ABC Books

Alphabet books come in a wide range of subjects and styles. Book stores and libraries are literally full of these types of books, but it can
still be a challenge to find one you want to take home and keep. I head
for the ones that are simple and well designed, but in this case a
pretty book is not enough, it also needs to teach the alphabet in some
way that clicks with my child. Here are a few that have been favorites
with my kids, Bee and C. (For more of our favorite library books, visit

Bruno Munari’s ABC

How to Build an A by Sara Midda. (This book comes with a mesh bag of
alphabet shapes which you use to build the letters in the book).

CLICK HERE for the rest of Brooke’s post after the jump!

My kids were born in New York City, so they particularly love NYCABC by Joanne Dugan.

ABC3D by Marion Bataille. With three dimensional letters that fold,
swing, reflect, and spin.

1. I like how the books are presented from a childs point of view. Beautiful.

2. sara says:

these are so sweet … the Bataille would’ve been my favorite as a kid!

3. giulia says:

Brunari was a great man!!!

4. Emily says:

I own a copy of ABC3D by Marion Bataille-I gave it to my boyfriend to look at so I could quickly finish getting ready for our night out-and we couldn’t leave our apartment until he was finished with it! It’s a wonderful book (for children and adults alike!).

5. lindsay says:

There are also some great ABC flash cards on etsy! The books you’ve shown here are genius!

6. Eliza Rizo says:

Bruno Munari’s ABC and ABC3D… I just loooove both books and authors! Beautiful post! ^^

7. M says:

These are great! I got the first two for two of my friends who are having their first child this winter. :)

8. Robin says:

For those who haven’t seen the Bataille in person, here’s a video of it in action. With jazzy music to boot!

9. jamie says:

My boss got me the “ABC3D” book for Christmas last year, and I flip through it with amazement!

10. Liz says:

I really love Ida Pearle’s A Child’s Play alphabet book. She also designed a set of alphabet cards which you can find at

Thanks for mentioning How to Build an A. Liz

11. chess says:

Those books are great and I am pretty sure that my son will surely
    love these books.

12. tsilli says:

These are fantastic! “Alphabeasties” by Werner Design Werks looks amazing, too:

13. Jules says:

I saw the third book a few weeks ago in a buenos aires bookstore and loved it!
    Love from Argentina