sneak peek: whimsy & spice

by

whimsy1
back in 2004 when jenna of whimsy & spice was apartment shopping with her partner (in life and business), mark, she never dreamed that she would end up in a new construction building, particularly in a neighborhood like park slope which has such beautiful brownstones. they were already living in the neighborhood on the top floor of an old townhouse but after going to endless open houses, but this apartment had the key features they were looking for: space (1350 sq ft), 3 bedrooms, good light, an open, airy feel, a bit of outdoor space (2 balconies), no renovations needed, a great public school district and most importantly, an elevator for jenna’s back problems (which eliminated carrying groceries, a heavy baby and a stroller up 2 flights of stairs). she says the trade-off is that it has no architectural interest and the bathroom and kitchen fixtures scream mid-2000 construction, but they’ve worked on making it a comfortable home that they’ve grown to love and will serve as the (eventual) base of operations for whimsy & spice. i love how jenna’s experience in graphic design adds so much to their business and home – such great style.  click here for more images of this lovely home and here for jenna’s delicious recipe for peach ginger ice cream blondies! {thanks, jenna!}anne

[above: This wall is on the north end of our apartment in between a window and sliding doors to the balcony. All the furniture are ebay finds, the pillows are ones I made from Hable Construction remnants and the print is a tour poster from Small Stakes. ]

whimsy2
In general our apartment is fairly neutral. The living room has very pale gray walls, a rich velvet blue chair from Room and Board, a bluish-gray sofa, also from Room and Board and black and yellow accents.

whimsy3
The bookcase was the first major piece of furniture I purchased after I finished grad school. I bought it at a furniture store on Broadway in the Village and we use it to separate the living room from the dining and kitchen areas. The main space is just one big room.  Sometime last year I banished all toys from the living area but kept the toy kitchen so the kids can cook next to Mark. The kitchen is on the other side of that narrow black wall.

whimsy4
This wall is opposite the couch and features another chair I got on ebay. It arrived with the ugliest, brownest upholstery you can imagine so I immediately started working on covering the cushions literally a half hour after the chair arrived.

CLICK HERE for the rest of jenna’s sneak peek after the jump!

whimsy5

We have this weird area by our entryway where we have 2 doors next to each other. Our elevator opens right into our apartment and then we have a door to the stairwell right next to that. It’s a bit of a design challenge as it really creates no foyer area in our apartment. We recently painted it a slighter darker gray than the living room and put up a whole bunch of prints and dried seaweed specimens from Hawaii which belonged to Mark’s grandmother.

whimsy6

We recently converted the nursery back into an office and guest room.

whimsy7

It’s a relief to have all our supplies in one place, organized and put away in one space instead of tucked into every crevice and free space around the apartment.

whimsy8

Our bedroom is a white bedroom. The bed is a modern wrought iron bed from Charles P. Rogers and the linens are from Dwell. I made the garlands from coffee filters after seeing them somewhere on the web last year.

whimsy9

I’ve been really into black walls lately and just painted one side of the hallway leading to the bedrooms with BM chalkboard paint.

whimsy10

We recently moved our girls in together to the same room. It was a challenge to consolidate all their toys and clothes into one room (we did a lot of purging!). The furniture is a combination of Argington, Room and Board, Spot on Square and Ikea.

whimsy11

whimsy12

The bunk bed is from Room and Board and the bedding is from Ikea.

whimsy13

Our kitchen, which is part of the open floor plan of the living area is in the middle of the apartment between the living room and the hallway to the bedrooms.

whimsy14

The kitchen cabinets and granite countertops are quite dark (was NOT my choice of materials!) so we decided to wallpaper the backsplash with Ferm Living wallpaper in Berry Black to give it some interest.

1. Anna says:

I love your home! It would be so cool to have an entire hallway in chalkboard paint! Great job on everything! Its very simple and cozy, I’d love for my home to look this way :)

2. Rebecca says:

LOVE your home! I just starting obsessing over midcentury modern furniture and have a few pieces. Seeing all yours & how you display them is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

3. .v. says:

where are those beautiful nesting dolls from – never seen any quite like them!

4. Laura says:

I love Jenna’s home it’s my favourite so far.
    I love the dwell bedlinen, it’s beautiful. but I can’t afford the $320 :-( anyone know of a similar but cheaper option…thanks

5. martha says:

Such a beautiful, light filled home. You’ve done a wonderful job of making it clean and modern, but also eclectic. And hiding the “new construction” feel:)

6. Hi V. Those nesting dolls were a gift – those are actually 2 sets. I know 1 set was given to us from my mom when she took a trip to russia, the blue set was given to us from Mark’s cousin. Unfortunately, I do not know where they are from.

Laura, I believe Dwell made a very similar print for anthropologie that was cheaper. Also, if you are in NY, they hold fantastic yearly sample sales. Well worth checking out.

As for the light, yes! At least this place does have that. We don’t have a ton of windows but we do have a few really large floor to ceiling windows going out to balconies, so there is good light here.

7. rose says:

hello! PLEASE tell me where you got the rug in your living room? Been looking for one just like it!

8. Laura says:

Hi jenna and thank you for the reply…i’m in the UK but will check Dwell when in NY. I believe anthro is coming to London soon (yay) so I will take a look in there..thanks again

9. Rose, that rug is actually from the Ikea 2010 catalog. It wasn’t available in the stores yet when I looked last month but oddly enough I found it in the “discount” room and got it 50% off. Don’t know what it was doing there as it was perfectly fine. We don’t have a lot of rugs because it is the 1 thing our cat likes to claw.

Laura, I also forgot that Dwell makes a more affordable line of linens for Target (for the next time you are in the states).

10. Fiona says:

Your apartment is lovely. Love the cute retro table between the 2 doors! Also, just checked out your shop – please PLEASE write a cookery book so you can share your amazing confectionary with those of us too far to sample ur baking? :)

11. Haddie says:

where is that HIPPO from!?

12. janet says:

i love your place! it’s done so tastefully. i especially love your furniture. where did you get the table that’s under the ‘key’ poster and the other near the elevator that’s similar? i love that look and haven’t seen anything like it by me. thanks!!

13. meta says:

I can’t find anything that I don’t like with this place. It’s my dream home! Congratulations for such a lovely place to live!

14. janet, sorry for the late reply, but the tables are ebay finds.

Haddie, what Hippo are you speaking of? can’t seem to figure out what you are referring to!

Thanks Meta.:)

15. Amber says:

This about the only room my husband and I can completely agree on design wise for our first place together. It is beautiful! Only question where did you pick up the side tables beside the gray sofa? Its hard to see them in the picture.

16. katscape says:

i love your home! it’s so poetic, and the details are amazing. do you mind sharing where you got your wall mounted shelves [where you store your supplies] as well as the white drawers in the guest bedroom and the toy kitchen? thank you for sharing and the inspiration!

17. abbee says:

Beautiful and unique. Can you tell me the source for the single bed in the converted nursery?

18. Mikelle says:

Hello Jenna,

I was just wondering the name and the brand of wallpaper you used in the kitchen?? I love it!!

19. delighted says:

Looking at your place I hardly notice the lack of architectural interest…great job! Where did you find the kitchen playset?

20. sandi says:

hi! i would love to know where you got the crocheted storage baskets in the playroom? thanks!