sneak peek: neryl walker

neryl12
artist and illustrator neryl walker (you might have seen her work on bloom cosmetics and on bare escentuals ‘buxom lips’!) along with art director husband tim live with their formerly stray cat marvin in an old jewish/italian neighborhood in melbourne, australia. they are both drawn to all things vintage and worn – things with a past. (it’s a family joke that even their cat is second-hand!) they’ve just moved from an apartment into a house which they’ve been filling with artwork made by themselves or friends (the vintage sign artwork on the patio above was made by tim). {thanks neryl, tim and marvin!} -amy a

[Our house was built in the early ’50s but was the victim of a bad ’70s make-over. The entire house had been wallpapered with beige stripes and bad florals, white carpet through-out, ugly tiles and nasty curtains. We knew it had potential and have slowly peeled back the layers to reveal it’s former self. It has some great features like interior wrought iron work and concealed lighting, and as soon as we saw the original pink and green bathroom we knew it was the house for us!]

neryl22
The gold bamboo wallpaper is one of the few things we kept from the ’70s reno. The ‘Danger’ painting is one of mine. The cowhide patchwork rug is from a secondhand store.

neryl31
We both love music and play in garage rock band, Pretty Green.  The bowling lamp base and shade were bought separately in the East Village and they look great together. The mannequin hand and the letter ‘N’ were presents from Tim.

neryl41
We have been collecting old mirrors from thrift stores.  I especially love the etched glass ones.  The vases and bowls are mostly vintage.  The Majestic lamp was bought at Chelsea market in New York and bought back to Australia as hand luggage.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Neryl’s sneak peek after the jump!

neryl51
This is what we affectionately call our ‘crap art’ wall.  Most paintings have been picked up at thrift stores or on the side of the road. We also love vintage typography – the giant ‘O’ was found at an auto swap meet and is from an old battery sign.

neryl61
This is part of my studio. I found this shelving unit at an auction and re-painted it.  It houses all sorts of vintage stuff, reference, travel souvenirs, etc.  The Texas Rangerette and a red Schwinn bike were shipped back from one of Tim’s visit’s the United States. The paintings up top are mine.

neryl71
The day-bed is a vintage Australian design, re-upholstered.  The black chair is by Australian mid-century designer, Grant Featherston.

neryl81
This red lamp was found in Sydney and shipped back to Melbourne (it is yet to be re-wired). The map and black chair were found in a thrift store.

neryl91
The chair on the left is one of a pair that my Nanna owned.  The collection of art includes work by local artists, friends, Tim and myself. The little music prints are by Jim Flora. The vintage love extends to our instruments too.

neryl101
We fell in love with the pink and green bathroom and knew this was the house for us!  It’s rare to find a bathroom so original, complete with green vitrolite tiles, pink terrazzo and fish etched glass.  The pink stool even came with it.

1. Fabulous art all over the walls!

2. Kristin says:

That bathroom is absolutely amazing.

3. Amanda says:

love. love. love. love.

4. Kate says:

Oh, this is my kind of place! Thank you.

5. Moriah says:

Yeah. That house is pretty awesome. Love the decision to keep the bamboo wallpaper and that bathroom is spectacular! Quite jealous of the perfect little vanity.

6. jill says:

great house – can i live there? :)
    where did you guys find the cool teak piece where you put your records? i would love to find something like that…

7. Great house. I really like the vintage sign collage in the first image. The pink and green bathroom us great, that tile!

8. kristina says:

looooove the mirrors!!!

9. Wendy says:

Love the colors and display of your things. I have pink counters in my rental that I thought was unfortunate, but now I think I can learn to embrace it! Thank you.

10. You guys have a cozy looking, fun-filled home. Congrats on all the amazing finds!

11. Sorry for the second comment, but I love your dining table…do you know any info about it?

12. danielle says:

yes, i am definitely going to rip off the vintage mirror collage for my dining room!

13. Amy Laker says:

I’m in love! Especially with the bathroom! And i love that she’s Australian and it’s Melbourne!

14. Laura says:

Pink Terazzo! I love it!

15. neryl says:

Thanks for all your ace comments! The record cabinet and dining table were both found at secondhand stores. Sorry I don’t have any info on designers, etc on either of the pieces.

16. shoshonasnow says:

one of my favorite houses. love the art, love the furniture…love everything.

17. Mirjam says:

My first comment ever had to be about THIS gorgeous place! I adore the bathroom and the overall happy rock and roll athmosphere.

18. Laura says:

Love those mirrors and the record cabinet!

19. Karina says:

great taste! love it

20. Eva says:

great home! so much to see!

21. Emma says:

Love an aussie design post!! Your place is fabulous especially the antique mirror wall…

22. carlitadee says:

Nice to go abroad, and a wonderful sneak peek at just my kind of home. :)

23. Twist says:

Ace! I’m also from Melbourne and in love with Beveled edged mirrors. Your place is very cool.

24. julio bessa says:

Adorei o site. adorei as fotos e a ambientação!

25. Melissa says:

Absolutely amazing!!! I hope someday all of my eclecic things will come together as beautifully as yours has. However all I can seem to think about is how much of a chore this is going to be to dust! Oh well, well worth the time dusting for such a beautiful and comfortable home. =]

26. Rich Ard says:

How did you find so many wrought-iron numbers 43? They go really well with your pair of majestic lamps!

27. Jo Park says:

i love this home! i absolutely love that the house is decorated with everyone’s artwork, an effortless blend between retro style and modern sensibilities.
    i’m constantly planning my future abode once we move out of our NYC apt

28. martha white says:

I am so inlove with these rooms. I can just imagine the feeling of those who enter it. As a guest, I would never want to leave. I love the loteria boards!! my favorite game.

29. Peaches says:

WOW do I love this place! Every object comes across as happy and loved. It’s hard to pull off the ‘living in vintage’ retro look without looking cheesy, but they have really done it here. Wow. I’m inspired.

30. Anne says:

Thank you for sharing this! The house is wonderful! I’m especially inspired by the art arrangement. I have a small collection but don’t really know how to put them together. I now have some idea. Thanks a million!

31. maeve doyle says:

lovely.
    vintage and warm.

32. Ellie says:

HI! I need to know where the vinyl record shelf (from the picture with the vintage looking shelf, the hand, and the N) is from! I’ve been searching for it for so long and I want one so bad!