it is the absolutely perfect pattern for a chair project that i have been fabric searching for! thank you :)

6. kellie says:

Love the chair! Great pattern choices!

7. Wendy says:

Great job on both! I particularly like that chair!

8. Lucy Canada says:

They both started with great prices and re created them in such amazing ways! Congrats to both!

9. Jeni says:

I love the chair makeover. I really like the idea of using two different coordinating patterns, great choice!

10. chloe says:

Hey – is the fabric that she used vintage? If it is available – can you post what it is? Love it!!

11. Heather says:

Both of these look great. The chair is absolutely divine! Great display of creativity in both of these projects! Kudos!

12. Freck says:

Hoorayyy! It’s my favorite day of the blog week because I loooove the D*S B&A’s!! These are once again, amazing. Can’t wait to see more :)

13. Angela says:

Love the dresser- Nichole can you tell us what brand of silver paint you used?

Thanks!
    Angela

14. Laura says:

The fabric is Joel Dewberry from his Ginseng (Mulberry) line:

15. Nichole says:

This is Nichole, the one with the dresser. As far as the paint. I used Behr Metallic, in silver. HOWEVER, much to my dismay, it seems to be discontinued. I’m crying as we speak. But, someone on my blog commented, brilliantly I might add, that possibly radiator paint may have the same effect. I will be trying for sure!

16. Both of those after’s are killer! The two complementary fabrics on that chair is brilliant.

17. Rita says:

Lowe’s paint, Valspar, has metalic paint. There are a number of metal-color choices. It’s great and I highly recommend it.

18. koolaroo says:

dresser makeover is fabulous!

19. All I have to say is, WOW!

20. Jesse Lu says:

@Laura- how did you add cushion to the chair back? Where and how is the fabric attatched up there?

21. Jen (re: Jesse Lu's question) says:

Hey Jesse. I just took the chair back off completely, added a layer of cotton, then the fabric, and stapled it on. Then, I sewed a piece of fabric to match the shape of the chair back, and attached it. This covers all the previous staples. Then screwed the legs back on. :)

22. shana says:

i have the worst luck. i purchased a coffee and end tables with the idea to paint them completely silver. i have been Googling for weeks to get a good recommendation for silver paint. i was so excited when i saw this post … OF COURSE, IT’S DISCONTINUED! :) your dresser is beautiful.

23. Bonnie says:

I am so in love with this dresser that I bought a gorgeous well made old dresser from ebay and I’m going to try to do what you did with white paint and a champagne metallic. Did you spray the white paint and silver paint on the dresser and did you rough up the surface with a light grit sandpaper? So in love with this dresser!!!!!

24. marie (re: chair back upholstery) says:

Jen, How did you attach the fabric to the chair back to cover the staples? I’ve been trying to cover a set of similar chairs. I’m having no luck with the backs. Your chair looks fabulous!

25. marie (re: chair back upholstery) says:

Jen, could you send a photo of the chair back?

26. banu says:

I’ve got one question. I keep reading about these chair/armchair makeovers. I want to know if these people recover their own chairs by themselves or they give them to the professionals; and if they do it themselves, can we learn the tricks and all that stuff, because these makeovers look absolutely gorgeous, so it would be nice to be able to do it

1. grace says:

hi banu

you can find more upholstery tutorials than you could possibly dream of on youtube, ehow, curbly and diynetwork.com.

grace :)

27. Maverick says:

I, too, was upset to find that Behr had discontinued their metallic paint. However, I was able to order some by calling their 800-854-0133 (or 877-237-6158) number. Their customer service people were very friendly and helpful. I appreciate the tip about Valspar at Lowe’s having metallic paint (for my next project).

28. Melissa says:

Love it. Was thinking about doing something like this on my dressers. Will surely consider this idea.