amy sullivan quilts

d*s editor amy azzarito sent over a link to these beautiful quilts from painter amy sullivan. when i was younger i seriously hated quilts. they reminded me of damp dark basements and that mothball smell from your grandmother’s home. but as i’ve gotten older i find myself wanting to bring them into my home without worrying aaron that i’m going all “grandma” on him. these beautiful pieces from amy would be a great way to bring a modern quilt home- her color combinations and choice of imagery is so fresh. click here to see more of amy sullivan’s work and click here to email her about purchases. thanks, amy!

1. Those quilts are great! I’m glad you’ve given up your quilt aversion…they’re my passion!

2. Polly says:

I love that middle one!

3. Karen says:

I LOVE the third one with the eye!

4. ashley akers says:

There are definitely tons of modern quilts out there! I’m planning a zig zag quilt for my couch in white, blues, greens and oranges. Of course my mom is the quilter, but I can come up with the ideas!

5. Sarah Fox says:

Beautiful quilts..stunning

6. katherine says:

i LOVE quilts and have them all over my house. i understand the aversion, though–there is a certain pastel/country knick knack vibe that certain quilts give off and that i try to avoid.

these are amazing, and make me want to start going through my fabric stash for some interesting fabrics to start a winter project with!

7. Penny says:

Fantastic. I quilt, and I can only dream of someday producing something as interesting and gorgeous as these. I’d have any of them in my home. Thank you for sharing.

8. Maria says:

Those are really wonderful, the first one is absolutely perfect! So modern, the colors and the little cross give it a unique felling.

9. Alix says:

That blue one is amazing — first quilt I’ve ever seen that had attitude!!!

10. Jill says:

I love traditional quilts but it is fun to see a younger vibe in these quilts.
    Hanging textiles can be difficult, and those red clips look interesting. Anybody know what they are?

11. Chelsea says:

I am always amazed at how perfect a quilt can look. What great craftsmanship.

12. Tamara says:

WOW! That red blue and white with the eye is outrageous! I want it!!

13. Jennifer says:

I’m encouraged with your renewed spirit for quilting! I’ve only been quilting about 3 years, but I love it and recently started a blog with photos, etc. I plan to put your link on my blog too! :)

14. fresh365 says:

I love the contemporary colors. Stunning!

15. Ericka says:

I hated quilts too until I became a quilt designer in the bedding industry and got to design modern. When I found Denyse Schmidt I was in love!

16. Melynda says:

I am in love with each and every one! I have her flickr account saved- I have been thinking about buying a quilt!

17. Lisa says:

Wow fabulous I guess you can call quilts going “grandma” if you mean lots of work and made with love! These quilts are so modern and the amount of work and design well my jaw dropped – a whole lotta inspiration going on there!

18. These are so wonderful!

19. Kelly says:

I love seeing your post here on quilts and quilting! I have been on a huge kick to get more people quilting! …I know so many talented designers and the traditional craft needs a fresh perspective. I’ve just begun to dabble, but I’m totally hooked!

20. Jesse Lu says:

I’m drooling and hoping for the day I have time to quilt.

21. These quilts show a contemporary eye for design and color. Go amy!

22. Sara says:

Yes! Down with the color-combo/design tyranny! These are stunning.

23. Beth says:

Beautiful with a bit of now for dash! I am always bemused how America with its image of go-to modernism still has this deep undercurrent of folk culture – wonderful, makes me love you! (I’m in Fremantle West Australia)

24. Grace says:

Loving quilting right now – So lovely, must take so much patience, these are masterpieces – very inspirational!